Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Water - We live in a retirement community and have no water bill, but Daughter lives down the street from here so I called her. She said her bill runs between $60 & $70 per month but that includes water, sewer, trash pick up, and LOTS of watering the lawn and vast flower beds. Her Mother is Daughter's "landscape architect" and is very liberal with Daughter's water . And the quality of the LR water has been recognized far and wide. I know that wasn't part of your question but thought I'd throw that in for a bonus .

I think ours runs a little more this time or the year, but it too, includes trash pick up. We are on septic tanks, those in the city, on sewers pay an extra $20 a month for the sewers. We did use more water this past month, even with the rain we had a couple of pretty dry weeks and I had to take care of the veggies. I think the water part, hubby said, was about $59.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 07:48 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Looking at the highways MissouriMule.

My MIL lives up in Albq. NM and has a bunch of plants and garden area. She spends a ton of money this time of year on water but most people in this part of NM don't water grass as we don't have that much of it.

Are the winters pretty much like Mo. winters? In other words, Mo. sometimes gets icy in areas and stays for days, causing loss of electricity.

I'm enjoying the joke thread too.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post

My MIL lives up in Albq. NM and has a bunch of plants and garden area. She spends a ton of money this time of year on water but most people in this part of NM don't water grass as we don't have that much of it.

Are the winters pretty much like Mo. winters? In other words, Mo. sometimes gets icy in areas and stays for days, causing loss of electricity.

We have been here a little over 5 years and have only had one, really bad ice storm. It was our first year, luckily we didn't lose power for a minute, but our granddaughter lost it for a couple of days. They were about to head to our place when it came back on. It does happen, anything can happen, but not too often. On rare occasions there will be enough snow to shut us in for a few days.
As for watering grass, I think most of us just let it be during the summers, but we do water plants, flowers and our garden, if we have one.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:43 AM

I appreciate your replies everyone.

I'm checking out houses in LR, Sherwood and Fayetteville at this moment. I picked Sherwood just to pick it. Looks close to LR but out of the city. Fayetteville looks like a nice little town with the forest. I just gotta wait and see.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your replies everyone.

I'm checking out houses in LR, Sherwood and Fayetteville at this moment. I picked Sherwood just to pick it. Looks close to LR but out of the city. Fayetteville looks like a nice little town with the forest. I just gotta wait and see.
Fayetteville and the surrounding towns are, what I refer to as semi rural, Fayetteville not quite so much. It is a wonderful town and yes, with forests, greenery, a wonderful farmers market, lots of neat restaurants and like it or not, lots of college kids, everywhere.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:34 PM

389 posts, read 1,219,187 times
Quote:

We lived in Springfield, Missouri for 26 years. The last year we lived there was 2001 but left in April. The preceding winter was the last straw. We had two feet of snow and I was having to get up on a stepladder to chip and hammer out the ice that formed as the snow melted off the roof. It was about -10 degrees. I'm too old for that nonsense.

We pulled up roots and moved to East Texas. Loved it for the first few years and probably would still be living there if not for the 2011 drought that seemed to go on forever with the wildfires, massive tree die-off and all around miserable conditions. I remember going into Dallas during August and the outside temperature was 118 degrees and it was 160 degrees on the pavement. And I dumped nearly a million gallons of water on our lawn and trees to keep them going. I still lost a number of very old mature trees although I had about 600 feet of hoses watering them 24 hours a day. My limit had been reached and we sold our house and moved to Hot Springs where we live today. But it is also dry at times but not to the extent it was in Texas. And we have the lakes and we are not likely to run out of water. I think Texas really could in the not too distant future as its population is expected to grow to 50 million people by 2050. I hate to admit it but in Texas we welcomed the hurricanes to give us water. We were on the "clean" side of the hurricanes and seldom had any significant problems being 200 miles from the Gulf.

When we came up here we saw the greenery and mountains and as I told my wife, I thought I had "fallen into Heaven." It was such a relief. But last year was also tough but nothing like Texas endured.

In Missouri, Springfield in particular, there seems to be the I44 corridor where the periodic ice storms would come along and just cause total havoc. And the power outages, what joy. Snow is one thing, ice is quite another. One can get around in a 4x4 in snow. On ice everyone is at risk.

I really do like this part of Arkansas and the mountains and lakes are quite remarkable. I often comment to my wife and others that no one seems to know about Arkansas. Some of the drives we go on are truly enjoyable and the traffic is very light. Even in Little Rock, the traffic problems pale in comparison to most cities. I'll be going through there tomorrow on my way to Conway and returning. One would ordinarily get off there to get on U.S. 65 to go north to Harrison and eventually into Springfield. Not a bad drive but I've seen better. The drive on I540 north of Fort Smith is stunning. I haven't been on it lately but it seemed one can see "forever" into the valleys and mountains.

The thing is that I know we will not be moving again. We have our ideal home and everything is in place. I can't imagine where we could possibly go that would offer more -- honestly.

