Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 9,558 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Oklahoma (urban part), and I plan to attend the University of Arkansas at Monticello (full ride ). I heard Arkansas is really racist. Could anyone tell me more about the city and the university? Btw, I'm not white or black so I don't know how well I would fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 02:19 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Gee where did you hear that from? Arkansas isn't any more "racist" than anyplace else. UAM is a great college, Monticello is a nice quiet clean town. Enjoy your education there.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocketfan View Post
I currently live in Oklahoma (urban part), and I plan to attend the University of Arkansas at Monticello (full ride ). I heard Arkansas is really racist. Could anyone tell me more about the city and the university? Btw, I'm not white or black so I don't know how well I would fit in.
If you live in OK, you will not find AR any more racist or any less than OK. No, it is not particularly racist, where did you hear that and if you are not black or white it would be interesting to know what you are. Obviously small towns see things a little differently than big urban areas, but most towns are a racist at you make them. If you want to fit in you will..If you get defensive, who knows? Now if you have purple hair, 19 piercings on your face and have tatoos from the top of your head to the bottom of your feet, sorta like Rodman, you might have some problems.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:04 PM

119 posts, read 243,818 times
Arkansas is no more racist than any other place. If I had a nickel for every time I heard that or some "Arkansas is full of hillbilly, white trash, redneck, etc" comment I would be very rich, but it is not reality.

Arkansas has had many detractors over the years, but most have never even bothered to visit. Best thing to do is go see for yourself. Rural anywhere is about the same in terms of race relations. This isn't the 1950s or the 1860s.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:16 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
I am a graduate of UAM and stay in touch with a LOT of people in the area. I think others have covered your preconceived notions fully. But if you look at the pictures on the UAM site University of Arkansas at Monticello you will see people of every color.

What about the city and school do you want to know? I was a Computer Information Systems major and that has kept me continuously employed for almost 20 years.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM

Thank you all very much for the replies.

From the other posts that I read in the Arkansas forum, when I created this post, I guess I envisioned that Monticello as a city populated with hardcore religious rednecks. To inform you guys, I'm a Japanese/Hawaiian descendant, which is why I was skeptical whether I would be able to fit in without being stared like I'm some kind of alien. Based on the city data, Monticello has less than 1 percent Asian, which reinforces the skepticism.

Also, I saw that the crime rate in Arkansas has augmented a lot in the last ten years. Is it really that bad? As in like, it would be dangerous to walk late at night? Is there also any other negative things about the city besides there's not much to do?

To Robert_J: Based on your experience, do you think I would be accepted by the people at the University? Or even be able to be a leader of a organization? I'm a normal, slightly republican guy who has leadership/volunteer exp, above avg (want to pursue in medicine), and outgoing. The only thing I'm worried is that my color will prevent me from having study groups or leadership positions. Also, if I were to attend UAM, is there anything I should know of?

I know some things I mentioned or asked may seem ignorant, but I want to make sure it's the right place for me before I spend the next four years of my life there.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:31 PM

530 posts, read 820,596 times
Quote:
Thank you all very much for the replies.

From the other posts that I read in the Arkansas forum, when I created this post, I guess I envisioned that Monticello as a city populated with hardcore religious rednecks. To inform you guys, I'm a Japanese/Hawaiian descendant, which is why I was skeptical whether I would be able to fit in without being stared like I'm some kind of alien. Based on the city data, Monticello has less than 1 percent Asian, which reinforces the skepticism.

Also, I saw that the crime rate in Arkansas has augmented a lot in the last ten years. Is it really that bad? As in like, it would be dangerous to walk late at night? Is there also any other negative things about the city besides there's not much to do?

To Robert_J: Based on your experience, do you think I would be accepted by the people at the University? Or even be able to be a leader of a organization? I'm a normal, slightly republican guy who has leadership/volunteer exp, above avg (want to pursue in medicine), and outgoing. The only thing I'm worried is that my color will prevent me from having study groups or leadership positions. Also, if I were to attend UAM, is there anything I should know of?

I know some things I mentioned or asked may seem ignorant, but I want to make sure it's the right place for me before I spend the next four years of my life there.
I have been to Monticello a few times but I don't really know too much about it. I have a friend who is a professor at UAM and aside from the small town aspect he seems to like it pretty well. Probably the biggest issue I think for someone like you who is totally new to the area is how comfortable you are with small town living. Southern Arkansas, where Monticello is, is really the worse part of the state with a bad economy and large population loss. But Monticello might be the best town in the southern half of the state. At least top 3. It seems to have avoided the population decline and is actually growing modestly. It seems pretty nice for someone looking for small town living.

As far as your aspirations for what you want do as a leader on campus: As a student, if you are an outgoing person with personality who makes friends easily then you could probably meet your goals.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
I grew up with a girl of Japanese heritage and we both went to UAM. She was an officer in her sorority (maybe president?). Either way, extremely popular because of her personality and not her skin color. She dated and ended up marrying an extremely white guy but while dating in college, no one gave them a 2nd look. All of this took place 25 years ago.

At least back in the late 80's/early 90's UAM had the highest placement rate of pre-med and nursing students of any 4 year school in the state.

If you truly have leadership qualities, then the Epsilon Chi chapter of the Kappa Alpha Order is re-starting on campus this year. As a legacy and one of 20+ founding members of the chapter, we sort of let it down in our 20's and early 30's and gave it zero support. It faded away. Now that the founders have all hit our 40's, we are bringing it back. I at least urge you to look into it and the other Greek organizations on campus. Some of my closest friends to this day are also fraternity brothers.

Quote:
From the other posts that I read in the Arkansas forum, when I created this post, I guess I envisioned that Monticello as a city populated with hardcore religious rednecks.
I'm sure the Baptist Student Union is still there. Those girls knew how to party!!! You will also find some very religious people in town. In 4 years there, not a single stranger or friend asked me anything about religion. In fact, in 44 years of living in AR and MS, I've had a total 2 religion conversations with strangers.

Rednecks on the other hand. Monticello has them. Join them! It's not a type of person but a way of thinking. Especially the forestry majors. Flannel shirts and beards (although I still can't grow a good beard). Have you ever been drinking in the middle of a field by a bonfire? Try it once. Go cow tipping behind Bankston Hall. Go mud riding in the woods. I did it in a 1987 Honda CRX one night.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 PM

Thank you kdb05f and Robert_J both for your insights.

I have decided to attend the University, so I may have more questions as the new school year approaches.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM

29 posts, read 39,151 times
There is nothing great about Monticello, Arkansas or UAM. It is average to below average and very isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas