U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,196 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am going to be getting out of the Army in a couple months and my wife and I are searching for a place to live and settle down, I stumbled upon Mountain Home in a field and stream magazine and we have been thinking about it for a while now but just want to see others insight. We are in our mid-twenties with an infant son, I know it is a retirement community but I'm sure we wouldn't mind it, we don't party or anything like that. We are both from a smaller town in Northern California and for the last 3 years been in Alaska we like it here but can't handle the winter which is a huge factor here. We have no desire to move back to California partially because of political beliefs, we are both conservatives. Moving on, something's we do need is good schools for my son and good health care because I recently found out I have a heart condition that requires regular follow ups.

I'm going to list why I think it is the place for us,
Smallish town
Big lakes and nice rivers (I am an avid fisher and there happens to be trophy fish of my 3 favorite fish in that area)
We love being outdoors hiking,kayaking,biking,fishing,etc.
We like a quiet neighborhood if we have neighbors
Good schools
Town events
Low crime

Cons:
From other posts it sounds like there is a lot of people from So Cal and Chicago(kind of joking)
Lots of tourists(not really a con but..)
No shopping for the wife (In laws live in west tennessee we can shop when we visit)
No 4 year school close by
Jobs( wife is a pre-k manager finishing teaching degree this year I would like to get in to emt/paramedic)

I know this thread may seem redundant but I want to hear new answers specific to our situation so any advice would be appreciated. Anythings I may have left out just bring them up.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,887 times
Mountain Home is a really nice town in a beautiful part of the state. Everyone is really nice here.We moved here 6 years ago from New Jersey. There are many places to hike, bike, and fish. Get the book 'Arkansas Nature Lovers Guidebook' by Tim Ernst. There are two large lakes in the area: Lake Norfork which is about 45 miles long and Bull Shoals Lake which is about 90 long. We have Baxter Regional Hospital which is a 268 all-private bed facility with more than 100 physicians on staff. The hospital is 500,000 sf of space and is the largest employer in the county with over 1,400 employees and over 600 volunteers.

Salaries are lower compared to other places but the cost of living is much lower so it sort of evens out. We went from over $14,000 in property tax to about $1,900 for real estate and personal property tax. Most people here don't even pay that much for their taxes.

Winters are fairly mild usually with not much snow but the summers can get hot (over 100) sometimes. The major stores here are Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes. For major shopping, you could go to Branson, Missouri (home of over 50 theaters and 100 shows) that is about 1.5 hours away. Springfield Missouri is a larger town 2 hours away, and Little Rock, AR is about 3.75 hours away. There are no Interstates in the area, the closest being in Springfield but traffic is light on our highways and always a pleasant drive. Good luck to you if you decide to move here.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 AM

78 posts, read 159,669 times
My husband and I will be moving there shortly from...(SoCal). Wanted to whisper that bit. But have no fear, we're nice people. We're not the kind of SoCal's that come looking to remake the place in the image of LA. Now way! We like the are just fine as is.

For EMT/Paramedic the locals seem to rely most on the helicopter ambulance to ferry them up to MO. You may be able to get work with the companies that run those outfits.

For the missus, I should think that it would be no prob getting work in her field. From what they tell me, the non-retirement segment of the area is growing. That means more families and likely the need for more in her field.

A branch of Arkansas State U is in Mountain Home so there's some 4 year for you.

You may want to start following along with the online version of the local paper, "The Baxter Bulletin". This will give you the low down to an extent. Please keep in mind, that some of the people who write in and respond to the polls are not necessarily citizens of the area. You may also want to check out surrounding places such as Lakeview, Bull Shoals and the like. Good luck to you!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,741,662 times
I looked at MH several years ago. For me it was too far away from anything. It has not good roads to get anywhere fast, I.E express ways, Its a nice little town and very beautiful and great fishing and hunting but other than that not much else. I picked Hot Springs because it has all the above but close to LR and good highways, hospitals, and has a ton of festivals and things to do all year long in and around HS. We sold out and moved to KS and it was the big mistake of my moving history. I bought in my same old sub and will build and move back from SWF when the market is doing better. If you are the type that loves being secluded then it may be for you, but also if your not from MH its more of a "you aint from her are you" place.

Not saying its a bad place at all, but its more of a good old boy area then HS where there are a lot of move ins and you don't feel like an outsider. I do not recomend Ed Gilbert Realty. They were very poor when I used them, and one of the agents who has been there since the early 90s has a very bad attitude. They made us feel like we were wasting their time looking if we did not put in an offer on the first thing they threw at us. Rudy was OK but he is gone and his friend was the one who was very poor at realestate. At least he had a very poor attitude, he was more interested in hitting on the other realtors we had to get keys from then showing property. LOL I think he thought he was a stud. LOL if you saw him you would know what I mean.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 8,911 times
Did you decide on Mountain Home? My family is hoping to move to the area sometime in the next year. My mother relocated there this past summer. We are excited to get over there as soon as possible, we fell in LOVE with the area while visiting.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,558 times
Hey Kitten- thought you posted on another thread you had moved-apparently not yet. Let us know when you get there. I have a thousand questions and you being a new-bee would probably be able to answer all my questions!!!

Old 07-22-2016, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,652 times
My family has been thinking about moving to Mountain home. However we are an interracial couple with a 2 year old son and have heard bad things about the state as a whole. Google can be misleading sometimes so I thought I would just ask people from Arkansas. Is it a good place for a black and white couple to move?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:17 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndseypresley View Post
My family has been thinking about moving to Mountain home. However we are an interracial couple with a 2 year old son and have heard bad things about the state as a whole. Google can be misleading sometimes so I thought I would just ask people from Arkansas. Is it a good place for a black and white couple to move?
take stats, google info, snopes, etc. with a grain of salt. You can bet basic information but don't put to much into what you read. It is like reviews: people are quick to complain and post their unhappiness but they are not nearly as quick to praise or tell a happy story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or