Just take a little time and check out those roads and see if you don't agree. No need to get in a big hurry. Take in the scenery, check out the local eateries, and enjoy the hospitality. I really haven't met anyone I would call unfriendly since we moved here. That's an added plus.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 PM

Hard to make up my mind completely now anyway but it's been fun checking out the places online. I don't see anyone talking about the southern part of Ark. past LR. or even up in the NE area where Jonesboro is.
I'm thinking that NW, LR and Hot Springs along with the surrounding areas of these places to be the best places and being in S Ark. is not the thing to do.

I was living in an isolated mountainous area that was nice in the summers but snow and ice in the winters. A lot of times, we were without power. I don't mind for a day but like MissouriMule says, getting too old for that to go out and scrape ice and all that jazz. No such thing as perfect weather though.

One thing for sure I miss in that part of the country, there are a lot of things but, the fruits and veggies. I just got off the phone with my mom (lives in Mo) and she was talking about the stuff she was eating and my mouth was watering. Home grown tomatoes, peaches, strawberries. I love Farmers Markets and I'm really into supporting the local farmers. We have a market here that just opened and will be open for only a month or so because we don't get the stuff here like Ark and Mo get and I miss that. Other things I miss, other than bbq that I mentioned in my other post is fried catfish and hushpuppies or fresh seafood period. They had some kind of baked catfish here one time. NASTY!

Is this an okay place to ask about politics in the area? I'm guessing mostly conservative, guns and Ted Nugent type folks?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,382,198 times
missourimule - I'm happy you settled in AR . Welcome . As you have learned, we are one of the best kept secrets in the USofA. I also appreciate the positive way you write about AR, so now you can join our "We know where to live club" . I never lived in HS but worked there off-and-of for several years and still visit friends there. If circumstances permitted I would have been happy to live there.

songinthewind - south and southwest AR is mostly flat with mostly pine plantations. East and southeast AR is mostly flat farm land. Politics - We were a Democratic state except north west until the "Obama backlash" hit, then there were many Republicans elected. But even with that, there are many independent SOBs in AR and I'm happy to be counted in that group ! Oh, and we now have a legal concealed carry gun law; but I'll not step on that snake!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:57 PM

389 posts, read 1,219,187 times
Quote:
Hard to make up my mind completely now anyway but it's been fun checking out the places online. I don't see anyone talking about the southern part of Ark. past LR. or even up in the NE area where Jonesboro is.
I'm thinking that NW, LR and Hot Springs along with the surrounding areas of these places to be the best places and being in S Ark. is not the thing to do.

I was living in an isolated mountainous area that was nice in the summers but snow and ice in the winters. A lot of times, we were without power. I don't mind for a day but like MissouriMule says, getting too old for that to go out and scrape ice and all that jazz. No such thing as perfect weather though.

One thing for sure I miss in that part of the country, there are a lot of things but, the fruits and veggies. I just got off the phone with my mom (lives in Mo) and she was talking about the stuff she was eating and my mouth was watering. Home grown tomatoes, peaches, strawberries. I love Farmers Markets and I'm really into supporting the local farmers. We have a market here that just opened and will be open for only a month or so because we don't get the stuff here like Ark and Mo get and I miss that. Other things I miss, other than bbq that I mentioned in my other post is fried catfish and hushpuppies or fresh seafood period. They had some kind of baked catfish here one time. NASTY!

Is this an okay place to ask about politics in the area? I'm guessing mostly conservative, guns and Ted Nugent type folks?
Well, I haven't heard anyone talk about Ted Nugent lately. In fact, the subject of guns never comes up. We are just a laid back type of folks who believe in minding our own business. Generally conservative but we have a Democratic governor and Democratic senator who may very be reelected next year.

As I haven't seen all of Arkansas I can't tell you specifically but the western part around the Ouachita Mountains is pretty much all pretty. There is much I need to get to see before I clock out. I may ruffle a few feathers here but the one place I'm not exactly wild about is Pine Bluff. Arkansas flattens out on the eastern side per my recollection.

Ouachita Mountains - Encyclopedia of Arkansas

Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:

Northeast Arkansas is growing at a pretty good rate, but the eastern half (diagonal from NE to SW) is flat land that most outsiders don't go gaga over. Not a horrible area compared to the rest of the state, but it isn't as trendy. It is a good place to go for catfish and BBQ though.
In Little Rock, check out Maumelle and other places in the western parts to be closer to the hills.

From my personal experience, Arkansas appeared to be noticeably worse with the ice storms than Missouri, who seemed to get mainly snow. Where we lived in MO, they at least had salt trucks. I don't recall ever seeing anything used in Arkansas to melt frozen stuff. Just sand for traction. And yes, occasionally it sticks around for a week or so. Expect the particularly bad ice storms every 2-5 years. I know it's probably not a deal-breaker, but it wouldn't be a good idea to make a place like Arkansas into something it isn't.

As for politics, it's far more diverse than people might think. Just a short time ago, democrats controlled the state by a very wide margin. It took 150 years, but it looks like things are balancing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas