U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:08 AM

75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasketKitten View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I guess now, I should rephrase this: Which is the most economical way into NW Arkansas?? The prices are out of this world to come see the area! Any tricks of the trade?
This is one of the expensive things about living in small areas, away from major cities; cost of transportation. After you get here you will find everything inexpensive compared to at home probably. Maybe not food, it will be about the same, but the lack of a full international airport does add cost to your trip. XNA is a really awesome small airport. Great little shopping area, a couple of decent restaurants and the friendliest people around, even the TSA people, but the cost of air, even if you use one of the cheap websites is out of this world. Depending on where you are coming from and what day we do have Aligient that is not pricey...As mentioned So West now flies to Branson on a limited schedule and Joplin has a small airport that American flies into, but I am guessing the cost would be similar to XNA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 06:30 AM

238 posts, read 511,407 times
since you will be renting a car anyway, I'll bet the most economical will still be flying into Little Rock, Tulsa, or Kansas City and then driving to Mountain Home

Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 AM

One advantage of flying into a major airport ( Tulsa, KC, LR ) is that on your drive to Mountain Home, you might be passing thru other areas that interest you enough to do further research on also.

( killing 2 birds with one stone )

Yes, when we moved to the Ozarks the long distance to a major airport was realized.

However, being farther east, we still have the Memphis option and Memphis to Minneapolis is way cheaper than Little Rock.

I believe Little Rock can be quite competitive flying west, however.

Last edited by Arkansas Mac; 04-08-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is one of the expensive things about living in small areas, away from major cities; cost of transportation. After you get here you will find everything inexpensive compared to at home probably. Maybe not food, it will be about the same, but the lack of a full international airport does add cost to your trip. XNA is a really awesome small airport. Great little shopping area, a couple of decent restaurants and the friendliest people around, even the TSA people, but the cost of air, even if you use one of the cheap websites is out of this world. Depending on where you are coming from and what day we do have Aligient that is not pricey...As mentioned So West now flies to Branson on a limited schedule and Joplin has a small airport that American flies into, but I am guessing the cost would be similar to XNA.

I believe you stated you read the Little Rock Democrat Gazette.

Were you surprised at the huge difference in cost between flying to Chicago from NWA Regional and Tulsa?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 AM

41,431 posts, read 25,679,628 times
I've flown out of XNA several times, and out of Tulsa several times. I've also flown out of Joplin (the very nicest people--they actually had a plane taxi back from the runway for me once). And I've flown out of Kansas City, too. XNA tends to be expensive, but I've set up fare alerts with several travel websites to let me know of fare changes, and when there's a good deal, I book it. It's hit or miss.

But I'm flying outbound from XNA, so when I look at deals, I'm thinking about the cost of traveling to the airport and the cost of parking or getting a friend to drop me and pick me up at this end, as well. If I were flying in, I think I'd almost always find the best deal flying into Tulsa, renting a car, and driving into Northwest Arkansas (don't forget it's a toll road in Oklahoma, so get change when you're in Tulsa!).

Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 AM

75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
I believe you stated you read the Little Rock Democrat Gazette.

Were you surprised at the huge difference in cost between flying to Chicago from NWA Regional and Tulsa?
yes, and we happen to have a daughter who works for AA. so we are only too aware of the costs involved. Our son, who we see only every few years was here this past week. On of the reasons he doesn't come more often is the cost of flying here. This time he combined it with a trip to Boston, from Ft Myers, Fl. It worked out much cheaper considering, than if he had just flown here and back. We have done the Tulsa thing a few times as well, but overall we stick with XNA for convenience and like DC said, you have to take everything into consideration. When we do Tulsa we usually end up spending one night at the airport, plus the more expensive parking and the distance, probably it is a wash. Alligent Air is miserable uncomfortable but when you consider the flights a direct and the price is right, I can put up with sitting on cardboard for a couple of hours and paying for a bottle of water. That's right, they don't have glasses of water, only bottles.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM

I don't know what kind of airport KC has, but on one of my many travels from MN to Harrison AR, I stopped at a rest stop just inside MO coming down from Iowa.

A guy, his wife, and daughter were from Des Moines and driving to KC to fly to Los Angles.

He stated the savings from flying out of KC vs flying out of Des Moines was well worth the long drive from Des Moines.

Probably the same is true for the OP flying into a major airport and driving a little farther to get to MH..

Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM

78 posts, read 159,820 times
Well, the old saying goes that anything worth having is worth fighting for. In this case, it's worth fighting and sluggin it out for airfare. VERY good idea, to do price alerts. I also know that I am likely looking way too far ahead of schedule to get a good price. Sometimes going too early is not the best way. My concern about the airport is primaryily for future trips the ones back to CA for the hubby's family. Me, a drive up thru MO will do it and to be frank, once I get settled in AR, I really don't look to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or