U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,763 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family (husband and 2 girls, 1 y/o & 2 y/o) are looking to get out of TX (currently live in Austin metro area) and wanted to check out NW Arkansas. DH is originally from the White County area of Arkansas, Searcy to be exact, and from my visits there I am not really a fan, especially since you have to travel to a different county to buy a bottle of wine!

I heard many good things about NW Arkansas and especially since it's close to the Ozarks. I am wanting to get out of the liberal area of Texas and move somewhere where we can experience all four seasons because here in Austin it's mainly summer and light winter if that makes any sense.

Since I've never been and neither has my husband and from just doing random google searches, how is the area? Cost of living? Nature? We are a fit family and we want our daughters to experience nature first hand. I miss seeing mountains and hills, etc.

I'm looking more around the area of Eureka Springs, Rogers, and so on. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 PM

733 posts, read 1,538,799 times
I have been here for two and a half months and so far I enjoy it. I as well enjoy nature big time, which is one reason why I moved up here. Roughly a year and a half ago, I was getting brochures in the mail because I simply wanted to visit the area, but after getting all those brochures and seeing what all was offered, I decided that I possibly wanted to move up here. Then once I visited a few times, I found that I really enjoyed it. From where I live in Bentonville (Which is basically across the highway of Rogers, the Buffalo River area is only a two hour drive, which is where a large amount of waterfalls are located. There are several caves within an hours drive. I don't think I've really lived here long enough to talk much about cost of living. I rent, so if you're looking to buy, then I have no information for you. One of my favorite things is here in Bentonville, I'd feel safe walking the entire town at night seeings how crime is almost non existent. It may be a bit worse in other locations in NWA, but even then...I still don't hear much. Really, you'll have to visit once or twice to decide whether it's actually what you want.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:15 AM

75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
We have been here a little over 5 years: I can't think of anywhere I would rather live and we have lived all over the country. When we moved here, only one other member of the family was here, that was our granddaughter who had just graduated from U of A. Since then her parents (our older daughter) have moved here with her husband, from Dallas. Our younger daughter, from fl would if they didn't own a business in the Orlando area and our daughters oldest girl her husband and their 2 little girls just moved here from OKC.

Over all the cost of living is less but we do have state income tax and we do have tax of food, which you do not have. We certainly have 4 seasons and none are too extreme most years. We did have 2 really awful summers, 2011 and 2012 but so did Texas. We have had 1 horrible ice storm since moving here. That was our first winter and about 2 years ago we had a record amount of snow. Mostly we enjoy the beauty of the 4 seasons with none being bad and of course spring and fall are like being next to heaven.

If you are looking for nature, almost anyplace in NWA would work. You would have places to hike, wildlife in you yard, like deer, squirrels, rabbits, Armadillos, ground hogs, coons, etc.

I would suggest, Rogers, Bentonville, Gravette, Bella Vista for starters. If you want to experience a more conservative life style I don't think Eureka Springs is what you want and maybe not Fayetteville.

Will you have trouble finding work? Are you a stay at home mom or do you work outside the home as well? Is church affiliation important to you? All these things you need to consider. I would take about a week, at least 3 or 4 days, come up and see the area for yourself. That is what we did. We decided to move from NM to AR to be closer the family. Our granddaughter suggested this area, cause she had fallen in love with NWA and she was a city girl, or so she thought. We spent 2 days here, then we checked out Grove, OK. We like Grove also, but decided, for what we wanted NWA was best.

I hope this helps you a little.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,763 times
Thank you!

I am a stay at home mom while my husband works in the computer/IT field which is never hard to find a job. My husband is Baptist and I was raised Catholic but we've been going to a Baptist church down here. My husband is very conservative, that is how he was raised down in Searcy, AR.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityCountryGal88 View Post
Thank you!

I am a stay at home mom while my husband works in the computer/IT field which is never hard to find a job. My husband is Baptist and I was raised Catholic but we've been going to a Baptist church down here. My husband is very conservative, that is how he was raised down in Searcy, AR.
I really think you would fit in very well here in NWA. BTW, I mentioned Gravette because it is a small town and very conservative but there isn't much there. You have to drive about 15 minutes to decent shopping and the school district is just so/so. A lot of the kids, on the west side of Bella Vista attend Gravette schools. On the east side of Bella Vista the kids attend Bentonville schools, but there is an elementary school in Bella Vista that is part of the Bentonville school district and there will be a new elementary school here on the west side in about 2 more years. The site has already been purchased. your husband will, most likely end up working in Rogers or Bentonville. I would suggest you look seriously at Bentonville, Rogers and Bella Vista. Bella Vista was originally designed as a retirement community but as the oldsters die off, younger families are taking over. My guess, in 10 years BV will be totally family oriented. Right now, it is very family friendly, but there are still a lot of seniors living here. Here is an example of the changes: when we moved here our street, which is pretty rural and not many houses had no kids. Now, we have a family with 2 little ones, a family with one and a couple of homes with teens.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:39 PM

78 posts, read 159,820 times
A tax on food was mentioned...how much tax? For example, what is the average cost of say, a quart of milk or a pound of hamburger in NW AR? Thanks

Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 PM

41,430 posts, read 25,679,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasketKitten View Post
A tax on food was mentioned...how much tax? For example, what is the average cost of say, a quart of milk or a pound of hamburger in NW AR? Thanks
Food tax is 4.5%. So last Friday when I picked up a loaf of bread for $2.00, it cost me $2.09 when I checked out of the store.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,397,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Food tax is 4.5%. So last Friday when I picked up a loaf of bread for $2.00, it cost me $2.09 when I checked out of the store.
I was jealous until I bought a jar off pizza sauce in Fort Smith today for a dollar and it cost me 1.05. I'm guessing they round up when they have a choice.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:43 AM

When we first moved to NM the food tax was 6%, but by the time we left it was 0. That might be the only really good think Bill Richardson did for the people of NM> Now I would like to see that here as well. Of course it has come down since we moved here 5 years ago.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 PM

397 posts, read 596,091 times
I could be completely wrong because I don't actually pay much attention to this but I think the state sales tax on food is only 3% or 3.5%. Counties and cities add their own local sales taxes in much of Arkansas which accounts for why in most places what you pay is higher than that. Mike Beebe made cutting the sales tax a big goal of his. Before he came in office it was about 7%. The state sales tax on food is scheduled to be cut further to either 1% or 0.5%, the only reason it won't be eliminated because of an amendment to the state constitution requiring that minimum amount. The smaller localities will continue to have their own policies about local sales taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or