Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM

476 posts, read 466,750 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been thinking about applying for a job opportunity at Arkansas Tech University in Russellville. It would been a good opportunity and get me out of the Bryant area which is becoming way too overcrowded.

I really don't know anything about the city. I've drove through many times on I-40, but that's all. I know I would be living near a nuclear plant which could be unnerving. My main concern would be apartment availability since this is a college town. So far, I only see Lindsey Management apartments, and I detest Lindsey. They treat renters like crap. Is the town pretty barren as far as shopping and fun things to do? Russellville just seems out in the middle of nowhere so I'm pretty hesistate about the move. Is it a safe city?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:53 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I'm here. It's in the middle of nowhere and there isn't a lot to do. However, if you want to come to "no overcrowding", you may have picked the right spot.

There's no apartments really in close range to Nuclear One. They would all be in town, and to be honest they are covered up with college kids. I'd pick a house rental any day, but the good ones are more word of mouth or signs. Don't even think about renting one less than $800 that's worth very much. You will be sorry, especially if you go through the property management companies. At any rate, no one here really thinks twice about the plant. There are a few decent sized employers here, and one happens to be the plant. For most people NO is just in the background; for others it's a vision of glory because that's where their paycheck comes from. And really - I'm sorry - but if Nuclear One blows, will it really matter if you are in Russellville or Conway? I don't think so - the reactive field will be so far and wide it just won't matter a hoot. I mean, would you not move to New Orleans because of the plant? No one much thinks about them in metro areas when they are just another part of the landscape. Here, we think about it because it's one of the biggest things there is.

The shopping...nowhere near as much as Bryant. Belk's, Penney's, Hobby Lobby, a few shoe stores, the inevitable Walmart, Kroger...some specialty stuff downtown and on East Parkway. Tractor Supply, Lowe's, Petsmart, and a new Atwood's is going in sometime in the future. Decent restaurants and a few private clubs. Now, if you're into fishing or deer hunting and consider that entertainment, then you're in luck :-) There's a lot of outdoor stuff nearby, including Lake Dardanelle, Mt. Magazine, Petit Jean, Mt. Nebo, etc.

Honestly, it is a very family oriented town. Lots of kids, lots of school and school sports activities. The high school does a play once or twice a year that is very good, and the college does too. I am sure the college has some activities, but the city itself is very, very slow. There's a fall festival that is a lot of fun, and there are art walks the first week of the month, I think on Friday? Haven't been in a while.

It is also very, very safe. I think nothing of going to Walmart at 4 a.m. For all the things it doesn't have, Russellville is about as safe as they come these days. You will quickly learn there's about 2 areas of town you have no business in after dark, and those areas are confined to a few square blocks. Safety is one thing that has kept us here all these years. There's just not a lot of high drama going on.

The good news is that Conway really is not that far away, nor is Little Rock. Seemed like it when we first moved here, now it's just a skip down the road.

I have no idea what the college kids and young adults do for fun. I am way, way past that. If you want safety and slow and easy, this is the town. If you think Little Rock should speed up a bit, then please - for the love of pete - save yourself a move.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:30 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
It depends on your perspective as to whether you would consider Russellville "in the middle of nowhere".

Mt. Magazine, Petit Jean Mountain, and Mt. Nebo, to me, are good things to be in the middle of.

You're also not far away (up Hwy. 7) from Newton County and the Buffalo River. An easy day trip.

Where I come from, major shopping (as in a mall) is an hour's trip away anyway, we just make a day of it and I'm used to it, it's just the way we do things. I'm thinking Russellville is only about 45 min. to 1 hr. from Little Rock. I know for sure it's only an hour from our cabin.

Russellville is a clean town, and in a pretty spot of the country. If, like me, you don't care about shopping or nightlife or being able to buy liquor, etc., then Russellville seems to me to be a pretty good place. (not completely sure about the liquor, but I'm thinking it's a dry county....Sam may have mentioned that, but I didn't see it....she can clear that up, if not)

If you want any of the aforementioned things that Russellville doesn't have, I agree with Sam....save yourself a move.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:15 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Pope County is dry - I mentioned a few private clubs. Sorry, that was pretty vague - a few private clubs where there is alcohol, along with Ruby Tuesday's, Colton's, and a couple of other restaurants. You will not find a liquor store anywhere very close. Blackwell on I-40E (20 miles) is about the closest. I think maybe the Eagles and I know the VFW, Savanah's in Dardanelle (I think) serve alcohol. Please forgive, I'm not a drinker so I'm not really in the know on that.

It's a good town to be in and quaint in it's own way. Only one building is 3 stories tall, and that would be the courthouse at Main and Arkansas Avenue. There's a good deal of restoration and revitalization going on downtown, which is a GREAT thing.

Little Rock is about 1 1/4 hrs. away, maybe just a hair less (that's with me driving - with spousal person you can add another 15 or so. Slowpoke). I went to Conway today and it was an easy, easy 35-40 min. drive from the time I hit the interstate.

Without knowing your age or interests it would be hard to say if this is a good match for you. The one thing I would say at this point in time is do not move to R'ville without a job. It's a small town and good jobs are few and far between. It's hardworking, blue collar folks for the most part. There's some money here, but I guess not in my neighborhood :-) I guess that's what I like best about this town - it is full of people who just work hard, live their lives, and expect everyone else to do the same. That and the safety factor make it perfect for us.

I like it here. Will we be here forever? Dunno - but we've been here since 2000 except for a brief stint in the Caribbean, and we came straight back from St. Croix the first job opening we saw. Not much had changed in the 2 years we were gone, not a lot has changed since we returned in 2006. But it suits us down to our toes.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Nightlife is DEAD...

Highway 7 is GREAT for those of us with Motorcycles, good if you like the outdoors, Kayak etc.

Shiloh Creek Apartments is not bad, a one bedroom is about $400, 2 bedroom... was 5ish IIRC...
(2011 prices)

included everything but internet.

-Be advised, they WILL try to keep your $100 deposit... Not the end of the world, and they gave mine back after a Marine Corps style cleaning.

Not a bad town, (I went to school there briefly)... not what I was looking for (Figured I'd have some fun... not so much, so I just finished my degree quickly)

Do yourself a Favor and get a Rubin from the Atkins Cafe. (Bout 20 min away)

I was by about 5 months ago and they are trying to make a little yuppie thing going by the old train station. (Coffee, artists....) Not too bad...

But yes, it's pretty boring excepting it's nearness to outdoor activities.

I researched the Nuke plant before I moved there... if your 5 miles away your pretty safe. (Type of radiation) The guys IN the plant won't be, but they SERIOUSLY overbuild those things.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:20 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
To me it's kinda in the center of everything, and a quiet town. I agree, nightlife is non existent last time I was there and in talking to friends there. But it's a nice safe town. Since you're so close, drive over there for the weekend talk to some locals.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
I've lived here for over a couple of decades. I like it. It's clean. It's safe. The ozark mountains are just a few miles to the north of here. There are a number of fishing opportunities around. Arkansas Tech is a wonderful little university. The people here get along. That's saying a lot. From your post I'm thinking you wouldn't like it.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,819 times
quiet town, it is a dry county but liquor store is only 16 miles down the interstate. I enjoy it here, it is simple and not too big. Good city park for the kids and housing is not very expersive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas