U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 PM

16,254 posts, read 28,026,519 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about any historic homes or older homes that may have been moved possibly to or near a race track? My great grand mothers home was supposedly moved near the property of a racetrack. It did not have running water, electricity, so also no bathroom or kitchen. A rumor that we heard from my aunt was that they used the home as a sort of historic time capsule of sorts, showing how people used to live. I visited that home back in the early 70's, when my great grand mother was still living in it. My grand parents retired from Chicago back to where my grandfather grew up, in Hot Springs.

My great grand parents lived on a site that included their home and a grocery store, or what we could call here a corner store. They also grew all their own food, made their own clothes, soap, or anything else that they needed to have, and this was in the 1970's.

What I am wondering is if the rumors are true and the house is still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,519,092 times
I am pretty knowledgeable of Hot Springs and none of that sounded familiar to me, so I talked to a friend who has lived in H.S. all her life (about 75 years) and has several family members living in the vicinity of the track. She said she had never heard of it. She also said on three sides of the track were older well established homes (some of them high dollar) and on the back side of the track were "poorer" homes and couldn't imagine someone moving a house into that area. I can't imagine a home with an "outhouse" being permitted in that neighborhood.

She mentioned Essex Park, the original race track, that was way out in the country southeast of town; but it closed when Oaklawn was built in the early 1900s (I think)

Hopefully someone else will jump in here.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,874,255 times
Try contacting the Hot Springs Library. The County Encyclopedia was rather common item around the turn of the 20th century. The State Historical Society and/or the State Library holds a ton of old state history. You will need to provide the names of the persons who owned the house.

On the face of what you provided. it's sounds much like a one room cabin - which was not uncommon at the time - and a family legend. I hope you find what you are looking for. Good Luck.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 AM

This was a home that had a living room and at least one bedroom. My great grand mother didn't paint it on the inside or outside. Her sons, one of them being my grandfather, built her a bath house in the back. She didn't think it was sanitary to have a bathroom inside the house.

I would have thought it would have been torn down years ago but my aunt is telling us that the home was moved for some reason. Sounds like a family legend to me as well.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:46 PM

Re-reading your original post; to me, 1970s is too late in time for those living conditions. Did you mean 1870? Also, my H.S. contact asked if you will give a name and date of the supposed activity and she will see what she can dig up. If you choose to not post them on this public forum you may send me a DM. You now have us both curious about it.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:59 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Slim, my great grandmother lived in a house with an outside well pump and outhouse until 1973 (I think that's the right year), when she moved in with my grandparents to Little Rock. She died a few years later at 103 years old...but she raised her family in that house in Oppelo and lived there until she just couldn't anymore. I believe she was 99 when she moved in with my grandparents in Little Rock and lived there a while until she got homesick and went to a nursing home in Morrilton. I guess old habits die hard, but she said she raised her children in that house and it was just fine with her. FWIW, she also slept on a rope bed and had a mattress that I believe may have been stuffed with horsehair. Her name says it all - Julina Artillery Wood. Don't that just beat all? And yes, true story -

Julina Artillery "Liny" Wilcox Wood (1872 - 1976) - Find A Grave Memorial

"She was a housewife and a baptist". Gotta love that!

Boy, did I go off topic...sorry for derailing, maybe I will infract myself :-) Nothing about HS at all - but I am so fascinated by the whole thing, and by living so long and seeing so many changes in the world in a lifetime.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:47 PM

I like your story Sam. That was not unusual for people on farms and rural communities, even later, but 1970 was too late for that in the H.S. race track neighborhood.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:39 PM

I visited the home in 1973 and it was just as I said it was. I wasn't even 10 back then and thought it was kind of strange to have a home without a bathroom or a kitchen. If you wanted chicken for dinner it was roaming around the lot earlier in the day. My grandfather hated chicken because he had so much of it growing up. What I am saying is a day at the grocer for my great grandmother was not any differant than walking outside. Then again they were the grocer as well, or at least had a little store there. As far as I know she lived there untill the early 80's.

As far as the house being on the race track grounds, it was our understanding that it was moved there from somewhere else in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas