Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMN View Post
I am moving to Arkansas and I have decided that I can deal with homophobia. But I would just like to know what to expect so I'm not shocked when I get down there.
If you go down there with a chip on your shoulder, expecting to receive homophobia, you're going to end up reading into stuff that is not homophobia and cause problems for yourself. Do you understand the concept called confirmation bias?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
I can't speak for Clarksville, but I will say that Arkansas is not nearly as homophobic as people make it out to be. I lived there for 21 years. [I'm 23 for context] I was out since I was 14. I wasn't out in every single setting, but I'd categorize myself as out.

Most people won't care about it, especially those under age say, 30.

My best advice is to not worry too much about if. Of course it may be smart to keep it quiet at work until you get a feel for the climate. I would say this to anyone, no matter where they worked. Unfortunately workplace discrimination against LGBT people is common and legal in many places.

Best of luck, OP.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:23 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Folks - I've been out due to surgery - and I came back to this whatever-it-is that went so badly off topic.

Please stick to the original topic...please. If it goes off topic, please report and a moderator will deal with it sooner or later. You can also send me a DM, but sometimes I'm just not online for several hours at a time. It's just easier for me to know about a problem if you hit the red triangle at the top of the offending post. And please don't follow the off topic posts with one of your own, it just perpetuates the madness.

May I remind everyone - if you want to debate lifestyles, politics, religion, etc., please take it to another forum. This is a state forum for information, not the breeding ground for discontent.

Thank you.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:19 PM

76 posts, read 106,195 times
Is being obese, black, good looking, crippled, white, a Mormon, a Jew an issue for people in Arkansas or any place else on the planet?

The planet is occupied by individuals.

Just go to Arkansas and find out if being gay is an issue.

I'm white and enjoy pretty much meat and potatoes and some people won't like that. I don't care!!!

Old 06-22-2013, 01:08 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongchampsnoir View Post
Is being obese, black, good looking, crippled, white, a Mormon, a Jew an issue for people in Arkansas or any place else on the planet?

The planet is occupied by individuals.

Just go to Arkansas and find out if being gay is an issue.

I'm white and enjoy pretty much meat and potatoes and some people won't like that. I don't care!!!
I think I get what your saying about about everybody’s experiences are different but do you really not see a difference between being white and liking potoatoes in Arkansas and being gay in Arkansas?
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-23-2013 at 02:56 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
Okay, Let me see if I can make a post that will not offend the mods or anyone else.

The original poster needs to move to Arkansas and go on with his life and lifestyle without worrying about it. I do not agree with the 'gay' lifestyle but to be honest, it's none of my business anyway. I'm a lifelong biker and not everyone likes that lifestyle either.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Okay, Let me see if I can make a post that will not offend the mods or anyone else.

The original poster needs to move to Arkansas and go on with his life and lifestyle without worrying about it. I do not agree with the 'gay' lifestyle but to be honest, it's none of my business anyway. I'm a lifelong biker and not everyone likes that lifestyle either.
good post, but I think we are wasting our time. The OP is not going to know, til he gets here; he is already to come here for school and has been posting all kinds of questions off and on for months now. No one can really tell him how he will be accepted in Arkansas, particularly Clarksville unless they actually life there and are attending school there.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:30 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I can't speak for Clarksville, but I will say that Arkansas is not nearly as homophobic as people make it out to be. I lived there for 21 years. [I'm 23 for context] I was out since I was 14. I wasn't out in every single setting, but I'd categorize myself as out.

Most people won't care about it, especially those under age say, 30.

My best advice is to not worry too much about if. Of course it may be smart to keep it quiet at work until you get a feel for the climate. I would say this to anyone, no matter where they worked. Unfortunately workplace discrimination against LGBT people is common and legal in many places.

Best of luck, OP.
I agree with PurpleLove here. Don't be open at work unless you are sure its fine in your workplace. Firing over sexual orientation in Arkansas is legal and fairly common. Outside of that, you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:44 AM

10 posts, read 17,350 times
Expecting for no one to judge you may be a bit optimistic, but expecting it to be any worse in the south than it would be anywhere else isn't really fair. You could encounter prejudice anywhere you go. I went to school with, and was friends with a number of openly gay people in high school in fort smith, and while I was in college at University of the Ozarks, and only one or two times did any of my friends say anything about being treated poorly because of their sexual orientation. I assume that you are going to U of O, and if that's the case then I can imagine you having any issues, certainly not at the school. It's a surprisingly liberal college considering it's location, and welcoming to all types of people. I think the Jones Learning Center and the large number of Central and South American students are a huge reason for the accepting atmosphere at the school. Everyone gets to spend time with people from all walks of life and that results in a pretty open minded atmosphere where people are likely to get to know you as a person before they form opinions.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,030 times
Move to LR or hot springs and if you really want to be accepted move to Eureka Springs. Its the gay honey moon capitol of the nation. Arguable I know but there are a lot of gay couples there. No one cares in ES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas