U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times

Advertisements

OK, I have said this many times, I don't put muck stock into studies, polls and surveys, but it is always fun to have some bragging rights. Kiplinger report, due out next week ranks Little Rock the best place to live in the country, based on cities under a million people. The job market is strong, the medical fracilities good, housing prices low and good schools. Little Rock beat out Burlington, VT. College Station, TX and Santa Fe, NM. We know next year the list ill be totally different...Still we should be proud of the rating...I remember the year we moved here, Fayetteville was rated at the top for places to do business. Again, it was small towns, not overall. And of course, Bella Vista is rated as one of the best places to live and/or retire by almost every magazine, year in and year out. Say what you want: AR has a lot to offer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 AM

194 posts, read 222,140 times
very cool-can't wait to get there!!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,519,092 times
Yep, we (LR and AR) are some of the best kept secrets around. If you read the local daily paper though, you see more about murders and robberies than the large number of volunteers giving their time and the large number of young entrepreneurs starting successful businesses.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Yep, we (LR and AR) are some of the best kept secrets around. If you read the local daily paper though, you see more about murders and robberies than the large number of volunteers giving their time and the large number of young entrepreneurs starting successful businesses.
of course, we are a society that loves sensationalism. I remember clear back in the 60s a young father, with several children and no job tried to comment suicide by driving his car into a river. His wife happened to belong to a club I belonged to, so we were acquaintances. Of course the story made front page of our small daily newspaper. Several of our friends thought it was terrible, to play up something like that when he had a family. My husband, who happened to be a reporter at the time, tried to explain, happy stories don't make the news; bad stuff does.

Nita

Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,482,523 times
I wouldn't be surprised to see Little Rock getting more media attention and more growth in the coming years. It gets a bad rap because of Arkansas stereotypes but the city itself is very much becoming what a lot of people are looking for today. Great natural beauty and plenty of outdoor recreation activities of all kinds. It really is an aesthetically pleasing city. Shopping, dining, and nightlife has improved sevenfold over the past 5 years. If you are under 30 and single, there is no longer quite the need to go to Memphis on the weekends as there used to be. The only thing really going against it is the crime rate.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Little Rock getting more media attention and more growth in the coming years. It gets a bad rap because of Arkansas stereotypes but the city itself is very much becoming what a lot of people are looking for today. Great natural beauty and plenty of outdoor recreation activities of all kinds. It really is an aesthetically pleasing city. Shopping, dining, and nightlife has improved sevenfold over the past 5 years. If you are under 30 and single, there is no longer quite the need to go to Memphis on the weekends as there used to be. The only thing really going against it is the crime rate.
you know as much as I love AR as everyone knows and as much as I think it gets a crappy rap, I have only been to LR twice. Once we just drove through on our way to someplace else, I think Tunica. And once before we moved here, we were going from Texas to Tunica for a few days. We spent the night in Little Rock. I now, wish we had taken a day or so to see the city.

All of AR seems to be getting more attention. Or I say all: Little Rock and NWA at least.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 AM

4,817 posts, read 7,092,624 times
I've only driven through LR on the way to the cabin (coming in from the south on 530 and then west on I40), but it has always looked fairly neat and clean. I'm sure there are nasty spots, but that is the case anywhere you go. Even Jesus said, "The poor always ye have with you".

The downtown area off to the left from 530 looks pretty interesting, as does the riverfront. I've never been to the Quapaw Quarter but I've seen pictures. P. Allen Smith, one of my favorite garden show hosts, had a home there before he built his Garden Home Retreat. With all the interstate roads circling LR, it seems that it would be fairly easy to get around in.

Once you get onto I40, the terrain gets fairly hilly and pretty. I've never personally been to North Little Rock but I've traveled there on Google, and it looks like it gets pretty hilly pretty fast as you go north from I40. Pinnacle Mountain looks interesting, and even though it's pretty much right in the middle of a city (I hate cities, pretty much), I have always wanted to hike up there and see the view from the top.

From Little Rock (which is pretty much centrally located in Arkansas) west to Oklahoma and north to Missouri, it's all good....there is beauty to be found everywhere in that NW "corner" of Arkansas.

Of course, a little further south of I40, the Hot Springs area has its beauty also. Benton is a pretty area also, and seems to be a clean little town. If I had to work in LR, I would seriously consider living around Benton and commuting.

Another positive I think LR has is its easy access to Tennessee....it appears to me, just looking at a map, that it would be fairly easy and not a long, long trip to the Smoky Mountains. Not positive of that, though.

As for the crime....I've seen some say on here that it's mostly confined to certain parts of town and you just have to avoid those parts? The closest city to where I live has a pretty high crime index also, according to City Data (755), not far from Little Rock's 824, but in the areas where I go I feel safe enough. I've seen people on CD complaining about the crime rate in that city, saying, "Don't go to the mall by yourself at night!!", but I just got back from the mall last night and I've been there hundreds of times in my life, and never had any trouble.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 PM

This is the third time I have lived in LR, and this time they will "plant" me here. Crime can happen any where, but as posted here many times, there are pockets I know to stay out of, especially at night. So, if any readers are thinking about moving here, don't let the media reports scare you off. Come on, I think you will be pleased with what you find and experience . Oh, b-t-w, the Chamber of Commerce did not pay me to write this Post .

Old 07-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
This is the third time I have lived in LR, and this time they will "plant" me here. Crime can happen any where, but as posted here many times, there are pockets I know to stay out of, especially at night. So, if any readers are thinking about moving here, don't let the media reports scare you off. Come on, I think you will be pleased with what you find and experience . Oh, b-t-w, the Chamber of Commerce did not pay me to write this Post .
I have to smile cause I am always saying something similar when I write about NWA. No, I am not being paid to write this or no, I do not work for the Chamber of Commerce. I am glad you are settled and happy.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to smile cause I am always saying something similar when I write about NWA. No, I am not being paid to write this or no, I do not work for the Chamber of Commerce. I am glad you are settled and happy.
It isn't that I'm "settled and happy", it's the fact my clock is running down .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or