U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 03:04 PM

53 posts, read 121,852 times
I guess you're right. My only concern is that the Fayetteville-like area will expand to include Clarksville, but I suppose that's an unreasonable thought.

Interestingly, Johnson County does border NWA. But Clarksville isn't that close to Fayetteville.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:18 PM

76 posts, read 88,525 times
Florida is three parts New York, three parts Ohio, and one part Georgia.

I would consider Florida a Yankee state.

Arkansas is Southern but is more similar to Kansas than South Carolina.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:53 PM

75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongchampsnoir View Post
Florida is three parts New York, three parts Ohio, and one part Georgia.

I would consider Florida a Yankee state.

Arkansas is Southern but is more similar to Kansas than South Carolina.
very close to right, especially NWA. but it is still southern in many ways.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,523,265 times
I guess , bottom line is your perception of what is south/southern . Your perception appears to be already set and nothing we write probably will change that . So, come on down and enjoy The Natural State because I think you will be O.K. .

Old 06-15-2013, 09:18 PM

8,058 posts, read 10,648,224 times
As one who has spent the majority of his adult life in either the Atlanta metro area or the DFW area, I would say from my visits to the NW section of the state (the daughter just finished her second year as a Razorback) I find that section MUCH more southern than most of Dallas and Atlanta combined. The Fayetteville area reminded me very much of the southern Appalachians.... cities like Chattanooga or Knoxville, TN come to mind... not only in the hilly topography but in the people I met.

I worry much more that my home state of Georgia will lose its southerness far sooner than any portion of AR, even the NW quadrant.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:57 PM

620 posts, read 1,002,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
As one who has spent the majority of his adult life in either the Atlanta metro area or the DFW area, I would say from my visits to the NW section of the state (the daughter just finished her second year as a Razorback) I find that section MUCH more southern than most of Dallas and Atlanta combined. The Fayetteville area reminded me very much of the southern Appalachians.... cities like Chattanooga or Knoxville, TN come to mind... not only in the hilly topography but in the people I met.

I worry much more that my home state of Georgia will lose its southerness far sooner than any portion of AR, even the NW quadrant.
Exactly. Just because northerners have moved into the NWA metro, it is still southern. Most of the kids that go to UofA are from around the state of Arkansas. I live in Branson and talk to people from Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers on a daily basis. MOST of them have southern accents.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:10 AM

75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Exactly. Just because northerners have moved into the NWA metro, it is still southern. Most of the kids that go to UofA are from around the state of Arkansas. I live in Branson and talk to people from Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers on a daily basis. MOST of them have southern accents.
Here we go again: of course most of the kids that go to U of A are from around AR. Most the kids that go to Cal or USC are from states around Calif as well, but when our granddaughter was a Razorback her friends and sorority sisters were from: AR, Ca, Mo, Colorado, OK and Texas. In fact she was from Texas and might have been the only one of her friends I knew that had much of an accent. Her's isn't really heavy, but it is still a southern accent to some degree.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:39 AM

I don't see Arkansas as at all similar to Kansas. If Arkansas can be compared to any part of the Midwest, I'd compare it to Missouri. And I am surprised that anyone would worry about Georgia not being southern... Georgia is a core Dixie state. My question is, is Arkansas also a core Southern state?

I also believe that you don't have to have a Southern accent to be a Southerner. In Minnesota, some people have a far northern accent and others don't. But, accent or not, we're all Minnesotan up here.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:02 AM

Is there any chance of NWA expanding to include Johnson County and consequently Clarksville?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:04 AM

Is Clarksville a Southern city, would you say?

By the way, isn't Fay closer to Clarksville than Little Rock judging by distance only?

I'm sorry that I'm asking so many questions. I have OCD and right now the topic I'm fixated on is whether or not Arkansas and specifically Clarksville is considered southern. It's causing me anxiety.

Last edited by JohnnyMN; 06-16-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas