U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 PM

654 posts, read 1,674,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMN View Post
Let's be real. How is a thread like this every 3 months that unreasonable?
LOL. Things change that rapidly?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 PM

8,058 posts, read 10,638,196 times
Just got back from Dad's weekend for my daughter's sorority at U of AR in Fayetteville. Being raised in the deep south and now in Texas for ten years, I feel like I have gone back home everytime I visit. I love Fayetteville, reminds me so much more of Georgia than Texas. And to me Texas is thoroughly southern.

Don't know how it could be anymore southern. At some point on the map, the south will meet the north, but below that line, whether it is the state line with MO or further north into MO, all that is south of it is is the south no doubt.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:32 PM

374 posts, read 709,845 times
How is this still even a debate? Geographically, Arkansas lies completely within the southeastern portion of the United States, which is more than can be said for Kentucky or Virginia. Historically and culturally, I don't know how a state can be more "Southern." Arkansas was a former member of the Confederacy, part of the "solid South" during Reconstruction, and was a focal point of the civil rights movement during the Eisenhower administration. Does the name Orville Faubus ring a bell? Johnny Cash and Bill Clinton are from Arkansas! Do they sound Midwestern to you?? Do we have to secede again or something? I'm a sixth generation Arkansan, and this question is especially irritating to me. The only reason people question Arkansas' "Southerness" is because Arkansas is so poorly understood on a national basis. We're a small, rural state that doesn't get much attention. If you ever take some advanced American history courses, you will learn that there is no one "South." South Carolina has a very different regional culture and history from Mississippi. Texas is nothing like Virginia. Yet all of these states are Southern. No one Southern state has the same accent, history, or even barbeque. Maybe this post will clear some things up for you.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 PM

243 posts, read 501,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I have bummed around all over the USofA and several foreign countries and I have found that people here in the US are all about the same except their various accents and phrases.
this

/thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:03 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,395,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
How is this still even a debate? Geographically, Arkansas lies completely within the southeastern portion of the United States, which is more than can be said for Kentucky or Virginia. Historically and culturally, I don't know how a state can be more "Southern." Arkansas was a former member of the Confederacy, part of the "solid South" during Reconstruction, and was a focal point of the civil rights movement during the Eisenhower administration. Does the name Orville Faubus ring a bell? Johnny Cash and Bill Clinton are from Arkansas! Do they sound Midwestern to you?? Do we have to secede again or something? I'm a sixth generation Arkansan, and this question is especially irritating to me. The only reason people question Arkansas' "Southerness" is because Arkansas is so poorly understood on a national basis. We're a small, rural state that doesn't get much attention. If you ever take some advanced American history courses, you will learn that there is no one "South." South Carolina has a very different regional culture and history from Mississippi. Texas is nothing like Virginia. Yet all of these states are Southern. No one Southern state has the same accent, history, or even barbeque. Maybe this post will clear some things up for you.
Before it fought with the confederates it was France. We must sucede and rejoin the motherland.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:23 PM

318 posts, read 502,828 times
Arkansas is most definitely in the South...but there are some parts of north and northwest arkansas, that remind me of the Midwest for these reasons...

1. A large number of Catholics and Catholic schools
2. Families with German/Dutch heritage, and local recipes like potato salad.
3. Weaker southern accents...the accents are still very "country," but that is not always southern
4. Very few African Americans and none of the "Delta" cultural influences to the south and east

Those places are much like Missouri, Southern Illinois, Indiana or south Ohio to me. I know to a lot of southerners, the Midwest is all "yankeeland," but a lot of lower Midwesterners are not too different from northern Arkies. I would say a place like Pocahontas or Eureka Springs has more in common with the lower Midwest than it does with any town in Alabama or Mississippi.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:29 PM

2,925 posts, read 9,096,382 times
I have never, ever heard anyone refer to AK as the Midwest...and if I did, it would seem laugable. If someone says North Carolina is the Northeast, for examplye, that wouldn't make it so. Even if a group of people online brought it up it, it still wouldn't change my opinion. And lastly, you are already in AK so what would it matter at this point? Maybe you wanted the Delta or deep south experience....since there are different versions of the south within the region. Just enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about the labels. But rest assured, AK is "the south."

Old 11-30-2013, 04:48 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I have never, ever heard anyone refer to AK as the Midwest...and if I did, it would seem laugable. If someone says North Carolina is the Northeast, for examplye, that wouldn't make it so. Even if a group of people online brought it up it, it still wouldn't change my opinion. And lastly, you are already in AK so what would it matter at this point? Maybe you wanted the Delta or deep south experience....since there are different versions of the south within the region. Just enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about the labels. But rest assured, AK is "the south."

No, AK is not in the south, it is the furthest northern point in the USA. Now, if you are talking about AR. that is a different story and one that has been debated off and on for years, here on CD. I am surprised this thread was re-circulated.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:41 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Closed - this thread has been regurgitated under several different themes. In June we promised to hold the status of Arkansas to one thread, so let's do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or