U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:50 PM

41,397 posts, read 25,653,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
So law enforcement can only kill someone, after the suspect killed someone. Good logic.

Did anyone here read the article?

The suspect shot at police officers numerous times.
They used a camera, they used tear gas, they used a "distraction device", which didn't stop him and he continued to shoot at them, what did you want them to do.

Being "deranged" isn't a get out of jail free pass.

I wonder what his motive was.
I suspect that his motive was that he was 107 years old and he wanted to stay in his home. He'd been told earlier by another person living there that he had to move. That's what precipitated his actions. He got the gun out and told the other two people that he wasn't moving. They got scared and called the police.

I think when the police arrived, he was even more scared. Scared of the police. Scared of them forcing him out of his room, his home. Scared that they would lie to him to get him out of the house. Scared, confused, feeling like no one was there for him, no one was standing up for him. From his point of view, he was defending himself. And with that mindset, he couldn't be negotiated with.

The police did try to talk to him. But he was too afraid. Too afraid of what was happening, afraid of what might happen, he couldn't trust them.

And SWAT is trained to act like a military unit, to subdue the enemy. From that perspective, the SWAT team's job was to contain him, disarm him, and take him into custody. That's what they tried to do. He fought back, and died as a result.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:59 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
DC, is that the latest about him being forced to move? I haven't seen the news yet this afternoon.

If that is indeed the case, it's a sad commentary on the state of seniors (and he was VERY senior) in this country - but that's another discussion in another forum.

The whole situation is very tragic. And I'd bet those officers have second-guessed themselves a thousand times by now, you always do even in a righteous shooting. Who knows what might have been? I do feel for everyone involved.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 PM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
DC, is that the latest about him being forced to move? I haven't seen the news yet this afternoon.

If that is indeed the case, it's a sad commentary on the state of seniors (and he was VERY senior) in this country - but that's another discussion in another forum.

The whole situation is very tragic. And I'd bet those officers have second-guessed themselves a thousand times by now, you always do even in a righteous shooting. Who knows what might have been? I do feel for everyone involved.
I see this as a tragedy that didn't need to happen, but I also felt, from the first news story, he probably should have been living in a senior living center. It sounds like he was not capable of handling his own life. Yes, it is a sad time. Actually, this is why, as we age, we need to discuss with our family how to handle a situation when it is apparent we can no longer care for ourselves.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 PM

45 posts, read 87,151 times
Sometimes I think calling the cops is a death sentence.

They don't use common sense anymore, just hit and run and go home.

You are not a person- you are a case number.

Really- "Peace Officer" is a metaphor.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 AM

15,518 posts, read 13,590,127 times
BIg bonuses and promotions for doing the job....what the hell is an old man anyway...this is some of the latests Ive been reading on this. http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/09/sw...-year-old-man/

Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
What in heaven's name are you talking about, dizzybint? I read the article - no one is getting promoted, no one said "what is an old man anyway"...I think you intro'd your own thoughts here, but your post surely sounds like it's "news". Oh, no, no. And no one gets promoted for killing someone. C'mon - get real.

This is sad. If you listened to one of the news channels yesterday, it seems the story is that someone was trying to help him move to an unknown location - or at least he didn't want his daughter to find out where he was. She did, showed up, and the rest is history. Whoever this person is that was helping him, and I didn't catch her relationship, says he had told her that the daughter was abusive to him.

It appears on first flush that the system may have failed this gentleman long before this incident. If indeed someone knew or was told he felt he was being abused and it was reported, the failure lies with social services. However, we don't even know if this was ever reported. Had the police ever taken an abuse report from this gentleman, something tells me that would have shown up in the database and be known at the time of dispatch. Perhaps it was. Again, we were not there, we do not know what really happened.

It is truly a sad situation for everyone concerned, and my thoughts and prayers are with each and every person who was there or sustained a loss in this incident.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 AM

2,002 posts, read 2,867,740 times
Whatever the underlying cause, he had had enough of it and was willing to 'go out' with his boots on, so to speak. Sometimes enough is enough. It's kinda like the mouse giving the cat the third finger just as the cat is pouncing on him. IMO, he was a heck of a man. Even at 107.

"Come and get me, coppers!!!"....from the movie White Heat starring James Cagney.

R.I.P. old man. I'm proud of you.

Last edited by slingshot; 09-10-2013 at 05:13 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM

4,817 posts, read 7,092,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
. Seriously... If you carry on like that and take a bullet as a result, you pretty much had it coming. It's not like it is exceedingly difficult to go through life and manage to avoid being shot at by police.

Thank you.

I've never been shot at by the police. I mind my own business and don't break laws. And I sure don't shoot at the police!

My next-door neighbor and good friend is the police chief in our town....it's ridiculous how many people hate him because one of their relatives got arrested for something they clearly did....usually several times.

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 09-10-2013 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 AM

4,817 posts, read 7,092,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Whatever the underlying cause, he had had enough of it and was willing to 'go out' with his boots on, so to speak. Sometimes enough is enough. It's kinda like the mouse giving the cat the third finger just as the cat is pouncing on him. IMO, he was a heck of a man. Even at 107.

"Come and get me, coppers!!!"....from the movie White Heat starring James Cagney.

R.I.P. old man. I'm proud of you.
Oh, my. Proud of him? What if he had killed some child's dad with his stray bullets? Or a kid riding his bike down the street? Proud of him?

Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM

243 posts, read 501,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Whatever the underlying cause, he had had enough of it and was willing to 'go out' with his boots on..
haha That's what I was thinking, what a way to go out at 107.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas