U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 AM

186 posts, read 410,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Our property boarders the woods so we get quite a bit of wildlife. Our yard is home to tons of rabbits, a mole looking thing, field mice, a few black snakes that we don't kill in hopes they will keep the bad snakes away, tarantulas , racoons, several deer often at the same time, coyotes come up to our fence on occasion, a red and gray fox, opossums, bobcat, rats (could do without those though), lots of birds and on occasion a very large owl
If the mole-looking thing is about the size of a field mouse (roughly), it's a vole....the parents' cat kills a lot of those, so they must not be too bright.

I was driving down some small highway in Arkansas about a month ago headed for a cave, when I saw some large-ish dark thing crossing the road. I almost ran off the road when I realized it was a tarantula. Not as big and scary as the ones I saw when I lived out in the Southwest, but still big enough that it freaked me out....and made me very glad I was in a car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 07:13 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,910,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
If the mole-looking thing is about the size of a field mouse (roughly), it's a vole....the parents' cat kills a lot of those, so they must not be too bright.

I was driving down some small highway in Arkansas about a month ago headed for a cave, when I saw some large-ish dark thing crossing the road. I almost ran off the road when I realized it was a tarantula. Not as big and scary as the ones I saw when I lived out in the Southwest, but still big enough that it freaked me out....and made me very glad I was in a car!

It might be a vole, don't think I ever heard of them though but it's like a mole, field mouse, chipmunk size but with a mouse like tail. The tarantulas actually have trails that they seem to follow all over the hillside that I live on. Right after we built our house in 2003 we came home to find a huge tarantula on the side of our house. They have a little trail I always see them walking on along our fence line and I've seen numerous on our back patio as well. I forgot to add we also have scorpions (I could without them as well). We have had two brown ones in our house which freaks me out because we have oak flooring and they blind in all to well with it. We have also had one black scorpion in our house, I woke up one night and had to go to the bathroom and happened to look in the toilet because I saw something black and my first thought was a snake but turned on the light and it was a big black scorpion sitting it the toilet bowel. I woke my husband up because I had no idea what to do, he flushed it and went back to bed lol.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
It might be a vole, don't think I ever heard of them though but it's like a mole, field mouse, chipmunk size but with a mouse like tail. The tarantulas actually have trails that they seem to follow all over the hillside that I live on. Right after we built our house in 2003 we came home to find a huge tarantula on the side of our house. They have a little trail I always see them walking on along our fence line and I've seen numerous on our back patio as well. I forgot to add we also have scorpions (I could without them as well). We have had two brown ones in our house which freaks me out because we have oak flooring and they blind in all to well with it. We have also had one black scorpion in our house, I woke up one night and had to go to the bathroom and happened to look in the toilet because I saw something black and my first thought was a snake but turned on the light and it was a big black scorpion sitting it the toilet bowel. I woke my husband up because I had no idea what to do, he flushed it and went back to bed lol.
Based on your description, the rodent is actually most likely a shrew. They are interesting little rodents, in that some species have venom in their saliva (found in the grooves of their teeth)....not poisonous to humans, of course. Some also use echolocation like bats do.

I can do without scorpions as well.....saw plenty in NM and in TN. I know they can't kill me (unless I happen to be allergic, which I don't plan to test)...but they still creep me out. Actually, anything with more than 4 legs creeps me out. I'd rather find a snake in my bed than a spider or scorpion any day.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
we haven't seen any scorpions in the 5 plus years we have lived here, but yes, they are plenty in NM and Texas as well. I am sure, if I look hard enough, which I don't intend on doing, I would see them. We do get a lot of creatures that I would rather not see. Luckily spraying the house keeps them away from indoors or they die as soon as they come in. We had a baby cottontail (dead) on our screened porch a few years ago. He didn't bother me that much, but what did, knowing if there was a baby there had to be a mommy and daddy somewhere in the proximity of the yard. I guess this is the price we pay, for the beauty we have and the chance to see so many creatures.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 AM

If you really want to know If you have scorpions in your house (which I wouldn't want to, personally, since ignorance is bliss unless I see one outright)...you can use a blacklight. Scorpions in this area happen to light up under a blacklight....which I think would make me seriously reconsider my walking around the house barefooted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas