Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 08:40 PM

1,665 posts, read 973,862 times

Advertisements

Hello again, Arkansas!

We will be going to the Buffalo National River in November. Looked up some info about the place and so far I absolutely love it. Planning on bringing my telescope as well.

We're heading up for the SECOND TIME this year! Looking for towns to relocate to, while enjoying the beauty of The Natural State. Will be checking out the fall colors as well.

Questions:

What are some of the best eats around the area? Not interested in any chains. Maybe local chains. Preferably mom and pop cafes where the locals head to.

Are the locals welcoming? Several years back, we were heading south from Missouri and oh I forgot the place. Stopped for restroom and something to drink. When we walked in, seemed as everyone in the store stopped talking and stared us down. We left quickly. Kinda like a scene in a movie when someone hits the jukebox and that record scratches. (But beautiful area!)

Our travels won't be just to Buffalo, just a day and night thing.

Petit Jean and Devils Den is on itinerary also.

Also on way home, we might go back through Hot Springs and check out the area more.

We're focusing on mainly mountainous and forested areas to relocate. But NWA is in the air, due to jobs. But any information will help.

Hopefully getting closer to call Arkansas our new home!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 03:50 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
What part near the Buffalo river will you be visiting? Ponca/Jasper or Yellville, etc.?

Yes, the people are very welcoming. Many people that live in these areas are from elsewhere originally (as am I) and the area is used to tourists from all over the place vacationing here. The local cafe's are all privately owned, there are no chain places here. You're coming to the ozarks at the most beautiful time of all. The river gets very low and you can walk it in some areas. Some ride horses down the river. You'll have a great time.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:41 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Petit Jean is beautiful, as is the road down to Hot Springs, which includes Scenic Seven through the Ouachita National Forest. Fall color should be great, unless heavy rains bring the leaves down early. Even so, it's pretty country.

Also check out the dig-your-own quartz crystal mines near Hot Springs. The very friendly-staffed Ron Coleman Mine in Jessieville is a favorite for me and many others - check it out online and see what pretty things can be found there. Also in Jessieville is the homestyle cooking Home Plate Café, right next to the local ball park.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:33 PM

383 posts, read 399,783 times
We stayed at Silver Run cabins south of Yellville and loved the place. Also stayed at Petit Jean and enjoyed the stay. The Lodge restaurant is great. I recommend the cabins over the lodge rooms if you can score one.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:59 AM

Thank you all for the information!!!

I don't know if we'll be by Ponca or Yellville. Well we will be, but don't know which town we'll be staying at. Gonna look more online and discuss it with the boss, er, wife. Haha

Will definitely be looking for those eateries and the Crystal Mines. We love doing things like that. We were hoping to strike it rich in the Diamond Crater earlier this year but someone beat us to it... hehehe but had a great time digging and shopping in Murfreesboro.

I'll be looking for Jessieville!!

Gotta go to PJ. Close friend, like a sister, lives in Indiana. She used to live in Morrilton and she demanded pictures. We gotta comply because I surely don't want her upset!!

Old 09-27-2018, 06:33 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Thank you all for the information!!!

I don't know if we'll be by Ponca or Yellville. Well we will be, but don't know which town we'll be staying at. Gonna look more online and discuss it with the boss, er, wife. Haha

Will definitely be looking for those eateries and the Crystal Mines. We love doing things like that. We were hoping to strike it rich in the Diamond Crater earlier this year but someone beat us to it... hehehe but had a great time digging and shopping in Murfreesboro.

I'll be looking for Jessieville!!

Gotta go to PJ. Close friend, like a sister, lives in Indiana. She used to live in Morrilton and she demanded pictures. We gotta comply because I surely don't want her upset!!
Your trip sounds like so much fun. I can tell you that the Buffalo is far more beautiful in the Newton Co. access points than Yellville. Here we have the big bluffs that isn't found in the lower part. We only go to lower part of the Buffalo if it's later in the float season and the water levels are too low near Ponca/Jasper. In other words, if you're looking for the most beautiful sights, keep it near Ponca. While you're there, go to the free Elk Education Center in Ponca, see the elk herds in Boxley valley, have breakfast at the Cliff House overlooking the AR grand canyon, stop in at Scenic Point for the view and souveneirs, hike up Whitaker's point and see the hawksbill crag.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:41 AM

Shoot, just lost a long message just prior to hitting send!

You are going to have such a good time. Arkansas is beautiful in the fall, and you've picked out some great places to visit.

I concur, get a cabin at PJ if you can (they go fast and early in the fall, but keep checking for cancellations). Pj's website has lots of photos, with more online. Beautiful place, with overlooks, hiking trails, Indian cave, rock formations, a huge waterfall, turtle rocks, CCC-built Mather Lodge and cabins, and more. Cabins are rustic and comfortable, and most include fully equipped kitchens, screened porches and/or decks with picnic tables and swings, and many have views of Cedar Creek Canyon, which is also visible from behind Mather Lodge.

Ron Coleman's is a couple of miles off Scenic Highway Seven, the main drag through both the mountainous Ouachita National Forest and eventually little Jessieville (which is just a few miles north of Hot Springs Village, where you can find a pleasant motel in the shopping center just across from the HSV entrance). Hot Springs Village is about fifteen miles from Hot Springs proper.

The mine is great and the staff is very friendly and helpful - plan to spend a full day, weather permitting, and take a picnic. There's a giftshop, army truck tours of the open pit, 250 foot deep mine with twin ziplines over it, a museum room included on the tour, a break room with snacks, clean restrooms, a campground (mainly for camper vans), and parking next to the dig area, which includes tailings from the mine.

Bring hand tools, wear enclosed walking shoes and old clothes (the mud stains and you'll get muddy), take small low folding stools for comfort, water bottles, a lightweight hat, and tote bags or boxes or buckets for your finds, and pray for rain the night before your visit - that's when it's easiest to find pretty things. Crystals range from jewelry sized to gigantic, with slabs as well. Check out the Facebook page for current visitor and staff finds - you won't go home empty-handed.

Have fun - I am so envious!

Old 09-28-2018, 10:54 AM

Take a look at the map and see if you can include Blanchard Springs Caverns in your visit. It's in the Ozark National Forest in north central Arkansas, not far from Mountain View, which is a center for traditional music. The cave includes vast chambers with spectacular formations, and is very accessible. The Forest Service conducts tours of various lengths - go for the basic tour to start with and come back for more if you like.

Prettiest cave I've ever visited.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:38 PM

Thank you all... I'm making lists of places mentioned. Gonna try to fit everything in but don't know if able to. Depending on driving time, visits inside the towns and us giving in on doing some serious hiking through the mountains.

Ever since seeing mountains and being through, it's as if part of my soul has been trapped there. Calling me and my wife, home. I'm really hoping we can sell our place here soon so we can fulfill our dream of escaping Louisiana and calling the mountains home...

Old 10-01-2018, 12:07 PM

8 posts, read 7,824 times
My wife and I have spent a lot of time in the Buffalo River area around Jasper and Newton County. We first began visiting in 1999/2000 and fell in love with it. Like you, it worked its way into our psyche and has never left.

For 3 or 4 years, we stayed at the Ozark Mountain Cabins, just north of Jasper. Here's their link:

Home Page

They are only a mile from a campground that is on the banks of the Buffalo. We have walked in and swam in the Buffalo many times. As has been previously mentioned, there are high bluffs here, and the scenery is fantastic. Swallowtail butterflies were everywhere.

Between Harrison and Jasper on Hwy. 7 is the old "Dogpatch" attraction. It's deserted now, but interesting nonetheless. Mystic Caverns is also on 7, just up the road a piece and well worth a visit.

I haven't been to Jasper for several years, but we used to eat at the Ozark Cafe in downtown Jasper. Excellent food. We stumbled into a Friday night hoedown one time, when towards the end of our meal, local musicians began arriving at the restaurant and put on a very enjoyable live show. We just sat at our table and watched and listened to the whole thing. Some locals joined us, and it was a great time.

I own property between the town of Bull Shoals and Flippin. If you like to boat or fish, Bull Shoals Lake can't be beat, and it's surrounded by lush and beautiful hills and countryside. Yellville is about 15 miles to the west of Flippin on 412. We retire in 3 months, and we're mulling over our options. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas