U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,612 posts, read 13,323,723 times
Reputation: 28160

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Yes my experiences in NW Arkansas was at the home of Walmart, a town filled with outsiders. Most of the people at the company were from somewhere else and did not share the southern hospitality found in Little Rock.

The people I met everywhere in Little Rock were the nicest people I have ever met anywhere!
Well Bentonville isn't ALL of northwest Arkansas, although some think it is. There's some very nice, friendly folks in Fayetteville, Prairie Grove, Elkins, Huntsville.

The area also doesn't have the gangs and crime of Little Rock either. I'll take northwest Arkansas over the rock any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2013, 04:18 PM
 
5 posts, read 16,004 times
Reputation: 13
Good thread. My curiousity is piqued now. We're planning a visit to Bentonville and BV the first week of May, and we'll be sure to note the attitude of the locals. There are places we've lived where non natives are not welcome,especially if you're from the northeast or west coast. I've never heard that about anywhere in Arkansas. We'll see..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Reputation: 46406
Quote:
Originally Posted by edofmaui View Post
Good thread. My curiousity is piqued now. We're planning a visit to Bentonville and BV the first week of May, and we'll be sure to note the attitude of the locals. There are places we've lived where non natives are not welcome,especially if you're from the northeast or west coast. I've never heard that about anywhere in Arkansas. We'll see..........
It isn't true anywhere in AR but actually the more rural areas though friendly might have more problems with people from other areas moving to they territory. Areas like NWA are so used to people from other parts of the USA they don't know what to do when someone moves here from AR. I have only met about 3 or 4 people in BV from AR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Reputation: 7618
Still and all, it's so nice to hear something good about the people of Little Rock - thank you, Spock! I'd agree with Nita, though - lots of folks for Walmart, Tyson and JB Hunt, but the rest of the small towns scattered about the area are probably more indicative of your native Arkansan. Disclaimer on that would be that NWA has become a huge retirement spot and you will get folks from all over...that doesn't mean they aren't friendly, you just sometimes get more regional differences from people brought up in other areas of the nation.

Somehow all of that didn't come out just right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,972,407 times
Reputation: 1991
I lived in Little Rock for a few years. Never found it to stand out much in terms of friendliness. Not horrible, not a stand-out. Actually, some of the nicest people I met there were often from out of state, which there were a LOT of people from elsewhere... an often overlooked fact about LR.
Of course, we all base this stuff on personal experiences more than anything. Experiences that are most likely isolated from one another, and I certainly don't doubt the sincerity of the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,787,931 times
Reputation: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Last year I was working as a trainer for a national company doing management skills training in Little Rock and Northwest Arkansas. I spent a month in your fine State and interacted with hundreds of people at the offices I visited and hundreds more out in public. Here are some observations:

The people in an around Little Rock were incredibly nice and friendly. I have never met so many outgoing and friendly people in my life and I have visited all fifty US States. It was such a nice time in Little Rock.

For the second part of my time in Arkansas I spent two weeks in a number of communities in North West Arkansas. I felt like I had returned to Minnesota (my home state). People were nice enough but a little reserved and formal. A completely different social and cultural environment than Little Rock.

Have you experienced the same thing and if so, how do you explain it?
Little Rock's culture is genuinely Arkansas. Most of Little Rock's in-migration has been from within Arkansas, I'm sure. Northwest Arkansas, however, is a corporate hub not dissimilar from others all across the country, except its unique feature of not being attached to a major urban city. Prior to its corporate explosion, Northwest Arkansas was merely a string of small towns including a major college town. Now Northwest Arkansas is like a string of suburbs without a city. I'm making an educated guess here, but I'm almost certain Northwest Arkansas's population is composed of more outsiders than natives. What I've said here is pretty point blank exactly why Northwest Arkansas differs from Little Rock. It's actually pretty simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Reputation: 46406
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Little Rock's culture is genuinely Arkansas. Most of Little Rock's in-migration has been from within Arkansas, I'm sure. Northwest Arkansas, however, is a corporate hub not dissimilar from others all across the country, except its unique feature of not being attached to a major urban city. Prior to its corporate explosion, Northwest Arkansas was merely a string of small towns including a major college town. Now Northwest Arkansas is like a string of suburbs without a city. I'm making an educated guess here, but I'm almost certain Northwest Arkansas's population is composed of more outsiders than natives. What I've said here is pretty point blank exactly why Northwest Arkansas differs from Little Rock. It's actually pretty simple.
I haven't seen statistics but I am almost sure you are right: more people in NWA are from other states, even the university has a very high percentage of out of state students. Not 50% but very high. I want to say around 30% but I am not sure.. We see it in the paper ever fall and that figure sticks in my mind.


Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1 posts, read 2,665 times
Reputation: 11
I'm from WI and am thinking of relocating to Arkansas. I have found small town retailers to be friendly in WI but not necessarily the general populations. Many "cold Germans" in WI, and I'm from here!! I have many questions ... I want to move to a "smaller" town that I can get involved in, volunteering for local causes. I'd like a town that has some culture ... I LOVE folk music and want to learn about Arkansas history. I hate two things: mosquitoes and humidity. I know that I can't escape all of that but I have been given the impression locating in the "river valley" is worse than higher. Any suggestions for smaller towns that might minimalize (I realize not eliminate) mosquitoes and humidity? Last thing ... I have many health issues, so I need to live within 20 minutes of good medical facilities. Not necessarily emergency but a variety of doctors for my fibromyalgia and serious arthritis, and other issues. I will be working from home so, yes, I'll be hoping to buy a 2 to 3 bedroom home on my savings and Soc. Sec. Income. I don't need much but some GREAT windows for my cats to look out of and nature around me. OH, I forgot, I need to be very near a state park that has "easy" walking/hike trails because with my health issues, Arkansas is going to keep me healthy!!! I live in Milwaukee ... a little bit of hell for people who want to walk. I grew up on a dairy farm in Central WI and absolutely LOVE nature and Arkansas IS nature. WI also has a ton of humidity! I just read in a previous posting that the mosquitoes and humidity were worse in certain area. Give me a great park, with easy walking trails, medical nearby, a community who wants an avid volunteer who loves Arkansas music and culture, and minimal mosquitoes and humidity. I don't ask much, do I? It is just me ... a 57-year-old woman and two cats. Any insights are GREATLY, GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2013, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
9,854 posts, read 8,537,727 times
Reputation: 17388
I'd be careful to prejudge any area based on a visit or two. In general, I've found people all over Arkansas to be friendly, and have enjoyed all my visits. And not fake friendly, but pleasant, but not certainly not cold. Eg. We had car problems at the end of day near Eureka Springs. We had to leave our car at the Ford Dealership. They gave us a loaner and found a motel. We went back the next morning. A couple of hours later, they had found the problem. (It was low on Transmission fluid) They charged us only $12 for the transmission fluid, and nothing for the over night loaner. I've never been treated so well anywhere. So, we are seriously considering ArK. for retirement.

Humid, yes. But Amelia, I've never seen bugs like in Wis. (Grew up there), so I think you'll be happy with the bug situation. I've told my family how nice ARK. is, that it is much like rural Wis. without the intense winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 PM
 
10,983 posts, read 9,150,466 times
Reputation: 20208
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia9 View Post
I'm from WI and am thinking of relocating to Arkansas. I have found small town retailers to be friendly in WI but not necessarily the general populations. Many "cold Germans" in WI, and I'm from here!! I have many questions ... I want to move to a "smaller" town that I can get involved in, volunteering for local causes. I'd like a town that has some culture ... I LOVE folk music and want to learn about Arkansas history. I hate two things: mosquitoes and humidity. I know that I can't escape all of that but I have been given the impression locating in the "river valley" is worse than higher. Any suggestions for smaller towns that might minimalize (I realize not eliminate) mosquitoes and humidity? Last thing ... I have many health issues, so I need to live within 20 minutes of good medical facilities. Not necessarily emergency but a variety of doctors for my fibromyalgia and serious arthritis, and other issues. I will be working from home so, yes, I'll be hoping to buy a 2 to 3 bedroom home on my savings and Soc. Sec. Income. I don't need much but some GREAT windows for my cats to look out of and nature around me. OH, I forgot, I need to be very near a state park that has "easy" walking/hike trails because with my health issues, Arkansas is going to keep me healthy!!! I live in Milwaukee ... a little bit of hell for people who want to walk. I grew up on a dairy farm in Central WI and absolutely LOVE nature and Arkansas IS nature. WI also has a ton of humidity! I just read in a previous posting that the mosquitoes and humidity were worse in certain area. Give me a great park, with easy walking trails, medical nearby, a community who wants an avid volunteer who loves Arkansas music and culture, and minimal mosquitoes and humidity. I don't ask much, do I? It is just me ... a 57-year-old woman and two cats. Any insights are GREATLY, GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Wel...Arkansas can be hot and humid, no getting around that. And yes, the Arkansas River Valley can be a humidity magnet, and most of the larger communities in Arkansas are located there, with a few exceptions. Air conditioning is everywhere, however, and makes August bearable. Good medical facilities are also located in the larger communities, so you may have to make a few compromises in your wish list.

But - Arkansas welcomes intelligent volunteers, has some spectacular state parks with good trails of varying degrees of difficulty, and is noted for outstanding traditional music and culture.

In general, places with higher elevation are going to be cooler than those with low elevation. Ditto northern Arkansas over southern Arkansas. So look in these areas first, if heat and humidity are non-negotiables.

For traditional music and culture, check out the Arkansas Folk Center State Park in Mountain View. Beautiful little town, too, with gorgeous scenery all around, including spectacular Blanchard Springs Caverns in the adjacent national forest, which has incredible formations, huge rooms, and a trail that is all paved and has no steps, just slopes. Great area - but health care may be too far away.

Other outstanding state parks include Petit Jean (pro. "petty gene"), Queen Wilhelmina, Mount Nebo, and Mount Magazine. All are located on mountaintops, with trails, forests, rock formations, waterfalls, cabins, lodges, and more. All except Queen Wilhelmina are in or close to the Arkansas River Valley, but the heat and humidity is less atop the mountains, most of which have long histories as summer getaways. Of course there are additional beautiful state parks outside the mountains - you can even dig for diamonds in one of them!

Hot Springs might work well for you - parks, mountains, health center, and not too far from Little Rock.

There are folk festivals in many places in Arkansas and cultural events of various kinds all over the place. Best health care is likely to be in Little Rock, but if you only see a specialist a couple of times a year or so, you might be able to live elsewhere.

Good luck to you - Arkansas Tourism can send you many free materials which can give you an idea about where to look and what to expect. You might also do well to plan a vacation to Arkansas before committing to a move, too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top