Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMN View Post
Thanks for the answers. I got what I was looking for so I won't bring this up again.
Oops, didn't see this one before posting the last one. You will enjoy AR I am sure. All the best in your new southern adventure.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:39 PM

53 posts, read 143,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Oops, didn't see this one before posting the last one. You will enjoy AR I am sure. All the best in your new southern adventure.

This isn't a closed thread. All I'm saying is that I have heard what everyone has said about me bringing things up over and over so I have decided not to bring it up anymore in new threads.

BTW, thanks

Old 06-27-2013, 04:44 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
This isn't a closed thread. All I'm saying is that I have heard what everyone has said about me bringing things up over and over so I have decided not to bring it up anymore in new threads.

BTW, thanks
I dunno kid, as far as I'm concerned we really aren't a southern state anymore. At the rate we're going I think we'll just be another california county.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I dunno kid, as far as I'm concerned we really aren't a southern state anymore. At the rate we're going I think we'll just be another california county.
oh I really don't think so: I was raised in CA. it is nothing like here...

One more thing I just though about: the OP says, is AR about to lose it's status: what does status mean? It is something special to be a southern state, a NE state, a Midwest state? That is what status means....

Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
From most of the posts I have seen here, it has been made clear to me that Arkansas is as southern as Pecan pie. I am from the Midwest and it is nothing like Arkansas.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
From most of the posts I have seen here, it has been made clear to me that Arkansas is as southern as Pecan pie. I am from the Midwest and it is nothing like Arkansas.
hey, have you moved here yet? It seems to me, you have only visited a few times and will be coming to our state for school next month. When you get here and get settled let us know how you feel. Well, you probably won't have to cause I think we all know your mind is made up. Like many states, AR has regions, the Delta for instance, is nothing like NWA, which has been explained here over and over. Certainly no one would ever put Minn and AR is the same category. One is very upper Midwest, the other is a border state and yes, more southern than Midwestern, but the northern border of the state is not like the rest of AR. If I remember right, not long ago you thought parts of AR were NWA but they really aren't.

Actually I don't think there will ever be a 100% agreement on this and it might be a bit silly to continue to debate the subject. Asking if it will lose its status is one thing, arguing about whether it is southern or not when one hasn't lived here is pointless.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 AM

No offense, but how can Arkansas be a border state if it was a part of the confederacy? A border state is a state that didn't secede but allowed slavery, like Missouri, the southern part of which is in the South IMO.

I think most people think of the south as the states that seceded during the Civil War. Arkansas is one of those states.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Quote:
No offense, but how can Arkansas be a border state if it was a part of the confederacy? A border state is a state that didn't secede but allowed slavery, like Missouri, the southern part of which is in the South IMO.

I think most people think of the south as the states that seceded during the Civil War. Arkansas is one of those states.
Missouri is border. It was divided among itself during the Civil War, but not even the way you'd think: north to south. It was more complicated than that. Today, the southern section is indeed the most southern part of the state culturally, but not quite as southern as Arkansas.
The only parts of Arkansas that can make the argument for not being southern culturally are a few towns in NWA, Hot Springs Village, areas in and around Little Rock, other retirement communities,etc. but that's about it. Even many of those have an inevitable southern flavor.
Arkansas is not border. It's surrounded by southern MO, eastern OK and Texas, which are all southern in culture.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Missouri is border. It was divided among itself during the Civil War, but not even the way you'd think: north to south. It was more complicated than that. Today, the southern section is indeed the most southern part of the state culturally, but not quite as southern as Arkansas.
The only parts of Arkansas that can make the argument for not being southern culturally are a few towns in NWA, Hot Springs Village, areas in and around Little Rock, other retirement communities,etc. but that's about it. Even many of those have an inevitable southern flavor.
Arkansas is not border. It's surrounded by southern MO, eastern OK and Texas, which are all southern in culture.
Agreed 100%.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:03 PM

78 posts, read 189,644 times
I for one pray that AR never ever loses its heritage as a Southern state! I am coming over a thousand miles just to move to CA with sweet tea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas