Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 05:52 PM

8 posts, read 39,724 times

Advertisements

Arkansas Political weather report.... 60% chance of reigning tea, accompanied by hot winds and large hell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 11:21 PM

174 posts, read 500,651 times
My grandparents were from AR and socially conservative Democrats. Socially they were conservative by even Republican standards, but they remembered the Depression and voted Democrat because of Roosevelt and the New Deal, so they agreed with the Democrats' economic stances. The Depression hit AR harder than most states, and they moved North right around WWII. But as socially conservative as they were they worried that every Republican president would be the "next Hoover."

I think a lot of the younger generation there is still socially conservative, but have gone in the GOP direction. Even if Arkansas is poorer than average by national standards, the poverty is relative, not absolute now. In my travels there for family reunions I really don't notice it being poorer than here in MI, considering the cost of living is lower. In my grandparent's day some parts of AR were in third world poverty during the 1930s, so in those conditions people looked for government as a helping hand. But now times are better so I think people tend to vote their values when they are doing better. It explains why a lot of wealthy Northeastern states like NH, NJ, and DE vote Democratic, because they are socially liberal even if the Democrats' economic policies are not tailored to their class.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 PM

389 posts, read 1,214,762 times
I'm speculating here but I am old enough to remember the pre-civil rights era. I can recall driving down through the south into Florida where I was delivering a personal vehicle for an older lady who had moved to Fort Lauderdale to retire. I never really had a reason to go into Arkansas much although I lived in Missouri most of my life. But I can tell you that when I traveled in the south, as a "northern Yankee" I didn't want to wind up in some southern jail having to deal with a redneck sheriff such portrayed "In the heat of the night." That was my view of the south. Oddly enough in those days virtually all of the south was Democratic and it is interesting to look at the electoral maps from the earlier elections. The nation has completely flip-flopped since then.

I'll tell a little story here to put this into perspective. My first job was that of a dish washer in a local restaurant outside of St. Louis, Missouri. I was 15 years old and can remember when the owner came crashing through the kitchen to get his shotgun to chase a black soldier out of the bar area who was on his way to Fort Leonard Wood where he was a soldier there. I was appalled but had no power or inclination to get involved. But I will never forget it. I suspect many of the northern states and citizens probably believed anyone south of the "Mason-Dixon" line were closet racists wearing the white KKK uniform. I suppose there were some but it was all an image formed during those days 50-60 years ago. Times have changed substantially. The U.S. is not the U.S. of the 1950s and Ozzie and Harriet. In many ways things have gone downhill but in many other ways great improvement in our lives have taken place.

As to the question at hand, regarding the political climate in Arkansas, I am a relative newcomer having moved here from Texas two years ago where I had intended to retire but it burned down in 2011. I have seen little to no overt political racism and we have black members in the church I attend. Even our convention president is black. But this extends beyond racism. In general I believe most people in the south are simply more conservative in religious beliefs and the sanctity of the vote. I'm distressed that the citizens are seemingly disenfranchised in that clearly ineligible voters are voting that offset my vote. I happen to believe the vote should be determined by those who are citizens and rightfully should be for those who pay the taxes which to anyone's fair reading of the news is being squandered by lavish politicians and their cronies. If I go into a store to buy alcohol I have to produce my ID although clearly I am over 21. Yet, it is too much for person to have to produce a voter ID card? Really? Hardly a day goes by that we don't have to endure yet one more scandal of mammoth proportions and nothing ever seems to change. I simply do not believe this sort of thing was acceptable in the earlier part of the 20th Century. There were certain values that seem to have gone by the boards.

So is Arkansas conservative? Sure. But are we a bunch of racists, bigoted toward others? I don't believe so. I just don't see it. And I really didn't see it in Texas either.

To my way of thinking, whether one chooses to live here or elsewhere in the south one has to want to live here for the slower pace of living, the relative moderate climate and friendly people. I've lived here for two years now and can't recall having to deal with a rude or inconsiderate person. We don't discuss our political beliefs for the most part although most have them. If a person can't fit in here, I suspect they really aren't trying. That's my long winded response to this question.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 775 times
Default Looking to relocate:

Thanks for igniting this topic. It's the final piece of info I was looking for before considering the move..

Old 01-01-2016, 06:24 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN plowboy View Post
Thanks for igniting this topic. It's the final piece of info I was looking for before considering the move..
do you realize the post is old, no one has responded for 3 years now. As for the overall political climate, right now, both local and national; AR is pretty much red. The Delta area is still a mix. I will add, much of the racial tensions no longer exist and the state is pretty diverse culturally. Though our elected rep are almost 100% Republicans this could change. When we moved here, just 8 years ago the opposite was true. ehllicans bumjRra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas