U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2013, 02:18 PM
 
11,288 posts, read 23,169,041 times
Reputation: 11174

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Illini_26 View Post
I'm a "traditional moderate Republican." Much in the spirit of the Republicans of the '50s, '60s and '70s, I tend to be socially moderate to liberal, support compromising in government to at least get SOMETHING done, but am pro-business and support lowering taxes. I definitely vote Republican no matter what because I'm so fiscally conservative, but I'm pro-choice and am very upset with the current GOP's stance on gay rights...

I was more just curious.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm a fiscal conservative and would gladly vote Republican on those fronts, but I absolutely will not vote for them in their current state because of their insane obsession with all these social issues - especially gay rights. I actually know a lot of gay people who would vote Republican and want to, but then are tripped up because of the Republicans irrational and bizarre complex with gay men and women. I can't understand why they care so much and why they're so hell bent on pushing down any gay rights without even opening up to any debate. Just accept it and be done with it - obviously in 20 years this will all be history and no one will care about gay people one way or the other (which is all they want).

We need a new party in this country that's fiscally conservative, but then stops trying to control everyone's lives socially. It's strange because I sometimes hear that the Republicans use to be this party that wanted small goverment and to stop government from getting into every aspect of one's life, but somehow they've developed into the opposite the past 20 years or so. We need a party that's the republicans of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2013, 05:30 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,972,407 times
Reputation: 1991
I could be totally wrong on this, but wasn't it the democrats that latched onto the whole gay rights thing to begin with? Prior to that, it wasn't much of a political issue. After they made it an issue, social conservatives that were in the democratic party jumped ship and joined the republicans that were socially conservative turning that party into the socially conservative party.
Because we are obsessing over social issues, we now have a situation in which the old fiscal liberals, many of whom were liberal in that sense because of their compassionate religion, now decide that abortion and homosexuality trump the supposed goodness of welfare.
Fiscal conservatives, who tended to be college-educated egg heads in the old days, can often be more socially liberal. So they go over to the democrats, giving socialists like Obama 2 terms in office. Go figure.
So basically, everyone is voting against their conscience on fiscal issues one way or the other because we're ALL worked up over social issues that government should largely stay out of.
Yes! Let's give up financial stability and run the country into the ground because we don't want to be identified with a small but loud group within the republican party. In the same vein, vegans should abandon the dems because I think the president eats meat. Makes perfect sense.
For what it's worth, from what I can tell most republicans would rather focus on issues of finance and security rather than social issues. But of course, there is that loud minority within the party.
I'm also of the belief that most republicans could care less about the color of one's skin, but since they don't obsess and think about it 24/7, liberals accuse them of being the racist ones. Laughable.
Of course, when one controls 98% of the media, those are the kind of deceptions one can get by with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 PM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Reputation: 7618
Folks, please stay on topic - Political Climate in Arkansas - this isn't the right forum for general discussions. All aboard for P & OC - please watch your step as you disembark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,972,407 times
Reputation: 1991
Sorry 'bout that.

I will say that in spite of Arkansas' stereotypes, there is far more diversity of opinion in politics there than people might think. Any degree of liberal would likely find plenty of like-minded people there to hang with. Just don't expect to win many elections.
Kind of like the whole Bible-Belt argument. I came across just as many atheists and agnostics there as I have anywhere else. It's just that the brand of religion is certainly different than what you might find in other places. It's also that style of religion that plays into the political scene at times. It's probably not any more political than the more liberal or mainstream denominations, but when you don't agree with it, it might seem more political.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Reputation: 46411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm a fiscal conservative and would gladly vote Republican on those fronts, but I absolutely will not vote for them in their current state because of their insane obsession with all these social issues - especially gay rights. I actually know a lot of gay people who would vote Republican and want to, but then are tripped up because of the Republicans irrational and bizarre complex with gay men and women. I can't understand why they care so much and why they're so hell bent on pushing down any gay rights without even opening up to any debate. Just accept it and be done with it - obviously in 20 years this will all be history and no one will care about gay people one way or the other (which is all they want).

We need a new party in this country that's fiscally conservative, but then stops trying to control everyone's lives socially. It's strange because I sometimes hear that the Republicans use to be this party that wanted small goverment and to stop government from getting into every aspect of one's life, but somehow they've developed into the opposite the past 20 years or so. We need a party that's the republicans of the past.
I would love to respond to your comments (which btw are based on your opinion, not fact) but I don't understand why you are posting general political comments on the AR board. It has little, if anything to do with conservative versus liberal attitudes in our state. The OP did not ask about general views on gays, religion or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 AM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere Arkansas
3,325 posts, read 2,818,546 times
Reputation: 1011
It isn't politics as much as it is culture. That's what people "don't get" about arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 AM
 
78 posts, read 159,669 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
It isn't politics as much as it is culture. That's what people "don't get" about arkansas.
Agreed. Can't hardly wait to experience it for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,482,523 times
Reputation: 4556
Arkansas is by and large a Republican state that is very socially conservative, but there is some diversity especially in the Little Rock area and also in NW Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Little Rock, AR
50 posts, read 99,097 times
Reputation: 38
Arkansas is a socially conservative state. Even Democrats here are more conservative than their national counterparts.

Little Rock and Eastern AR are traditional Democratic while the rest of the state, especially NWA are traditional Republican.

Until recently, AR votes more Democratic at the state level but always Republican at the national level.

I do not think that AR is a good fit for OP from Chicago, IL. Check out Iowa and maybe Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 05:23 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Reputation: 46411
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalARMO View Post
Arkansas is a socially conservative state. Even Democrats here are more conservative than their national counterparts.

Little Rock and Eastern AR are traditional Democratic while the rest of the state, especially NWA are traditional Republican.

Until recently, AR votes more Democratic at the state level but always Republican at the national level.

I do not think that AR is a good fit for OP from Chicago, IL. Check out Iowa and maybe Missouri.
Have to correct about 1 thing, you said until recently AR voted Dem at state level but Republican at the national level; this is 100% wrong: until 2010 both state and national level was Democrat. The tide changed with Lincoln lost (but it only changed slightly) In 2012 is when the state went Republican nationally for the first time since the civil war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top