U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 12:22 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,519,092 times

Advertisements

To clear up a point When I wrote "undeveloped" property I had in mind property without utilities on the property. I think within five miles of Malvern you will find all utilities along the county roads that can be run onto the property. I'm talking abut electric, gas, water and phone. Of course, out there, you would have to have a septic tank system for sewer.

And as others have posted; give us more details and we can give more specific help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 01:24 PM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
To clear up a point When I wrote "undeveloped" property I had in mind property without utilities on the property. I think within five miles of Malvern you will find all utilities along the county roads that can be run onto the property. I'm talking abut electric, gas, water and phone. Of course, out there, you would have to have a septic tank system for sewer.

And as others have posted; give us more details and we can give more specific help.
Thanks for clearing that up. I wouldn't want someone to think, they could buy a couple of acres, which I am guessing is what he is looking for and just pay $2,500 per acre, have it all ready to build on and live like a happy camper the rest of his life. I also agree, he needs to provide a lot more information for any of us to give him an intelligent answer and to narrow down his choices.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:45 PM

2,303 posts, read 1,887,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I guess that's the best question - how much do you intend to spend on a few acres? Or are you even talking acreage? Your post just says "plot" of land. I think there's probably a lot for $2500 acre - but it will be undeveloped (like TOTALLY) and probably in the delta, NE, or SW Arkansas. But topography has so much to do with it - you may love the delta or duck blinds, and good for you if you do - it would certainly broaden your horizons.

Gravette is a nice little town and close to everything (relatively speaking), but you aren't going to find land that cheap there. NWA is booming all over. I know you won't find much, I've looked. Actually, you can find it, but again - it is undeveloped and sometimes you have to buy larger tracts - 25 acres or more - to get much of a break. Gravette is pretty flat, too - and the wind blows ALL THE TIME.

Wow - just too many variables - the ball is in your court, OP :-)

All that being said, there are lots of tiny towns out from small towns that might fit if you don't mind commuting for groceries....but then again, the HS internet probably drops off the map at that point.
I am pretty open to things. I have only been to AR a few times and liked it. I am thinking 10 acres max of productive land (veggies, some cereal crops, hay for some goats, space for chickens) some additional wetlands for harvesting some trees for heat and wetlands for hunting would be cool.

I want to move somewhere do my thing yet feel part of the community.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,395,957 times
^Barling probably won't work then.

I was thinking like a 20X20 ft. plot in your backyard. My grandpa used to raise chickens in a small backyard in the middle of Tulsa. I think he had a few geese too.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:30 AM

2,857 posts, read 3,528,354 times
"I am pretty open to things. I have only been to AR a few times and liked it. I am thinking 10 acres max of productive land (veggies, some cereal crops, hay for some goats, space for chickens) some additional wetlands for harvesting some trees for heat and wetlands for hunting would be cool.

I want to move somewhere do my thing yet feel part of the community".

Too many things in the above statement tell me you've not done your homework...not raggin' on you, just callin' it like I see it. Nothing wrong with a dream, you just need to be prepared, otherwise those Arkies will fleece you quicker than a fox getting outta your henhouse with a mouthful of chicken.....I've seen 'em both happen. Remember, some of those Arkies have seen hard times that most of us have only read about, you don't get through those circumstances, without learning how to survive. Good luck becoming part of a small community....I never saw it happen where I was without a family history of some sort to grease your way in....but maybe times have changed. Back then, to say that Ozark Mtn folks were clannish, would have been an understatement.

Goats are browsers, they prefer a nibble here, a nibble there, they will eat hay out of desperation. Goats also means fence to keep them from climbing on everything in sight, even your car.

Hay means haying equipment will be required, tractor, mower, rake, baler, and a barn for storage.

Cereal grains same-same.

Wetlands....now you're talking swarms of skeeters in the delta land, and trees for a wood stove grow in upland forests too.

Productive land....is how you make your land productive. Most of it will produce something, it's what you do with it that makes it productive. Even Searcy County, where the local flint rock makes up at least 50% of the soil composition, farmers with nothing more than mules/horses and a plow used to raise some of the finest strawberries in AR....but I suppose those times are gone now.

