U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2013, 04:38 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Reputation: 46411

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
I could be completely wrong because I don't actually pay much attention to this but I think the state sales tax on food is only 3% or 3.5%. Counties and cities add their own local sales taxes in much of Arkansas which accounts for why in most places what you pay is higher than that. Mike Beebe made cutting the sales tax a big goal of his. Before he came in office it was about 7%. The state sales tax on food is scheduled to be cut further to either 1% or 0.5%, the only reason it won't be eliminated because of an amendment to the state constitution requiring that minimum amount. The smaller localities will continue to have their own policies about local sales taxes.
No, you are not wrong, you are pretty close to right...obviously you pay more attention than you think you do. Thanks for clarifying this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville
1,205 posts, read 2,395,957 times
Reputation: 2596
The only problem I see with it is that a lot of people will buy food locally and buy just about everything else online.

I'm getting free two day shipping from amazon for six months just for being a college student, all you have to have is a working .edu address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Reputation: 46411
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
The only problem I see with it is that a lot of people will buy food locally and buy just about everything else online.

I'm getting free two day shipping from amazon for six months just for being a college student, all you have to have is a working .edu address.
I am probably one of the few who think when we order on line we should pay state sales tax. think of how many of us order on line and have figured out ways we can get around paying shipping or taxes. This hurts the local merchants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville
1,205 posts, read 2,395,957 times
Reputation: 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am probably one of the few who think when we order on line we should pay state sales tax. think of how many of us order on line and have figured out ways we can get around paying shipping or taxes. This hurts the local merchants.
Unless you count walmart as a local merchant I don't think many where I'm at would shop at local merchants anyways. I meant more that it hurts local tax revenue than local merchants.

Not to mention prices are usually just lower when you take the time to shop around online anyways. Unless its something I need right away I will look on ebay etc to make sure I'm getting a fair price.

I thought about buying hdmi cables at walmart the other day, cheapest they had was about $14. I decided to look on ebay and I can get them for 2 something with free shipping. I'd probably buy them on ebay even with the extra twenty cents or so in sales taxes.

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 07-28-2013 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: hdmi cables not htmi cables lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 AM
 
41,397 posts, read 25,653,808 times
Reputation: 13355
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am probably one of the few who think when we order on line we should pay state sales tax. think of how many of us order on line and have figured out ways we can get around paying shipping or taxes. This hurts the local merchants.
When we order on line we pay shipping and handling costs. Think how that hurts on-line merchants, who are, after all, local merchants somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Reputation: 46411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When we order on line we pay shipping and handling costs. Think how that hurts on-line merchants, who are, after all, local merchants somewhere.
and this is the dilemma most of us face: which way to go? I have to admit, I rarely pay handling costs unless I order from EBay, yes, I do pay shipping unless they are offering a special, which I usually try and get. I know this is a very debatable and hot topic....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,403 posts, read 9,718,236 times
Reputation: 12301
Yes, and thanks to all of us on line (Amazon) shoppers, they are hiring 5000 more warehouse employees some of whom will be in AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 AM
 
4,817 posts, read 7,092,624 times
Reputation: 6887
Where I live, the law is that you must report all online purchases when you file your state taxes and the tax on them is added to your total. It's called the "Consumer Use Tax" or something like that. I keep all emails from ordering something and add them up when I do the taxes.

Is this not the law in every state? Oh wait, some states don't even have state income taxes, right?

But anyway, having the internet to order stuff is definitely a plus....for example, our refrigerator's icemaker is out and my husband just ordered a new one online and it will be here in a couple of days....can you imagine the hassle of trying to get one through where we bought the refrigerator (Lowe's) or having to call a repairman to do it? It's just a simple matter of a couple of screws and a little plug on the electrical line!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Reputation: 46411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Where I live, the law is that you must report all online purchases when you file your state taxes and the tax on them is added to your total. It's called the "Consumer Use Tax" or something like that. I keep all emails from ordering something and add them up when I do the taxes.

Is this not the law in every state? Oh wait, some states don't even have state income taxes, right?

But anyway, having the internet to order stuff is definitely a plus....for example, our refrigerator's icemaker is out and my husband just ordered a new one online and it will be here in a couple of days....can you imagine the hassle of trying to get one through where we bought the refrigerator (Lowe's) or having to call a repairman to do it? It's just a simple matter of a couple of screws and a little plug on the electrical line!
wow, I never thought about checking for an ice maker, ours has been out for about 6 months, we just go to $ general and buy ice every couple of weeks. Thanks for the idea.

Now, as for the law, technically you are right, it is just 99% of the people do not report the purchase and no one seems to really care. This may change in the future...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville
1,205 posts, read 2,395,957 times
Reputation: 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, I never thought about checking for an ice maker, ours has been out for about 6 months, we just go to $ general and buy ice every couple of weeks. Thanks for the idea.

Now, as for the law, technically you are right, it is just 99% of the people do not report the purchase and no one seems to really care. This may change in the future...
How do you enforce it, dig through everybody’s emails looking for purchases?
Sure you can start requiring American companies to report stuff but what about shopping sites who have their servers in China?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:08 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top