Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 AM

971 posts, read 1,452,528 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that it is nieve of us to not understand the continual addition of asphalt and concrete is not going to change our climate patterns. IMO

The weather channel reported yesterday Mesa, AZ had an inch of rain in 1/2 hour which resulted in flooding as also reported in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 03:33 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thank goodness we were long gone by 2011. Our daughter and her husband were still in Dallas that year. They moved up here, permanently in 2012. I think you are missing my point though, I am not arguing about what year the temps were what, or if we have a problem: we all know we do, so does much of the country. How about NM? They are always dry, we know, but the past 5 years it has been almost no rain for them, not even a measurable drop or two. CA has had some horrible years as well. Here in AR, so have had some flood conditions off and on. 2008 was one of those. There is nothing any of us can do about it, except, if you believe in prayer, pray. Look at what happened to us up here before this latest drought. Many of us lost our gardens, of course the farmers were really hurt, we had too much rain, too fast.
I understand where you are coming from. The problem wouldn't be so bad if it were not for the high temperatures. We can go for an extended period of time in the winter without measurable rainfall. There just isn't that much evaporation. But in the hot summer months when the temperature is at 100 or above, the water evaporation is unbelievable. And we are at high risk ourselves as the evaporation is not always seen. Suddenly we become dehydrated and can die without knowing how fast it took place. This is also a major health issue; especially among the elderly.

When we retired to east Texas in 2001, there was no dearth of rainfall. I can remember a three day period where we got 18 inches of rain and 66 inches of rain that one year alone. The following years were also blessed with abundant rainfall. But in 2011, in May I believe we had a five inch rainfall. Thought that had portended an end to the persistent dryness. Was I ever wrong? No rain; day after day after day. I spent much of my time looking at the weather channel and the radar to see if rain would be coming in. It seemed promising at times and then just as it seemed to get to our town it would break up and no rain. I dumped a million gallons of water on our trees to keep them going. I gave up on the lawn that was burned to a crisp. I still lost about 25% or more of the very mature trees on our 2 acres we had. It was heartbreaking and I bailed out. Now it seems to have come here as well. That was not in my plans.

Where I live in a POA, the water is provided as part of the monthly dues. During these very hot months, the lawns are watered nearly every day. But on an off day and the lawn starts to brown out or tends to be less vigorous. This is also where we start to lose trees; mature trees that have taken decades to grow. We are seemingly passive to this as though we can't do anything about it. I believe we need to treat the problem head-on and prepare for the worst and hope it doesn't happen. Once that beautiful shade tree starts to decline it is already probably too late. We have no assurance that we won't be looking at temperatures 5-10 degrees higher in the coming years. At that point it becomes an emergency and when emergencies occur we are less efficient and start to lash out at some boogeyman. The fact is as "Pogo" once observed; "we have met the enemy and it is us."

Last edited by rmissourimule; 09-10-2013 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
It seems to me that it is nieve of us to not understand the continual addition of asphalt and concrete is not going to change our climate patterns. IMO

The weather channel reported yesterday Mesa, AZ had an inch of rain in 1/2 hour which resulted in flooding as also reported in Phoenix.
You make a very valid point. And it also compounds by the fact that much of the rainfall is effectively wasted as run-off and not soaked into the soil. I think this is a matter of public policy not addressing the burgeoning highways, parking lots and urban sprawl. This is unacceptable.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Right now they are saying the chance of rain in NWA this week is 30 to 50% each day, after today. Let's see if we get it and how much?

Old 09-15-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Right now they are saying the chance of rain in NWA this week is 30 to 50% each day, after today. Let's see if we get it and how much?
Send some our way. We have had exactly 1/4 inch since August 14. And the chances of rain in the forecasts for this are are very small for the next 10 days. It isn't as hot as it has been which is a blessing but I worry about our trees, shrubs and other long term plants.

0% for today and 10% for following four days. 40% for next Friday. I will believe it when I see it.

I was down near Texarkana last Wednesday. On the sides of the interstate they had several brush fires. On the way out to a nearby town the fire trucks were putting down a brush fire alongside the road. I can often smell the burning brush from somewhere near here although we are in a county wide burn ban.

I absolutely hate droughts. But on balance it is certainly better than the horrible flooding in Colorado. I can't even imagine.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
Send some our way. We have had exactly 1/4 inch since August 14. And the chances of rain in the forecasts for this are are very small for the next 10 days. It isn't as hot as it has been which is a blessing but I worry about our trees, shrubs and other long term plants.

0% for today and 10% for following four days. 40% for next Friday. I will believe it when I see it.

I was down near Texarkana last Wednesday. On the sides of the interstate they had several brush fires. On the way out to a nearby town the fire trucks were putting down a brush fire alongside the road. I can often smell the burning brush from somewhere near here although we are in a county wide burn ban.

I absolutely hate droughts. But on balance it is certainly better than the horrible flooding in Colorado. I can't even imagine.
I think our last rain was about the same as yours. This rain prediction came almost from nowhere, so maybe you will get lucky as well. They had said 20 or 10% today and none the rest of the week, then yesterday it all changed. Right now, there is a lot of thunder. In fact the dogs woke me up because of it. So far no rain...

take it back: there is liquid coming from the sky, I guess that is what you call rain...

Last edited by nmnita; 09-16-2013 at 04:47 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 AM

We are up to 10% and increasing through the week. Fingers and toes crossed.

I can see the rain moving through your area on the moving radar on the weather channel. Looks like it is mostly to the north of you but should be around for a while. Looks like it is coming from Oklahoma and there are some heavy pockets. Nothing shown our way at least through 1 PM.

There is some hope, at least.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
We are up to 10% and increasing through the week. Fingers and toes crossed.

I can see the rain moving through your area on the moving radar on the weather channel. Looks like it is mostly to the north of you but should be around for a while. Looks like it is coming from Oklahoma and there are some heavy pockets. Nothing shown our way at least through 1 PM.

There is some hope, at least.
good luck, it has been raining lightly but pretty steadily since about 6:30 I guess or what ever time I reported it starting. Again, not heavy: this is the good kind of rain. Hope you see some, in the next few days if not today.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:25 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Looks like the dry spell is over in south, and especially southeast AR after yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas