U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 AM

4,389 posts, read 4,277,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayettechill14 View Post
It is worth noting that the ATC has announced where the first "fellows" will be sent in the Fall of 2013...[drumroll please]...Dermott, Arkansas. Not at all surprising; in fact, I figure many of its neighboring towns will receive ATC fellows as well.
Sounds more like a 3 year prison sentence than anything else. I spent 48 hours there during the Christmas holidays and the town is depressing. The only good news is they MIGHT bring back the football team. That's the only thing that kept me from getting my GED and leaving early.

Quote:
Speaking of Dermott, the Lake Village debate is interesting. I have never visited the lake, but I am aware of the state park. My grandfather--a retired coach and superintendent in Arkansas--used to own a one-man school supply company that sold and delivered discounted school supplies to needy districts. I went with him for a run to Lake Village High about six years ago. The school was much nicer than I expected. I'm an avid fisher...can you fish the lake or the river anywhere near there?
You can fish anywhere on Lake Chicot, the MS river, Lake Wallace (just south of Dermott) or two dozen other lakes in the area. Fishing places are abundant in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 12,829 times
Quote:
Sounds more like a 3 year prison sentence than anything else. I spent 48 hours there during the Christmas holidays and the town is depressing. The only good news is they MIGHT bring back the football team. That's the only thing that kept me from getting my GED and leaving early.
High school football was another question I had. I love high school football, I played for a little bit and always enjoyed watching the game. I would love to coach; I actually read the Wing T book that supposedly inspired Gus Malzahn. I'm no Bret Bielema but I've heard some smaller schools have coaching shortages and would love volunteer assistants. The ATC program offers PE licensing and pays a $500-$1,000 per year stipend for coaching. Can anyone confirm a need for volunteer coaches?

Quote:
You can fish anywhere on Lake Chicot, the MS river, Lake Wallace (just south of Dermott) or two dozen other lakes in the area. Fishing places are abundant in the area.
Thank you! That's exciting.

Quote:
If this is one of the main things you are seeking, then - I'm so sorry to say this - I think you have a problem. I see where you've subsequently discounted this part of your life, but I don't think I'd be quite so quick to write off my social life if I were you. I'm betting Delta as well - and the lack of things to do and an educated population could hamper this aspect of life.
Wherever I go, I'll be sent there with a group of 2-3 other "fellows" of this program who are also UA or UCA graduates. We would probably buy or rent a small house together for the time. Sorry if I implied I'd be there alone! That would be much, much rougher. Obviously a quality social life requires more than just that, but I have a good base to start from. I also have family in Benton, Conway, and Little Rock (only a couple hours from the Delta). Keeping in touch with college friends that will return to/move to Little Rock or Conway (many will) shouldn't be too difficult. I'm here on this board to begin to consider what other options I'd have (not many by the looks of it!)

Quote:
All that being said, go where your heart leads you. It sounds as if you have a religious background - I'd do some hard praying on this one.
I have been and most certainly will be. Thank you very much.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
High school football was another question I had. I love high school football, I played for a little bit and always enjoyed watching the game. I would love to coach; I actually read the Wing T book that supposedly inspired Gus Malzahn. I'm no Bret Bielema but I've heard some smaller schools have coaching shortages and would love volunteer assistants. The ATC program offers PE licensing and pays a $500-$1,000 per year stipend for coaching. Can anyone confirm a need for volunteer coaches?

Thank you! That's exciting.
I can't speak for specific coaches, even the ones I know, but I'll bet they would take all the help that was offered. We had 3 football coaches in high school which made individual drills difficult. Tight ends were shuffled back and forth between linemen and receivers. Receivers and backs were combined for running drills. Quarterbacks never had one-on-one training. Our kicker worked out by himself because he knew more about kicking than the coaches did. He was also a backup quarterback and even spent time as a lineman. When you have under 30 players each year you have to play a lot of positions.

Centuries ago, Lake Chicot was a part of the Mississippi River. When the river changed, an oxbow lake was formed. Lake Wallace is the same except it was part of Bayou Bartholomew. AETN recently premiered an hour show on the bayou. AETN - Bayou Bartholomew

Finally, here's one of my favorite videos from Lake Chicot -
Alligator at Pumping Plant 1 - YouTube Two years ago, there was even a larger alligator in Dermott. It made it from Bayou Bartholomew to within 3 blocks of my parents house.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:35 PM

7 posts, read 12,829 times
Quote:
I can't speak for specific coaches, even the ones I know, but I'll bet they would take all the help that was offered. We had 3 football coaches in high school which made individual drills difficult. Tight ends were shuffled back and forth between linemen and receivers. Receivers and backs were combined for running drills. Quarterbacks never had one-on-one training. Our kicker worked out by himself because he knew more about kicking than the coaches did. He was also a backup quarterback and even spent time as a lineman. When you have under 30 players each year you have to play a lot of positions.
That's what I figured. My grandfather was superintendent and basketball/baseball coach at Eudora, Glen Rose and Mayflower back in the day, and he never had enough assistants. Conway Christian got their football program started a couple years ago and even they were employing PE teachers who had no idea how to coach to football.

Quote:
Centuries ago, Lake Chicot was a part of the Mississippi River. When the river changed, an oxbow lake was formed. Lake Wallace is the same except it was part of Bayou Bartholomew. AETN recently premiered an hour show on the bayou. AETN - Bayou Bartholomew

Finally, here's one of my favorite videos from Lake Chicot -

Alligator at Pumping Plant 1 - YouTube Two years ago, there was even a larger alligator in Dermott. It made it from Bayou Bartholomew to within 3 blocks of my parents house.
That's fascinating! Thanks for the history.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
That's what I figured. My grandfather was superintendent and basketball/baseball coach at Eudora, Glen Rose and Mayflower back in the day, and he never had enough assistants. Conway Christian got their football program started a couple years ago and even they were employing PE teachers who had no idea how to coach to football.

That's fascinating! Thanks for the history.
Eudora was in our conference (8AA) back in the 80's so I saw them play basketball all of the time as well as played against them for 4 years in high school. They were always scheduled near the end of the season so in the 9th grade, I moved up to senior high for the last two games. One of our defensive tackles was hurt and I was thrown into the game on very short notice. At 170 pounds, I was across the line of scrimmage from a guy that played for the Razorbacks the next season. When the ball was snapped, he hit me like a truck and flattened me. The full back then stepped on me as he ran through the hole. Finally, the tailback ran the ball right over the top of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or