Keep reading/learning, but don't go away, I'm curious as to how/where you end up.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 AM

1. Get some cars for cheap and part them out for more money
2. Make a lot of wine
3. Buy a lot of copper
4. ???
5. Profit

Old 09-08-2013, 06:48 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,519,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I am pretty open to things. I have only been to AR a few times and liked it. I am thinking 10 acres max of productive land (veggies, some cereal crops, hay for some goats, space for chickens) some additional wetlands for harvesting some trees for heat and wetlands for hunting would be cool.

I want to move somewhere do my thing yet feel part of the community.
gemstone has some very good points. I will add to that from personal experience. 10 acres - you can do very little of what you would like to do. We had 40 acres in Malvern and hunting on the property was very dangerous because it would have been possible to hit houses in almost all directions. You will not have enough land remaining for a hay crop. The trees for heat (even if they are the right type) will all be gone in a very few years.

Veggies - You will not need lots of land for those. Wife was a very productive gardener when we lived in Malvern and liked to grow "normal" veggies as well as unusual/exotic types. We now live in a retirement community with no space for a garden, but Wife would not give up her hobby so she has a patio garden with her vegies in big pots. She grows enough to keep the whole community supplied. See Attachment for five varieties of her tomatoes.

It appears we all are trying to "shoot you down", but that is not our intent. We are just trying to introduce you to the real world. But hang in there because if you want it bad enough you can make it happen. Please keep us updated because each and every one of us care and hope for your success.
Attached Thumbnails
What's a good small town in Arkansas for me?-img_0354.jpg  

Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
gemstone has some very good points. I will add to that from personal experience. 10 acres - you can do very little of what you would like to do. We had 40 acres in Malvern and hunting on the property was very dangerous because it would have been possible to hit houses in almost all directions. You will not have enough land remaining for a hay crop. The trees for heat (even if they are the right type) will all be gone in a very few years.
Couldn't you bow hunt from a tree stand? Thats how they are doing the urban hunt in Fort Smith (mostly out on Chaffee Crossing) although it will be bad if some jogger gets an arrow through the head.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 PM

2,303 posts, read 1,887,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I am pretty open to things. I have only been to AR a few times and liked it. I am thinking 10 acres max of productive land (veggies, some cereal crops, hay for some goats, space for chickens) some additional wetlands for harvesting some trees for heat and wetlands for hunting would be cool.

I want to move somewhere do my thing yet feel part of the community".

Too many things in the above statement tell me you've not done your homework...not raggin' on you, just callin' it like I see it. Nothing wrong with a dream, you just need to be prepared, otherwise those Arkies will fleece you quicker than a fox getting outta your henhouse with a mouthful of chicken.....I've seen 'em both happen. Remember, some of those Arkies have seen hard times that most of us have only read about, you don't get through those circumstances, without learning how to survive. Good luck becoming part of a small community....I never saw it happen where I was without a family history of some sort to grease your way in....but maybe times have changed. Back then, to say that Ozark Mtn folks were clannish, would have been an understatement.

Goats are browsers, they prefer a nibble here, a nibble there, they will eat hay out of desperation. Goats also means fence to keep them from climbing on everything in sight, even your car.

Hay means haying equipment will be required, tractor, mower, rake, baler, and a barn for storage.

Cereal grains same-same.

Wetlands....now you're talking swarms of skeeters in the delta land, and trees for a wood stove grow in upland forests too.

Productive land....is how you make your land productive. Most of it will produce something, it's what you do with it that makes it productive. Even Searcy County, where the local flint rock makes up at least 50% of the soil composition, farmers with nothing more than mules/horses and a plow used to raise some of the finest strawberries in AR....but I suppose those times are gone now.

Keep reading/learning, but don't go away, I'm curious as to how/where you end up.

Regards
Gemstone1
Interesting. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 AM

164 posts, read 264,563 times
Brinkley, Arkansas always seemed like a nice little town, on Interstate 40, about halfway between Memphis and Little Rock, and a short cut to Tunica. Seems to be very well kept and the people seem to be very nice. The town has a nice relaxed vibe about it. I really don't know much about the town, except I always enjoy being there. If I was looking to move to a small town in Arkansas, Brimkley would definitely be on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas