Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times

Advertisements

apology is accepted and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 03:14 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
I spent the weekend in the delta. A few hours on Lake Chicot with family and friends was great. Saturday night fighting skeeters was horrible.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Glad you enjoyed lake chicot, it is an asset to southeast ark. (Longest oxbow lake in the nation)

Yeah, mosquitos are still an issue, but they are less of a problem this year than in the past. The reason, there is less rice planted than in previous years. (Less standing water). We are screening in our little patio area this week so as to avoid those pesky insects.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
Glad you enjoyed lake chicot, it is an asset to southeast ark. (Longest oxbow lake in the nation)

Yeah, mosquitos are still an issue, but they are less of a problem this year than in the past. The reason, there is less rice planted than in previous years. (Less standing water). We are screening in our little patio area this week so as to avoid those pesky insects.
Back in the 80's, we would ride our bikes behind the city truck that sprayed for mosquitoes. One, it cooled you off. Two, fewer mosquitoes. I'm still waiting for that third eye to grow in my forehead.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM

Hopefully, your generation will fare better from a childhood of chemical exposure. I was a kid of the 60's and we really were exposed to a lot of farm and home chemicals. My parents fogged our house every night at bed time, to kill the mosquitos. Most of these chemicals are banned at the present time.

I am a cancer survivor and living a great life at the present time! But one of my oncologist told me that cancer was very prevalent in the people of my generation from my area. He really didn't need to tell me that as I know or knew most of these people.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Hopefully, your generation will fare better from a childhood of chemical exposure. I was a kid of the 60's and we really were exposed to a lot of farm and home chemicals. My parents fogged our house every night at bed time, to kill the mosquitos. Most of these chemicals are banned at the present time.

I am a cancer survivor and living a great life at the present time! But one of my oncologist told me that cancer was very prevalent in the people of my generation from my area. He really didn't need to tell me that as I know or knew most of these people.
sort off subject, but that sounds like the smog we were exposed to in So California growing up. We are a lot older than you and have reached an age where we know our friends will leave us, but the number, from the same 20 mile radius that have died from cancer or are cancer survivors is unreal, including my husband. Only one person in his family ever had cancer and yet, he has been fighting it for about 5 years. Of the 5 groomsmen in our wedding 2 have died from cancer, 1 is a cancer survivor and one's wife died of cancer. That is just the beginning. With the exception of one person we grew up with, everyone who has passed away died of cancer.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:26 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Back in the 80's, we would ride our bikes behind the city truck that sprayed for mosquitoes. One, it cooled you off. Two, fewer mosquitoes. I'm still waiting for that third eye to grow in my forehead.
I used to do the same thing on a bike but still at the age of 70 I don't have a third eye. I do, however, glow in the dark.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Around 1983 or 84, I had to ride on the back of my dad's tractor and manually lift the spray booms so he could turn around. I was coated in dinoseb (Premerge, Dinitro) Herbicide Profile 4/87 Turns out it was banned in 1986 by the EPA.

A few years ago, my wife and I stopped by my parent's house in the summer and I was astounded by the lack of mosquitoes in the yard. He had found a bottle of a well known but banned chemical in the back of his shop and decided to use it. Then I noticed there weren't any sounds outside either. No crickets. No frogs. Nothing.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
AWC

14 posts, read 41,226 times
I've lived in several states, and visited all but AK, HI, and some NE states (who would want to)
I wouldn't live anywhere else but Arkansas. The people, the seasons, the land...everything.

I've been all over the state, and there are very few places that I wouldn't want to stay awhile. There is something for everyone here, from rural and small town living to urban life.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Around 1983 or 84, I had to ride on the back of my dad's tractor and manually lift the spray booms so he could turn around. I was coated in dinoseb (Premerge, Dinitro) Herbicide Profile 4/87 Turns out it was banned in 1986 by the EPA.

A few years ago, my wife and I stopped by my parent's house in the summer and I was astounded by the lack of mosquitoes in the yard. He had found a bottle of a well known but banned chemical in the back of his shop and decided to use it. Then I noticed there weren't any sounds outside either. No crickets. No frogs. Nothing.
yeah, i was talking to a friend of mine the other day about the way we used to handle chemicals. he said when he mixed chemicals in huge drums as a kid, his protective garments were cut-off blue jeans and tennis shoes. i also remember kids having summer jobs flagging for the crop dusters. now that was really getting a dose of "over-spray."

with the advent of irrigation for almost all crops, we have some really beautiful fields. btw, i saw the first corn being harvested yesterday. we will have a new view with these 8 and 10 foot plants being cut. (the rain will stop the corn harvest today) lots of soybeans should follow the corn and very little cotton or rice this year, as matter of fact, several area cotton gins will be idle this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas