Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times

Advertisements

Go down toward Wrightsville...there's a lot of country property down there, and the offenders at Wrightsville aren't quite as...well, whatever the word is I'm looking for...hostile. I doubt seriously your husband wants to work at Cummins or Varner...I think there's another unit up close to or in Calico Rock, sort of north central but a little eastern. I would think it would be fairly reasonably priced to live there as well.

I've never lived in Pine Bluff, just passed through when going to Mississippi all the time...but it appears to be pretty desolate. The paper mill smells awful - I guess it smells like money if you live there, but to most people it's just hideous. I don't even know of any major employers around there other than the arsenal and the mill. I really don't think after the beauty of Montana that Pine Bluff is going to want to be where you want to land...you're getting into delta-like land there and it's pretty flat. Lots of people don't like the delta, my spouse being one of them (I love it!). You probably need to follow the link above and see what job opportunities are where...and anything in the southeastern quarter is going to be flat as a board. Cummins sits right out in the middle of farmland and you can see for miles, and so does Varner. You need to work on this one some more, but I don't think Pine Bluff will be your place in the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,745 times
I grew up in White Hall. It's a nice little community but WAY too close to Pine Bluff in my opinion. I have 2 daughters and there's no way I'd choose to live there because of it's proximity to "The Bluff" as we call it. The schools are good in White Hall but trust me, no matter how much $ you can save, you don't want to live in or very close to Pine Bluff. Sheridan or Redfield would be nice, or depending on which facility your hubby gets hired on at, most of the small towns that they are located in are ok. Cost of living would depend on which town you choose, but you can still get more for your money in Southeast Arkansas than most other places around. Good luck with your move.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:21 AM

369 posts, read 1,301,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnisledLady View Post
Would appreciate comments on the Pine Bluff area as that is where my husband and I are considering relocating too. How is the fishing and hunting in that area? easy to access or not? How is the crime in that area? safe or not? What is life like in Pine Bluff?
Hunting and fishing is great anywhere in Arkansas, but I'll be honest with you... Even though I am originally from the Delta, I would not recommend anyone to move there especially to Pine Bluff aka Stank City aka Crime Bluff. Jonesboro is an exception when it comes to the Delta region which is why it is called "the oasis of the Delta", but Pine Bluff is currently listed as the most dangerous small city in America if that tells you anything. Pine Bluff does have easy access to the Little Rock Metro via I-530, but that definetly wouldn't motivate me enough to want to move there. If you are really just stuck on moving to a small city in the Delta, I would recommend Jonesboro.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,723 times
I would recommend Star City, a small town about 25 miles south of Pine Bluff. It is around 2500 people, decent community, within 25 miles of two prisons, Cummins and Varner. The schools are okay and it has a cheap cost of living. Monticello is also a nice small town, around 10, 000 people, it is just further from the prisons. It is 20 miles south of Star City. Much nicer than Star City. I don't know if you are going to like Arkansas over Montana??? I would not live in Pine Bluff, it is as bad as they say it is. You may want to try Little Rock, more jobs and still decent cost of living.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:37 PM

23 posts, read 117,586 times
Thanks for all the great replies to my request. We are hoping to relocate to Arkansas within 3 to 6 months. I am sure that we will love living in Arkansas from all that we have seen on the state. We are really unhappy with Montana. This move was the worse thing we have done. This state offers nothing for us. Most of it is toxic due to the mining that has gone on here. The fishing here is terrible and unless you are wealthy, you can forget about any quality hunting. The area we live in is very depressed, crime ridden and full of drugs. Not what we want in our lives. We are very much into the rual life, nothing gives us more joy then fishing and hunting and raising critters in our yard :-} and veggies in our garden. We have not been able to do any of that here in Montana. Please keep the suggestions coming! As stated before a quiet rural life within less than an hours commute distance of a men's correctional facility for my husbands work, with a low cost of living and housing due to lower income is what we are lookiing for. All we work for, talk about and dream of now is getting financially able to make the move and leave Montana behind us like the bad memory it is!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:06 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
I don't know a thing about the prison they built up at Calico Rock, but I'm thinking that is a really good bet for you - it's close to Norfork and Bull Shoals and Horseshoe Bend..Bull Shoals is just beautiful, but that's just gorgeous countryside up there and the cost of living is low. I may be way off base and everyone in Calico Rock may work there, but it sure does sound like that would be a good place for you.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM

884 posts, read 1,033,328 times
Pine Bluff has the nation's highest murder rate...I think that speaks volumes.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,660 times
So true sadly

Old 01-11-2008, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 8,646 times
Pine Bluff does not have a monopoly on crime and murder rate. The murders that do occur there have the same commonality as all murders across the nation and that is that the murderer and the victim knew each other...and mostly the murders are drug related. Sorry but Little Rock lead the state in murders per 100,000. Again most of the murders are drug related and the victims knew the murderer. Little Rock also has carjacking problem. So if you are driving in Little Rock be on alert for carjackers.
Little Rock also has high bank robbery rate,so if you are doing bank business inside the bank beware of bank robbers.

The comments on Pine Bluff about crime are overtly exaggerated. If Pine Bluff were that vicious as some posters say on here. Then Pine Bluff would be on national news,CNN,ABC. Pine Bluff ain’t Baghdad.

Ok the smell from the paper mills,after a rainy day,windy you can smell the paper mills make the paper that dollar bills and checks are made of. Anyway if you live in South Pine Bluff around the Sulphur Springs and Watson Chapel area you can’t smell it.

Granted Pine Bluff is not a flashy city like Little Rock,there are not that many social and entertainment events that are news worthy like Little Rock. Little Rock is the state capitol naturally Little Rock will have a lot more entertainment in the city to offset it’s high murders that occur in the city.

Every city has room for improvement though and that’s where city leaders need to improve Pine Bluff and that’s it’s nightlife venues. Pine Bluff is competing with Little Rock’s Presendital Entertainment District,I must admit for Little Rock that is a big plus.

Little Rock has a lot of crime for a city per 100,000. The public outside of Little Rock hear a BALANCE of events and situations out of Little Rock. What it all boils down to the public only hears the negatives about Pine Bluff ,granted Pine Bluff has some positives but the public don’t care to hear about the the nice lakes(Lake Pine Bluff,Lake Langhoffer,Noble Lake) the largest public 18 hole golf course in the state. Lakeside Ampitheatre in Regional Park that has outdoor live concerts. Also Lake Langhoffer is large enough where speed boat races are held, water sking,Jet sking.

It has the BEST FISH RESTAURANT IN THE STATE. ARNOLDS CATFISH. It also has BEST DONUTS IN THE STATE: IRISH MAID DONUTS..trust ME they are WAY better than Krispy Kreme.

Every city has it’s negatives and positives and unfortunately for Pine Bluff no one here about it’s positive side.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 PM

564 posts, read 2,340,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rock View Post
[color=black]

Every city has it’s negatives and positives and unfortunately for Pine Bluff no one here about it’s positive side.
And whhyyyyy do you think that is?

We're not all just imagining things, sparky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas