U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:18 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,395,957 times

Advertisements

I went and checked out the campus between classes today, its only about 15 or 20 minutes away from my school. Its a really nice campus, I was surprised at the size. Most of the people looked under 25, some of them were singing, If your living on campus I wouldn't be surprised if you are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:33 PM

19,700 posts, read 24,815,586 times
I'm not gay but I have relatives in Little Rock. I love it there. NW AR is beautiful and my daughter is looking at Hendrix College this Spring.

Just understand that Arkansas is not San Fransisco or Greenwich Village.

Use common sense and you should be fine.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,746,293 times
I doubt Arkansas folks are homophobic any more than elsewhere in the US.

What they are is pro-"you do what you like in the privacy of your own home, I do what I like in the privacy of mine." You respect me and I'll respect you.

And parading and loud protesting as a form of expression in Arkansas is not the default way most people show expression. Rather, they have an issue of concern, they go to their neighbor and address it politely. That's just the Arkansas way I would guess. You are free to parade the streets, others are free to not like what you are expressing and that's also freedom of expression. But it's easier to sustain neighborly living when people do their best to cooperate with each other.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:08 PM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm not gay but I have relatives in Little Rock. I love it there. NW AR is beautiful and my daughter is looking at Hendrix College this Spring.

Just understand that Arkansas is not San Fransisco or Greenwich Village.

Use common sense and you should be fine.
Thanks Sheena, you said it better than any of us probably could. Overall the state is conservative but that doesn't mean we are unfriendly to peoples sexual orientation. San Francisco is very gay friendly, we do not point fingers, make fun or gays or discriminate and we are becoming more diverse by the year, but we are still basically we are accepting but not overall enthusiastic to flaunting.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM

19,700 posts, read 24,815,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks Sheena, you said it better than any of us probably could. Overall the state is conservative but that doesn't mean we are unfriendly to peoples sexual orientation. San Francisco is very gay friendly, we do not point fingers, make fun or gays or discriminate and we are becoming more diverse by the year, but we are still basically we are accepting but not overall enthusiastic to flaunting.

No. I think that you said it even better!

There are hateful people everywhere that will point fingers and make fun of others.
I can't associate with these folks.

Yet, when you move from one place to another, it is YOU who need to assimilate - not the general population.

Most places id the US, "deviate to the norm".

There are people in the US who think that being Gay is the same as being a pedophile.
I am originally from the suburbs of New York City and several neighbors expressed those erroneous thoughts.

Only 60 miles from NYC and that was the belief. Predominant? No. But perhaps a third of the people thought that way.

I find Arkansans to be friendly and funny. They are not knee jerk in their rejection of other people who can't trace their lineage back three or five generations.

There are states like that. Pennsylvanian was like that.

I have not found Arkansas to be that way, though.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 PM

14,838 posts, read 18,521,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMN View Post
I'm moving from Minneapolis to Clarksville to attend college and I'm so excited. I love Arkansas but I also feel a little bit nervous about whether or not there will be hostility to me as a gay man. Being from Minneapolis, I have never experienced real homophobia

I'm not flamboyant so that might help a bit

BTW, since I don't judge people for being from the south (not every Southerner is homophobic or racist), isn't it fair to expect them not to judge me for being gay?

I am so excited to move to the Natural state, even if I will experience homophobia while I'm there. I just want to know what to expect so I'm not taken by surpirse if it's really bad.

PS- go Razorbacks
Just be yourself, if you are flamboyant than just do you.
Arkansas is a red state, which means they are big on small government, freedom, personal liberties.
I would hope people wouldn't give you an issue because of your sexual orientation.

Be yourself, you will make friends with people who are like you.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Just be yourself, if you are flamboyant than just do you.
Arkansas is a red state, which means they are big on small government, freedom, personal liberties.
I would hope people wouldn't give you an issue because of your sexual orientation.

Be yourself, you will make friends with people who are like you.
I am guessing he has found out by now what it is like: he has been going to school there for almost a school year. I wonder what it has been like for him, he hasn't been back to let us know. Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or