U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM

316 posts, read 343,656 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this one for a few days. I suppose it would be possible to live in Hot Springs without a car, but I sure wouldn't want to do it.

For one thing, a lot of the retail stuff in Hot Springs is several miles south of downtown, south of the bypass, or several miles west of downtown. Also, I would be worried about how safe it would be for a single gal to live in the downtown area.

But living in NYC is so outside my realm that I can't imagine doing that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,522,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanista View Post
Never too late!?
Your fantasy was at least more realistic than mine....I had my sights on the old medical arts building!
10-4 on the old medical arts building. As I drove through there the other day I looked up at it and imagined it turned into high-dollar condos as they have done in Little Rock .

Old 06-29-2013, 05:32 AM

75,651 posts, read 88,396,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
10-4 on the old medical arts building. As I drove through there the other day I looked up at it and imagined it turned into high-dollar condos as they have done in Little Rock .
It will happen some day, but I would like to think not. I know, progress is needed to keep things from dying, but those old buildings add so much to a small town.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 AM

389 posts, read 1,065,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
I've been thinking about this one for a few days. I suppose it would be possible to live in Hot Springs without a car, but I sure wouldn't want to do it.

For one thing, a lot of the retail stuff in Hot Springs is several miles south of downtown, south of the bypass, or several miles west of downtown. Also, I would be worried about how safe it would be for a single gal to live in the downtown area.

But living in NYC is so outside my realm that I can't imagine doing that either.
Do you want to rent or buy? Right now there are 2,018 listings for this zip code for sale including my other house. Almost no houses to rent but there are apartments and condos available. I do know of a possible rental house, (two bedroom with a view) that is not currently listed as a rental. (not mine) Would rent south of $1,200 a month. Real close to shopping and great location. (I'm not an agent; just know of it.)

I agree with the rest of your post.

I may be dense but I still don't see why the Village shouldn't be considered especially for a bike rider. And for someone with a car, Benton is just a short distance away with plenty of shopping.

The south side of Hot Springs is where I would locate if I were moving here. I would not live in the downtown historic area. At the bypass and Central (highway 7) would be the starting point. The "Y" is a huge bonus and hospital facilities, doctors, etc. a short distance away.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 AM

12 posts, read 19,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It will happen some day, but I would like to think not. I know, progress is needed to keep things from dying, but those old buildings add so much to a small town.
They do indeed, and Hot Springs has a real treasure in the old Med Arts. But such conversions don't require altering a building's exterior, and they're sometimes all that stand between the old building and a wrecking ball!

Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 AM

2,457 posts, read 6,522,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree those old buildings add to the community, but the medical arts and a hotel up and across the street have been vacant for many years and are rotting down pigeon roosts.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM

75,651 posts, read 88,396,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I agree those old buildings add to the community, but the medical arts and a hotel up and across the street have been vacant for many years and are rotting down pigeon roosts.
It is sad when this happens, but I guess nothing lasts forever and condos, if built using the same, wonderful architecture we see in Hot Springs might be a good thing.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:34 PM

836 posts, read 686,450 times
living in hot springs without a car?

well, i would definitely look at the downtown area for biking and walking. plus, you will be steps from plenty of national park trails for some serious hiking.

i ride a bike and i can't recommend the 7 south area for biking or walking to shopping, or anything else. it is where i have a condo and i love it. but, i do have to drive to even buy a gallon of milk.

there is a city bus service that services the 7 south area, but i am not sure if they go any further south than the mall.

hot springs village? while you could probably get around on your bike without any issues (inside the gate), i don't think the road to hot springs is very conducive to biking. while the distance is not really an issue for any serious biker, the road is narrow, with curves and hills. just a safety issue with me. there should be everything you need just outside the gate, but i don't know of any public transportation for hot springs village.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:58 PM

46 posts, read 126,290 times
Hot Springs is not bike friendly. The main road thru town called Central Avenue is a narrow street. there is no room for bikes and you don't see bikes. I do know that there are many sidewalks all along Central but the police will attack someone just for riding a skateboard. So I suppose that means you can't ride a bike on the sidewalks . They just have so many people walking that there really isn't room to dodge bikes. Hot Springs Village is not bike friendly either except under one condition: if you are in a club or a group of people who like to ride around the neighborhoods just for exercise you could do that. But to get from a house in the village to a place to eat it is EXTREMELY HILLY=very difficult to make those hills. We lived there ten years and it is beautiful but rarely did I see a bike. You just cannot use one for transportation in the village.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 6,262 times
Cool Hot Springs w/o Car

I live near downtown Hot Springs. For the first year, I did not have a car; walking and the public bus was my only means of transportation. I should add that I am in my sixties and have lived in New York (years ago!), Portland, Chicago-places where walking is OK and encouraged. I Know a couple in my neighborhood who bike and walk everywhere. So it can be done, but it is hard. The buses do have bike racks. They do not run evenings or Sundays. They run every hour, but do not always keep on schedule. The big problem I have encountered in Hot Springs is the general attitude. Most places, people think "one less car on the road-yeah!" In Hot Springs, people will look at you askance and think "Well, not one of US!" Because so few people actually do walk (except for prancing around the golf course) and few bike, there is not really a mindset that allows people to watch for walkers or bikers and to drive safely in regards to them. You MUST always be on guard. Do not assume people will use turn signals, stop at red lights or be courteous. And yes, men will try to pick you up. It can be the middle of the day, you can be dressed conservatively, minding your own business, moving briskly, it does not matter. They will try to pick you up. Yes, it is creepy and tiring. No they are not trying to be nice. I went everywhere when I lived in large cities, often at night. I tried to be smart and cautious. Granted, I am much older than you and maybe Hot Springs just caused me to lose my nerve but I NEVER go out at night. I think for a younger energetic person Biking and walking can be done; there will be times when you may need to take the bus for shopping. I think that younger people here are much more encouraging and supportive to this kind of lifestyle. I freely admit I am a bit cranky in regards to some of the struggles I have had here but that is relative to my age. I live in an old historic loft building, it is a great place with great people, many in your age demographic. And it is affordable and close to the public bus transportation system. I have bounced around a lot in my life; I am not sorry I did so as it gave me a fair amount of insight and hopefully, a little extra wisdom. I bet you could do this and probably do it well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or