U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:48 AM

53 posts, read 121,766 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Clarksville to attend college at the University of the Ozarks (not to be confused with the College of the Ozarks in Branson, MO).

I am a little bit anxious as my mind tends to classify things. I want to live in the South because I like the South. I'm from Minnesota and I want to try living outside of the Midwest for a while. But I am worried that Arkansas will soon be reclassified as a Midwestern state. Is this fear realistic?

I get the sense that people from Arkansas (at least the Northwest parts of Arkansas) are losing their accents and that this will lead to Arkansas or that part of Arkansas being classified as Midwestern.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 AM

41,397 posts, read 25,653,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMN View Post
I am moving to Clarksville to attend college at the University of the Ozarks (not to be confused with the College of the Ozarks in Branson, MO).

I am a little bit anxious as my mind tends to classify things. I want to live in the South because I like the South. I'm from Minnesota and I want to try living outside of the Midwest for a while. But I am worried that Arkansas will soon be reclassified as a Midwestern state. Is this fear realistic?

I get the sense that people from Arkansas (at least the Northwest parts of Arkansas) are losing their accents and that this will lead to Arkansas or that part of Arkansas being classified as Midwestern.
Just because the Northwest metro area of Arkansas has had a large influx of people from outside Arkansas does not mean that the state is in any danger of being classified as Midwestern. And Clarksville is far outside of the Northwest metro area.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 PM

But Florida has a large influx of people from outside of Florida and now it's not considered Southern.

Is the situation with Arkansas different?

Old 06-14-2013, 12:11 PM

41,397 posts, read 25,653,808 times
Quote:
But Florida has a large influx of people from outside of Florida and now it's not considered Southern.

You posted back in March how Arkansas definitely wasn't Midwestern. Your claim to knowledge was flying into Fayetteville once (and I think you actually flew into XNA, not Fayetteville), and a few visits to Clarksville. When it was politely explained to you that Northwest Arkansas is a specific demographic area, and that Clarksville is not part of that demographic area, but rather falls into the River Valley region, you argued about that. If you live in Clarksville, and you're going to the nearest city, you'll be heading to Little Rock. If Clarksville were in Northwest Arkansas, and you wanted to visit the nearest city, you'd be heading to Fayetteville.

And yes, Arkansas is very different from Florida.

And the patterns of people moving to the two states are very different.

And the economies of the two are very different.

Arkansas is a southern state. It is not in the Deep South, though if you visit the Delta area, you might think so. It is not in the Midwest, though if you visit Northwest Arkansas, you might think so. It is not in the West, though Ft Smith certainly has hallmarks of the West. Arkansas is a Southern state that borders the West, the Midwest, and the Deep South. So the Southern culture of Arkansas embraces a broad range. Which is one of the attractions of Arkansas.

If you are seeking a Deep South cultural experience, you might want to consider going to college in a Deep South state.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,482,523 times
Arkansas, with the exception of the northwestern part of the state is about as Southern as you can get and relatively undiluted. From the Little Rock area eastward, you have the Delta culture reminiscient of Memphis and Mississippi. Western Arkansas reminds me a lot of Tennessee. Even NW Arkansas is still Southern at heart, it just has been a bit diluted by the Californians moving in.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 PM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:

Florida is considered south, both my daughter and our son live in Florida, they would not consider it anything else. What region do you think it is in, if not the south, but it is still very different from Arkansas. NWA isn't deep south, but it is south.. even though it borders on the mid west. Clarksville isn't anywhere near NWA. As for the influx of people in the two states: first of all, many of those re-locating to Florida are retirees from the east coast.. There are certainly people moving to NWA that are retirees, but there are also a lot moving here because of the major, national companies located here. Many of the people we know, living in NWA are from the upper mid west, and the corn belt. Very few are from the east.

I think the best thing for you is, just wait until you actually move to Clarksville and decide for yourself if we are southern, Midwestern or just plain Arkansas. How does that sound and what are you hoping for, true south, midwast or what?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,972,407 times
Any way you want to slice it, Arkansas will never be confused with the upper Midwest.
The vast majority of people in Arkansas are southern. Even becoming like Florida hardly seems possible.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:06 AM

I'm sorry if it seems like I am arguing with you. I'm not trying to do that.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:35 AM

2,002 posts, read 2,867,740 times
“A Yankee can become an honorary Southerner, but a Southerner cannot become a Yankee, assuming any Southerner would want to.”
[RIGHT]—How to Speak Southern, Bantam Books[/RIGHT]

Old 06-15-2013, 12:26 PM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if it seems like I am arguing with you. I'm not trying to do that.
ok, then lets just say, like some of us did before, you will have to judge for yourself when you start school in a few months. Most of us feel AR is southern with or without accents. I don't think of Texas as being all that southern even though geographically it is. Yet, I know people from Texas with accents a heck of a lot heavier than some people raised here. WV is not a southern state, but a lot of people from there have accents. It is just impossible to judge a state by the accents or lack of same. Now, most of us, who have lived here for anytime think of NWA as being southern and still blending with part of the mid west (not the northern part by any means)the remainder of our state is certainly southern with no indication it will become anything else in the next 100 years. So, just enjoy your days in college, they will pass too fast and enjoy the experience of living in AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas