U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:33 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,789,805 times

Advertisements

Southern Missouri has both cougers and bear, officials there also said they weren't there. Finally there were enough game camera shots of them they, hit by cars, shot by farmers that they finally admitted/ agreed they were there,
Point being that if Southern Mo has them, it more that likely they are in Northern Arkansas too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 03:39 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,609,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Southern Missouri has both cougers and bear, officials there also said they weren't there. Finally there were enough game camera shots of them they, hit by cars, shot by farmers that they finally admitted/ agreed they were there,
Point being that if Southern Mo has them, it more that likely they are in Northern Arkansas too

Southern MO has a great deal of mountain lion activity. There has been several news reports about it.

As Slim noted, agfc says, "We ain't got no mountain lions".

I related here once, about 4 years ago or so, a neighbor had one hanging around his chicken coop. So he shot it.

He calls AGFC, and says, "Uh..I just shot a mountain lion". Woman says, "We don't have any mountain lions". He says, "Well, you might want to send an officer to look at this non-existent mountain lion". She says they'll call back.

An officer calls him and says, "SIR!!.....We don't have mountain lions".

My buddy says, "OK", and hangs up, then called me and said, "Tell me I'm not dreaming". So I went down to his place, and there it was. A female, probably around 100 pounds, with a good heart/lung shot.

Then this spring, I'm sitting in the dining room/official RogMar sentry post, and I see something moving at the fence line. A mountain lion comes about 60 yards up my fence line, then turns and trots back. A couple of days later I'm down at the fillin' station for a summit, and I mention this, and I'm told who got a picture of it on their trail cams.

If it don't mess with me, I won't mess with it.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 AM

186 posts, read 410,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am little confused? I don't know what lights you are talking about, cause we really don't have a town, Even town center have no lights to speak of. As for the bears, I really can't say either way. I just know what we have been told, so I will let that go. I still wonder what lights you parents are seeing?
I stand corrected......they can see part of Holiday Island from their house. Oops I think I got confused because they have gone to/through Bella Vista many times (they love traveling all over SW MO and NWA).

Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Especially since the stance of the MO conservation Dept is that our animals came from NWA.....but I would be willing to guess that Arkansas would say that the animals seen in Arkansas came down from MO....

Old 07-06-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Southern MO has a great deal of mountain lion activity. There has been several news reports about it.

As Slim noted, agfc says, "We ain't got no mountain lions".

I related here once, about 4 years ago or so, a neighbor had one hanging around his chicken coop. So he shot it.

He calls AGFC, and says, "Uh..I just shot a mountain lion". Woman says, "We don't have any mountain lions". He says, "Well, you might want to send an officer to look at this non-existent mountain lion". She says they'll call back.

An officer calls him and says, "SIR!!.....We don't have mountain lions".

My buddy says, "OK", and hangs up, then called me and said, "Tell me I'm not dreaming". So I went down to his place, and there it was. A female, probably around 100 pounds, with a good heart/lung shot.

Then this spring, I'm sitting in the dining room/official RogMar sentry post, and I see something moving at the fence line. A mountain lion comes about 60 yards up my fence line, then turns and trots back. A couple of days later I'm down at the fillin' station for a summit, and I mention this, and I'm told who got a picture of it on their trail cams.

If it don't mess with me, I won't mess with it.
I had a similar-ish thing happen when I was on vacation out in Yellowstone long before they had reintroduced the wolves out there. I was out on a trail, and snapped a photo of what I KNEW was a wolf (I have both a nursing degree and a wildlife degree). Officials out there swore up and down that I must have just seen a large coyote. I told them that I certainly knew the difference, and I had never seen a coyote that weighed 120+ pounds. "Oh no, we don't have wolves here, you're mistaken". OK.....then fast forward to after the reintroduction, and someone finally admitted that there were some lone wolves that had passed through the park, but no one could admit it lest they not get the funding for the reintroduction.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:57 AM

75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
I stand corrected......they can see part of Holiday Island from their house. Oops I think I got confused because they have gone to/through Bella Vista many times (they love traveling all over SW MO and NWA).
that does sound more like it though I don't know much about Holiday Island. I was really wondering where I had been, if someone saw the BV lights?

Old 07-06-2013, 05:13 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,911,670 times
Our property boarders the woods so we get quite a bit of wildlife. Our yard is home to tons of rabbits, a mole looking thing, field mice, a few black snakes that we don't kill in hopes they will keep the bad snakes away, tarantulas , racoons, several deer often at the same time, coyotes come up to our fence on occasion, a red and gray fox, opossums, bobcat, rats (could do without those though), lots of birds and on occasion a very large owl

Old 07-06-2013, 07:57 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,523,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
Especially since the stance of the MO conservation Dept is that our animals came from NWA.....but I would be willing to guess that Arkansas would say that the animals seen in Arkansas came down from MO....
No, no, no pams . They ain't none in AR . I know 'cause that's what the AGFC told me !

Old 07-07-2013, 03:45 AM

2,002 posts, read 2,870,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
When I see the title, "so much wildlife", I think of all the wild retirees in Belle Vista. LOL
Hey, I resemble that remark!!! Only I'm in Mena.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that does sound more like it though I don't know much about Holiday Island. I was really wondering where I had been, if someone saw the BV lights?
Holiday Island is still small, but maybe not as small as BV..I'd have to look it up. Mom and dad have a rather impressive view from their house, since they are on top of a mountain (hill, depending on where you're from ) and at least part of their view covers National Forest land so they never have to worry about people putting houses over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas