U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Little Rock AR USA
2,457 posts, read 6,523,265 times
Reputation: 1887

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think, you find coyotes more in the prairie areas without as many trees and hills. At least that has been our experience. As for skunks, that is interesting, we are always saying we see fewer skunks here than almost anyplace we have lived. We do see Possums, and coons plus ground hogs.
"---coyotes more in the prairie areas ---" is not correct nmnita . I know for a fact that Hot Spring and Hempstead Counties are "full" of them and those counties are mostly trees (timber companies) and hills, with a few mountains .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,789,805 times
Reputation: 6238
Seen a Coyote in Bella Vista last year up by the cave/RV park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 05:00 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Reputation: 46493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
"---coyotes more in the prairie areas ---" is not correct nmnita . I know for a fact that Hot Spring and Hempstead Counties are "full" of them and those counties are mostly trees (timber companies) and hills, with a few mountains .
you probably know more about this than I do, it just seems, most coyotes we have seen or heard are in the prairie areas. The ones people have seen or say they have seen here would be near the lakes and of course as you know the trees. It looks like Cali Bassman says about the same as you do. The only think I have seen around here, actually wandered through our yard last year. It was a grey fox. We did see mure unusual creatures last year, with all the heat and dry conditions we had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 09:26 AM
 
186 posts, read 410,608 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
we don't have the bears, black or any other color, but we have both red and grey fox, and the Armadillos seem to just multiply by the side of the road or middle. Each year we see more of them, but they never seem to be moving. Someone said they say a bob cat not too long ago, yet, like the coyotes, I am not sure if that is what they saw or if they had too much to drink that day?
You have bears in the area, but they aren't very social (which is good for both you and them). You probably do have bobcats too, but you can count yourself as extremely lucky if you actually manage to see one. Coyotes....well...... They aren't as common as they are in NM, but they are pretty common to your general area. Mom and dad hear them all the time, but have never seen one. Having lived in NM myself, and having coyotes sitting outside my windows on more than one occasion, I'm good with them not seeing one......they would hate to lose their prized cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Little Rock AR USA
2,457 posts, read 6,523,265 times
Reputation: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
You have bears in the area, but they aren't very social (which is good for both you and them). You probably do have bobcats too, but you can count yourself as extremely lucky if you actually manage to see one. Coyotes....well...... They aren't as common as they are in NM, but they are pretty common to your general area. Mom and dad hear them all the time, but have never seen one. Having lived in NM myself, and having coyotes sitting outside my windows on more than one occasion, I'm good with them not seeing one......they would hate to lose their prized cat.
And coyotes love cats! Dad lived on the Sonora on south AZ and was a cat person with many of them, until the coyotes found them. Then he would have to start all over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Reputation: 46493
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
You have bears in the area, but they aren't very social (which is good for both you and them). You probably do have bobcats too, but you can count yourself as extremely lucky if you actually manage to see one. Coyotes....well...... They aren't as common as they are in NM, but they are pretty common to your general area. Mom and dad hear them all the time, but have never seen one. Having lived in NM myself, and having coyotes sitting outside my windows on more than one occasion, I'm good with them not seeing one......they would hate to lose their prized cat.
actually we have been told by the fish and game officers in our area, we do not have bears. I am just going by what they say. As for the coyotes I know a few friends who have seen them near the lakes, so I guess we do have them, but rarely have, even those living near the lake heard them. Do you parents live here in Bella Vista?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Little Rock AR USA
2,457 posts, read 6,523,265 times
Reputation: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actually we have been told by the fish and game officers in our area, we do not have bears. I am just going by what they say. As for the coyotes I know a few friends who have seen them near the lakes, so I guess we do have them, but rarely have, even those living near the lake heard them. Do you parents live here in Bella Vista?
And the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission ("fish and game officers") say we do not have any cougars/panthers in Arkansas. When I told them I saw a black one crossing the highway in Polk County they said it probably was a black cat . I told them it was one of a "black cat" when it's head was at the shoulder of the road when it's tail was just crossing the center stripe . Then a friend got the photo of a tan one on his game camera he had set up before deer season. AG&F said it probably was some ones pet which had escaped .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 PM
 
186 posts, read 410,608 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actually we have been told by the fish and game officers in our area, we do not have bears. I am just going by what they say. As for the coyotes I know a few friends who have seen them near the lakes, so I guess we do have them, but rarely have, even those living near the lake heard them. Do you parents live here in Bella Vista?
The officers probably don't want to create a panic (although I don't see why a couple black bears would cause a panic anyway, I grew up with them around when I lived in TN). I saw a bear once when I was coming out of a cave down there a couple years ago. There still aren't a ton of bears in NWA, but the numbers are growing.

Mom and dad live just over the border from Bella Vista in MO...they can see the lights of town from their house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2013, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Reputation: 46493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
And coyotes love cats! Dad lived on the Sonora on south AZ and was a cat person with many of them, until the coyotes found them. Then he would have to start all over again.
When we moved from California to DC many years ago, our son gave our wonderful cat to his girlfriend: I don't think it was 2 weeks before kitty disappeared. We always thought it was coyotes. Poor kitty!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Reputation: 46493
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
The officers probably don't want to create a panic (although I don't see why a couple black bears would cause a panic anyway, I grew up with them around when I lived in TN). I saw a bear once when I was coming out of a cave down there a couple years ago. There still aren't a ton of bears in NWA, but the numbers are growing.

Mom and dad live just over the border from Bella Vista in MO...they can see the lights of town from their house.
I am little confused? I don't know what lights you are talking about, cause we really don't have a town, Even town center have no lights to speak of. As for the bears, I really can't say either way. I just know what we have been told, so I will let that go. I still wonder what lights you parents are seeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top