Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times

Advertisements

Like you, we left Texas because I couldn't stand the heat. Been in NM for 6 years and even though I enjoy the cooler summers, that's about all I can say I enjoy. For one thing, they don't know bbq here at all.
I used to live in Tn. and thought about going back as I like the area but been there, done that. I want a new state and by looking at some of the pictures I saw posted, what beauty. I love the creeks and rivers. None of that in NM. I haven't fished in years and I want to get back to it.

The bbq thing reminds me of a story. A few years ago, we participated in the Golden Aspen bike rally held yearly in Ruidoso, NM. They have a place here called the Flying J which is a place that serves supper every evening during the summers and has entertainment after supper, what they call cowboy music, a cross between bluegrass and old country. Anyway, most of the rally people went one night and they were serving bbq sandwiches. I'll never forget, this guy that was from Ark., makes the remark, 'where's the slaw on this' and I was thinking, okay this guy must be from around Mo. I asked and Ark. it was. I'll never forget that. I miss the food, the farmers market type fruits and veggies, the music.
I'm assuming Ark. has fresh veggies I can pick up. I like my Guinness beer too every once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Like you, we left Texas because I couldn't stand the heat. Been in NM for 6 years and even though I enjoy the cooler summers, that's about all I can say I enjoy. For one thing, they don't know bbq here at all.
I used to live in Tn. and thought about going back as I like the area but been there, done that. I want a new state and by looking at some of the pictures I saw posted, what beauty. I love the creeks and rivers. None of that in NM. I haven't fished in years and I want to get back to it.

The bbq thing reminds me of a story. A few years ago, we participated in the Golden Aspen bike rally held yearly in Ruidoso, NM. They have a place here called the Flying J which is a place that serves supper every evening during the summers and has entertainment after supper, what they call cowboy music, a cross between bluegrass and old country. Anyway, most of the rally people went one night and they were serving bbq sandwiches. I'll never forget, this guy that was from Ark., makes the remark, 'where's the slaw on this' and I was thinking, okay this guy must be from around Mo. I asked and Ark. it was. I'll never forget that. I miss the food, the farmers market type fruits and veggies, the music.
I'm assuming Ark. has fresh veggies I can pick up. I like my Guinness beer too every once in a while.
We have Guinness here and yes, we have great farmers markets, from about April until late Oct. I think there are probably some good ones around Little Rock and one of the highest rated ones in the country is here in Fayetteville. We are going to the one in Pea Ridge Sunday afternoon. I still need to do a little more canning so thought I would check out the price of pickling cukes.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:43 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,382,198 times
Quote:
I didn't even realize there was a base in LR. I remember when my late husband and I lived in Poplar Bluff, Mo. (Southeast) and we traveled to a base in the N. Arkansas part but I can't remember the town now. The commissary was small but every so often, just for the little trip, we would go and shop for groceries.
If you know the town I'm talking about, please post it.

I like the best of both worlds, city and country, being close to both. My current husband and I are both on Tricare, in our mid 50's. I love the weather in NM but have come to realize that it's not just the weather that's important anymore. Ark. is humid I know.
When I go to Mo. next month, after I'm finished doing what I'm doing, visiting, etc., I'm thinking about renting a car for a couple of days and driving to Ark. just to check it out some. Sometime later in the future, both hub and I can come and check it out together. Still trying talking him into moving. LOL

I really appreciate all the help and advice. Thanks.
Base in N. AR - If that was several years ago it would have been Blytheville AFB in northeast AR. It was a small B-52 base and has been closed for several years.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I agree with all the above suggestions. I too am retired military living in Little Rock, and the Little Rock Air Force Base is just a few miles north in case you choose to use it's facilities. They have a great commissary, Base Exchange, and other services, but we choose to not use them because we live in west L.R. and don't think it is worth the drive to the base. If you are old enough to qualify for Tricare-for-Life, all medical doctors and facilities we have used accepts it, but a few will not accept Tricare (the one before you qualify for TFL), however, I have been told some of the doctors have stopped accepting new Medicare patients, which, of course, means they will not accept Medicare/TFL.

This is the third time we have lived in L.R. and I guess this time we are here to stay. L.R., being in the center of the state is close enough to the rest of the state for a good day trip or a nice weekend. Come on down. I think you will like it . If you have any specific, personal, questions, send me a Direct Message and I'll help any way I can.
Ooops, I forgot about the medical facility at LRAFB . They have a small hospital and all associated clinics. They have a good walk-in pharmacy but the wait can be quite long. With all the deployments we have had the past few years they were so busy retirees were on the bottom of the list for appointments.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM

389 posts, read 1,219,187 times
Check out highways 7, 23 and 71, 8, then over to Hot Springs. I believe you will be pleased with what you see. I540 is not bad either north of Fort Smith.

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Old 08-06-2013, 04:00 PM

Wish I knew how to can. Sounds fun. I know my grandma used to do it.

Too bad the little base in Blytheville shut down. It was fun going to.

Is the water okay? Here, it cost 52 bucks a month just to have water and if one uses over a certain amount, the price goes up. Pricey to live in NM and it's not worth it anymore.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:38 PM

490 posts, read 1,266,584 times
Quote:
Like you, we left Texas because I couldn't stand the heat.
Just in case, it gets hot in Arkansas also. But not quite like Texas.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 PM

oh I know. Texas was a bit too much heat.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
oh I know. Texas was a bit too much heat.
As someone who lived 13 years in Dallas and 5 plus years here, there is no comparison, especially if you check North AR. Other parts do get warmer and have more humidity. It is rare here for our nights to be much above 70 degrees, compared to 80 in DFW area. Our days can hit 100 sometimes, but usually the hottest you will see is around mid 90s, not 100 plus like Dallas and the heat pretty much is confined to mid June to mid Sept, not May to Oct. This year has been an exception. We have only had about 10 or 15 days hotter than the very low 90s, but not all summers are this nice.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Wish I knew how to can. Sounds fun. I know my grandma used to do it.

Too bad the little base in Blytheville shut down. It was fun going to.

Is the water okay? Here, it cost 52 bucks a month just to have water and if one uses over a certain amount, the price goes up. Pricey to live in NM and it's not worth it anymore.
Water - We live in a retirement community and have no water bill, but Daughter lives down the street from here so I called her. She said her bill runs between $60 & $70 per month but that includes water, sewer, trash pick up, and LOTS of watering the lawn and vast flower beds. Her Mother is Daughter's "landscape architect" and is very liberal with Daughter's water . And the quality of the LR water has been recognized far and wide. I know that wasn't part of your question but thought I'd throw that in for a bonus .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas