U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 PM

78 posts, read 159,669 times

Advertisements

First, thank you everyone for all the advice I have received from here. You guys are the best! Ok, here's a question for those of you who moved cross country to AR. What moving company did you use? I am VERY wary of moving companies after having seen the trials of the damned that some of the people at the storage facility I work at have gone thru with some very not nice movers. (holding their belongings hostage for more money. stealing items ect.) Which one did you use? Would you use them again or not? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 PM

50 posts, read 101,760 times
Hi - I've had good luck with Bekins and Allied. United Vanlines was terrible - tried charging more money at the last minute, broke my furniture right in front of me, coordinator was clueless. My parents weren't thrilled with Mayflower, but that was years ago.

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
We have moved many times, across or 1/2 across the country and only have had a couple really bad experiences like when the van got stolen and we lost 43 years of marriage...

The best moves we have had I think were with Allied and United.. Lyons was not a positive experience nor was Mayflower. They were the ones that lost our belongings, but prior to that we had moved with them several times and had good luck. We have learned the best thing to do: get 3 estimates, take the middle one and make sure everything is in writing. The positive for us the last move, the estimate was over the actual cost. Oh another good one we have used: Atlas.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
You know, you might try one of the U-Haul places that doubles as a transport company. I know of one in LR that sends their movers by bus to the point of departure, gets the trucks, loads them, drives them. It is WAYYYY less expensive - I moved my dad from MS to AR two years ago and it was actually a great deal. I don't know that they do a full service move like packing boxes, etc. though. Not sure what you're looking for in that regard. I know this particular UHaul place has sent people to west Texas, Atlanta, and other places. I'd use them for anything.

One thing we found when the company spouse worked for relocated us for work and used a major mover (who did a full service move including the packing) was that they would not move mowers or any type gasoline powered machine including blowers, hand mowers, riding mowers, etc. We used that major mover but we had to move the mowers by pick up truck, and we moved all the very fragile or expensive stuff ourselves. The bill was still over $8K to move us 90 miles - and that was in 2000, so I can only imagine now what it would cost.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 PM

427 posts, read 981,204 times
We used Atlas on our retirement move from Omaha to Hot Springs Village in 2011. Not only were they the least expensive, they did a fantastic job. The coordinator in Omaha was great to work with, the driver and unloading crew at destination were great. They only broke one waterford pitcher and they paid the claim right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or