Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,082 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all. I'm headin' for Horseshoe Bend to close on a house next week. As of now, my Father plans to go with me. That's subject to change as he is 84 years old and pretty much does his decision making at the last minute to avoid conflicts of health and social obligations.

He loves to fish, so I was thinking we might try to hook a few while there. We wont have a boat, but we will have our own tackle. Any suggestions? Are there places in the area where one can rent a boat?

He likes to crappie fish mostly, but he also gets a kick out of catching bluegill & catfish. He'd probably enjoy bank fishing for a little while.

What's an out of state license cost?

Brother Terry, going after a big black bass.

Brother David, showin' off the one that Terry missed.

Pictures taken on Lake Fork in E. Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 08:10 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Spring River is not very far from Horseshoe Bend, there is public access in Hardy, AR, and several boat, canoe rentals.

Spring River, Arkansas

http://www.manyislands.com/

Spring River: Lakes & Rivers: Arkansas Parks & Tourism

also Crown Lake is near Horseshoe Bend,

//www.city-data.com/forum/arkan...mond-lake.html

fishing license..
Fishing license – weekly fishing report – world re

Old 07-01-2008, 08:30 AM

24 posts, read 98,807 times
Default Glad you can join the HSB crew!

Glad you can join the HSB crew! Well, there isnt much of a crew, but there are a few of us HSB fans around.
Not sure about a non-res fishing license cost these days, but it probably isnt much. i know you could get a three day license for minimal cost, i did that when trout fishing on the little Red river a few years ago. If you know someone with a private pond, no license needed!!

For some nice quiet bank fishing, try North Lake in HSB. Its a small lake on the north end of town. There were some pretty nice bass sizing me up as i walked the bank just a month ago. Also Crown Lake has a very nice fishing pier in the park to give a try.....

Good luck!!...you must post pics of your catches though.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks guys,

I'll check it out and see what I can do about taking pictures. Gotta catch 'em first!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Here's a link to the fee schedule:

Licenses-Fishing The Arkansas Ozarks-Game & Fish Commission Information

North Lake, as Horseshoe advised, is good, and Diamond is not bad for Crappie. Some good catfish.

If you go South on 289, you'll find places at the bridge to pull off and fish the Strawberry River. I usually go to the Strawberry for my catfish and snapping turtles.

The Spring has already been mentioned, if you like trout, get the stamp and go to the White.

There's *lots* of good fishing around here. If you arrive at a dilemma with what to do with the left-over non-edible parts....my garden's always open.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:45 AM

Thanks Roger, I can hardly wait! I'm chompin' at the bit.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:25 AM

Well, he just called and backed out of the trip. I thought it might be a little much for him. He lives in the country near Pikeville, KY. The prospect of riding from there to Horseshoe Bend, AR and back, must have been worrying him. He has been having some trouble with lower back pain.

Guess I'll have to try those spots you guys recommended by myself. I wouldn't want to disappoint the fish.

I'm still going down to Pikeville first, then traveling to HB. I should be getting there Sunday or Monday. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll make use of every one of them eventually.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:52 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
You should hit it right, we've got rain forecasted T/F/S.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,972 times
The Spring has already been mentioned, if you like trout, get the stamp and go to the White.i walked the bank just a month ago. Also Crown Lake has a very nice fishing pier in the park to give a try.....Guess I'll have to try those spots you guys recommended by myself. I wouldn't want to disappoint the fish.
================================================== ====
johnvicter001

[mod] edit [/mod]

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-02-2008 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: no signature blocks or advertising on City Data

Old 07-02-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
You should hit it right, we've got rain forecasted T/F/S.
Yeah, I saw that. Looks like I'll be driving through the most of it from the time I peel outta here.

Are them rivers still full?

I hope the bridges don't go out before I get there. I don't care about after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas