Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:17 AM

10 posts, read 17,349 times

Advertisements

Arkansas absolutely does not have a Midwestern culture. Throughout the state you will find a variety of cultures that have developed over the last 200 years and are unique in many ways to the state of Arkansas. Just because people in Clarksville don't speak with the type of southern accent you were expecting, doesn't mean that they are losing their southernness. You find a southern dialect that is common throughout much of the Ozarks, and shares some similarities with accents you would hear in southern Appalachia. If you go to central or eastern Arkansas you are going to hear completely different accents that probably resemble the ones you expected to hear when you came down here. In Southern Arkansas, you might hear accents that sound more like Louisiana accents, not Cajun though. Asking if the state is losing it's southern status because people in Clarksville don't talk like southern stereotypes is like asking if Illinois is becoming less Midwestern because people in Springfield don't walk around saying "Daaa Bears" in a nasally accent like a damn Super Fan from SNL. Honestly, the idea of a single southern accent or culture that covers the whole of the south is plain ignorant and a little insulting. Each state, and each region in those states, developed largely independent of one another due to how difficult it used to be to travel from place to place in much of the south. That isolation resulted in many many distinct cultures and dialects that change from region to region as you travel through the south. People who are from this part of the country tend to be proud of their unique heritage, and aren't going to be very appreciative of a college kid from Minnesota questioning how Southern they are just because they don't sound like Boss Hogg when they speak. If you like "the South" like you say you do, then maybe consider learning about the vast array of cultures that is has to offer that make it such an interesting region, instead of questioning a states identity as part of the South. I'd suggest asking Dr. Oatis a little bit about Arkansas' southern cultures. I had him for many a history class while I was at U of O and he could give you some excellent insight on the subject.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:58 PM

620 posts, read 1,231,876 times
Arkansas isn't a border state it's 100% southern. I live 10 minutes north of the border in Missouri and people here all consider ourselves to be southern...so how Arkansas could be considered anything other than southern is beyond me!!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:29 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,127,937 times
Arkansas is Southern. Its not wholly "Deep South" like Mississippi. It can feel a little bit "western" at times, which in my view, is a good thing. Arkansas doesn't feel as "burdened" for lack of a better word, by the old deep south divisions. There's a bit of western pioneer spirit in its heritage that cuts the old southern vibe, and I think its a unique mix. Kind of like Texas.

Even just traveling across Arkansas, which isn't that big of a state, there are different micro-cultures.

It has cowboys in the west, Delta plantations in the east, pine forests in the south, and oak/maple forests in the north.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:09 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMN View Post
But Florida has a large influx of people from outside of Florida and now it's not considered Southern.

Is the situation with Arkansas different?
We in Florida are not "Southerners"! What ever made you think that? You in Arkansas are "hillbilly" enough" to be "Southern"!

Do not ever insult us by calling us "Southerners"!

The only thing "southern" about us is our Geographic location!

Old 02-04-2014, 04:05 AM

320 posts, read 578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
We in Florida are not "Southerners"! What ever made you think that? You in Arkansas are "hillbilly" enough" to be "Southern"!

Do not ever insult us by calling us "Southerners"!

The only thing "southern" about us is our Geographic location!
Um...the black folk in central and southern Arkansas are not hillbillies.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:02 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
Folks, this topic has been discussed nine ways from Sunday in other threads....I'm closing this one. For those wishing to comment, please see these other threads:

//www.city-data.com/forum/arkan...-question.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/fayet...-southern.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/arkan...ern-state.html

And on and on and on.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas