U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 AM

833 posts, read 682,819 times

Advertisements

i live in the delta and the area is not sad.

it has changed in the last few decades, but what area hasn't? pick a town or neighborhood in any area of arkansas and see if it has not changed in 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 12:18 PM

6 posts, read 8,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hope she is happy here. It really is a great place to live. We are from CA originally and there are things I miss about the state but I love living here, so does my family and who would ever have guessed we would end up in this state. The interesting thing, my Aunt was born in Vinita OK and dad in cement OK, they are both long gone, but I bet they are in heaven thinking how we have made the circle. Vinita, OK is only about an hour away from where we now live.
She is loving it so far! I'm hoping we will be heading over there in the next year or so if I can get my job to let me work from home. *fingers crossed
In the last two years or so I have been doing a lot of ancestry research and was also interested to see that my father's side of the family lived in Arkansas for many years and my husband and I both have roots in Oklahoma and Nebraska as well. When we made our trip to AR I truly felt like I was back "home". Sounds strange since I had never before been there but it just felt right.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin_country View Post
She is loving it so far! I'm hoping we will be heading over there in the next year or so if I can get my job to let me work from home. *fingers crossed
In the last two years or so I have been doing a lot of ancestry research and was also interested to see that my father's side of the family lived in Arkansas for many years and my husband and I both have roots in Oklahoma and Nebraska as well. When we made our trip to AR I truly felt like I was back "home". Sounds strange since I had never before been there but it just felt right.
Our son in law is working from home: that is how they could move up here from Dallas and they are in seventy heaven.

As for ancestry research, I want to get started so bad, but I am too cheap to pay the ancestry.com fees and I don't know where else to start. I know what you mean about feeling like you are home, but I think that has a lot to do with just the feeling people get living here. I take the back roads from here to WalMart in MO, and it feels like I am back in the days of "Little House on the prairie" with all the modern conveniences.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:44 PM

396 posts, read 594,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
well, i guess i am a little shocked by the unprovoked slam on the delta area. have you visited or lived in the delta? just exactly what is so sad about this area?

have you driven through the delta lately? the crops are beautiful and these farmers feed and clothe you.

i have lived in northwest arkansas and southeast arkansas, they are both good places to live. i currently have 3 homes in different areas of arkansas and none of them are sad areas to visit or live.

sorry for the rant, just didn't take the criticism well, especially if it is unfounded.
This is the first time I recall seeing anyone on CD stick up for the delta. Nice to see.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:22 PM

8,813 posts, read 13,262,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Our son in law is working from home: that is how they could move up here from Dallas and they are in seventy heaven.

As for ancestry research, I want to get started so bad, but I am too cheap to pay the ancestry.com fees and I don't know where else to start. I know what you mean about feeling like you are home, but I think that has a lot to do with just the feeling people get living here. I take the back roads from here to WalMart in MO, and it feels like I am back in the days of "Little House on the prairie" with all the modern conveniences.
I don't know if your library does it, but our library here in Chapel Hill has a subscription to Ancestry.com. Anyone can use it for free while they are at the the library. I have dug through Census records back to 1910. And for 15 cents I print them out. It's very cool! Check your local library, perhaps they have it, too!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I don't know if your library does it, but our library here in Chapel Hill has a subscription to Ancestry.com. Anyone can use it for free while they are at the the library. I have dug through Census records back to 1910. And for 15 cents I print them out. It's very cool! Check your local library, perhaps they have it, too!
Great idea and I think I have heard about that. I really do want to research. I have a few details. When we moved from Texas to NM our moving van was stolen. Regardless of how much money the company's insurance paid up (not nearly enough I will add) the money doesn't replace lost memories. I happen to the one, in the family that had our family bible and in it were a lot of records. I hope the jerks who stole our stuff enjoyed reading about where my dad's family grew up!!!!! What do ya want to bet, they threw it away. For some reason I do not think they stole the van to read a family bible.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
This is the first time I recall seeing anyone on CD stick up for the delta. Nice to see.
You'll find a delta lover over this way. Is it less affluent in many areas than ... where, the Heights in Little Rock? Probably most everywhere. But there are beautiful homes and land.

Try sitting in the middle of the delta on a hot summer night with a thunderstorm brewing and the lightning popping...smell the dirt and the rain, listen to the music from the juke joint on the corner and the sounds of people happy with their lot in life....there is nothing finer in this world. I'd be in the delta in a heartbeat - I did live in the Mississippi delta just across from the state line for many years. I guess you either love it or don't see the beauty, but it is an extraordinary place with a unique character that perhaps only some truly appreciate.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:11 PM

396 posts, read 594,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

Try sitting in the middle of the delta on a hot summer night with a thunderstorm brewing and the lightning popping...smell the dirt and the rain, listen to the music from the juke joint on the corner and the sounds of people happy with their lot in life....there is nothing finer in this world.
Ah, this post made me think back on a close friend of mine, deceased now for several years. He used to love the smell of fresh plowed ground just before a rain.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 PM

833 posts, read 682,819 times
the delta has been and continues to be, very good for me, my family and many others!

we are just days away from the start of the corn harvest and that will change the landscape of our area once again. it also starts the harvest season, which is very beneficial to our area in so many ways.

thanks for your positive comments.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:52 AM

To all of you who love the Delta or identify with it, I think I owe you an apology. I should have used different words, I am sure. What I meant, was the poverty, which is what so many see when driving through the area is where outsiders get the idea that the state is backwards, poor and nothing but a bunch of run down trailers and homes. It is the same along some of the roads leading into Mississippi and parts of the state, the same with WV. I certainly didn't mean to put the entire area down. I remember a few years ago, driving some of the rural roads in Mississippi in late Aug/early Sept and being amazed at the bales of cotton, and the corn fields. It made me think about my grandparents and my husbands family when they still lived on farms in the country. It made me appreciate all the sacrifices they made for us and our country. When I refer to the sad part of the Delta, I think of a couple very small towns we drove through where young men, just standing on the street corners drinking and smoking and the run down trailers along the highway.. That is what I meant by sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas