U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM

9,863 posts, read 8,549,241 times

Advertisements

Thinking NW Arkansas for retirement. Any downside to living on the MO. side of the state border in this area?
Tax wise would probably be the difference, but I don't know much other than what's on internet. Sales tax property tax and income tax differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,976,047 times
I wouldn't say there is any downside. If anything, MO would be slightly cheaper on the taxes.
Arkansas has more population and consequently more stuff if you're looking at that extreme northwest corner. Otherwise, MO has Springfield/Branson which is equivalent.
They are both equally good for cheap rural land, if that's an issue.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 AM

75,651 posts, read 88,396,798 times
From what I have heard, MO does have an advantage but only slightly over AR when it comes to taxes. Both regions are great retirement areas, with lots of offer. We live right on the border, we shop on both sides, but we do prefer AR. If nothing else NWA is a little prettier with more greenery, than the SW part of MO. I am talking the true SW part, I am not talking as you go further east in Mo.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 AM

389 posts, read 1,065,739 times
I can speak to this as I have lived in both states most of my life. I lived in Springfield for 26 years and have traveled extensively into all of southwest Arkansas and I have also lived up near St. Louis as well. And I have traveled in my job duties over much of Missouri. I have not lived in Arkansas as long; only 2 years.

In terms of taxes I believe they are approximately the same. Arkansas has a higher sales tax but has low property taxes and a home tax exemption of $350 (at least where I live). So I think it would be largely a wash. There are websites that can compare the two on taxes.

The real reason we left Missouri was because Springfield was getting too big for us having grown greatly since we first moved there in 1975. At that time Branson was just a wide spot in the road and there was just a two lane road to Branson from Springfield.

If I were going to live in Missouri I would look carefully at the Cassville area as it is much smaller and more to my liking. And it is not that far from Springfield where major medical centers are; about 60 miles or so. I would not live in Branson or that area unless one likes a lot of commotion, traffic and the like. But not everyone minds. I do.

The other reason we moved was I got sick and tired of the fairly regular ice storms in the Springfield area and in 2010 we had a two foot snowfall. That was the last straw and we moved to Texas. But Texas burned down in 2012 with the drought they had that year. (118 degrees in August in Dallas) And it is a blast furnace virtually the entire summer. So we pulled up stakes and moved to Arkansas after visiting here. I would have done things differently having to do it all over again and not rushed into our home buying so quickly. But one can't get back yesterday. It is probably best to rent and take one's time to get what they want.

As I see it, and I speak from a long experience in Missouri, I would opt for Arkansas. Arkansas is simply much more beautiful. And I've probably driven over most of the roads in Missouri in my lifetime; even up north which is much flatter and less interesting.

I am constantly amazed at the natural beauty in Arkansas. We drove over to "Y" city from Hot Springs and then up to Fort Smith the other day and it was astounding. As I recall, the drive from For Smith up to Fayetteville is also a beautiful drive over the new interstate. You can see "forever". Just stunning.

If one lives in Missouri, expect to get snow and ice. And better get a 4x4 (and a good quality chainsaw) to get around in the winter time and be prepared for power outages, downed trees and the like. The ice storms seem to run along the I44 "corridor." But the weather is otherwise pretty decent with adequate rainfall, facilities and other amenities many people want. But I like a small town where I can get around easily and don't have to put up with traffic, rude drivers and a lot of hassle. And where I live, I can zip over to the Little Rock area in 45 minutes or less and into Benton that has plenty of shopping. And Little Rock must be the easiest "large" city I have driven in. A piece of cake.

Depends on what one wants I suppose. I like quietude, scenery, friendly people, low cost of living and the things that go along with that lifestyle. If one likes the hustle and bustle, the "energy" of the large city, then move to NYC as some do. I've driven through New England and didn't find it any prettier than the Ozarks. And in the Ozarks all the way down the west side, I give the nod to Arkansas. I just like it. No place is perfect but this is my last stop. Hope this helps out.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM

41,428 posts, read 25,676,041 times
If you're moving to NW AR to retire, and you're looking just over the border at Missouri, where I think housing is generally cheaper, the only downside would be about access. If you're going just over the border from Bella Vista, you still have easy access to the shopping, entertainment and medical facilities in Northwest Arkansas, and you've also made access to what Joplin has to offer also easier. But if you're looking over the Missouri border further west, like Seligman, you're putting yourself further away from the amenities of the more urban 540 corridor. It's not a huge difference, and with Seligman you're closer to Beaver Lake and Eureka Springs and Springfield. There are trade-offs wherever you live, and whatever your priorities are, they have to be considered when you're selecting someplace to live.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 PM

9,863 posts, read 8,549,241 times
Appreciate all the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or