U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,952,506 times

Advertisements

There are dumb, ignorant and stupid people everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM

75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Atwoods is great, too. My daughter loves stopping by the one in Clarksville in the spring to look at the baby chickens and ducks!
We have a couple of Atwood's in our area as well.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:42 PM

13,374 posts, read 18,839,199 times
To me, Arkansas is like if you took pieces of Missouri, Texas and Mississippi and threw them all together in a blender.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
To me, Arkansas is like if you took pieces of Missouri, Texas and Mississippi and threw them all together in a blender.
love it; what a perfect description of my adopted home state.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:15 PM

112 posts, read 268,563 times
I haven't been here very long but I've met at least a few who think Arkansas is on the moon, or still waiting to come into the 20th century, one person asked me if that was on the Colorado border, another asked if it was on the Great Lakes. Yes, one or two people have asked me really crazy things, such as does Arkansas have access to premium television.

But a lot of people are just genuinely curious and are happy to know. I think it's mostly because they're just trying to compare and share, because Southern California can be such a big playground, people here are curious how you do it if you're in a smaller state that they may not be familiar with.

But then there are the people who ask you if you've ever seen MTV...

At least that's been my experience so far. I like it here.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:53 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,789,805 times
Just tell em it's so nice to finally have one them thar autoooomobiles and not have saddle sores.... And it's really nice how them thar supermarkets have milk in a nice little plastic jug and eggs that ain't got chicken poop on em.....

Old 09-01-2013, 12:59 PM

all this reminds me of living in NM. We had returned to Dallas for a few days and I decided to get my hair cut at one of those, no appointment needed places The young and very naïve (I am being nice) that did my hair asked me where I lived. When I told her NM she wanted to know how much time I spent on those beautiful beaches. Well, I never knew the Rio Grande, that was almost dry had beaches, so I mentioned to her we really didn't have beaches. To my amazement she asked me where Cancun was if it wasn't in Mexico? I politely explained to her Mexico and NM were two different places and she asked me, when that happened? At least most people do realize AR is in the good ole USA.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:04 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,911,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just thought I would pass this along cause I found it pretty funny and yet, maybe sad in a way. Our daughter and her husband attended son in laws, 40th high school reunion in So CA last weekend. Of cours they had a chance to visit with many old friends, even a couple of guy who were in their wedding but who they had lost contact with. Anyway, one of the guys was there with his CA wife. The gal, being very much CA was amazed to think someone would be raised in CA and choose to live in AR. Finally she asked my daughter, what in the world did they do for entertainment and was there really places to shop? Our daughter, nicely let the gal know, there were top restaurants, one of the top Art museums in the country, if not the world and major Dept stores. The gal, just stared at our daughter and then said, Oh my God, you mean AR is just like a real state? I will just add this little bit, and I am a proud mom, I am guessing daughter and sil are much more successful than this gal and her husband. Of course, me and my mouth would probably told the gal: oh we raise all our own food and I use old gunny sacks to make our cloths. We don't have time to worry about entertainment cause we get up with the roosters.

My husband has had similar experiences. My husband is an Electrician and travels all over the United States doing electrical and data/fiber optics work (for some of the biggest companies in the US). Anyway he has been asked on more than one occasion with all seriousness about having shoes (people seriously need to get out more), because of the ridiculousness of the question he messes around with them and tells them that the state issues them at the Arkansas boarders lol...they actually think he is serious. Anyway so he then of course has to tell them that of course we have shoes and then goes on to tell him that some of the biggest companies in the world have their home offices in Arkansas etc. Again pretty ridiculous.

Also recently my Dad's long lost sisters kids (who are in their 40's) came to NWA (from Las Vegas)for a little family meeting/get together and my new found cousin told me that she was expecting something like Mayberry (which is better than thinking we don't have shoes). Anyway on a positive note my new found cousins liked it so much here that they are already looking into possibly moving here.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 AM

4,817 posts, read 7,103,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
my new found cousin told me that she was expecting something like Mayberry (which is better than thinking we don't have shoes).
Many of the small towns are still like Mayberry. Love it!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,595,746 times
I think that story says a lot more about the woman than it does about Arkansas.

I used to travel to California frequently for work. I remember telling a woman I was working with that I was from Austin, Texas (where I lived at the time).

Her response: "Is that east of the 5?"

It was a joke on her part, and a jab at how west-coast and California-centric many in California can be. And her joke was probably based on her own experience with people like the woman in the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas