U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:22 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,522,685 times

Advertisements

This great lodge is located on top of Rich Mountain north of Mena, Polk County, and has been closed for months for a major upgrading with plans to reopen December 2013. I read today that the work is only 60% complete, the general contractor has been fired, state parks is in contact with the contractors insurance carrier, they are inspecting the completed work to see how much of it will need to be re-done, and the lodge will not reopen in December. At this time they don't know when it will reopen.

That is going to cost the lodge, and Mena businesses, big tourist $$ because that is one of the most popular lodges in the state during the fall color season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 PM

4,817 posts, read 7,102,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
That is going to cost the lodge, and Mena businesses, big tourist $$ because that is one of the most popular lodges in the state during the fall color season.
I hate that for them. Hope they get is straightened out soon.

I've never personally been there but I've "driven" up there on google, and it is really beautiful. I would absolutely love to be there in the fall.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:25 PM

2,002 posts, read 2,870,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

I've never personally been there but I've "driven" up there on google, and it is really beautiful. I would absolutely love to be there in the fall.
The scenic byway and the rest of the park is open. There's a temporary tourist trailer set up and the campgrounds and the train station are open.. Add: The train is a seperate entity and is usually closed at Labor Day, but they are running today.

Last edited by slingshot; 09-22-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

That really is a great place/spot. When the ruins of the original hotel were still standing, we called it the Castle, and as a teenager a very long time ago we would walk to it from Mena time and time again and explore it even more. During that time I walked every pig/deer trail on Rich Mountain. Oh the memories.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:32 PM

Update: The weekly paper, The Polk County Pulse, reported today that all remodeling on the lodge has come to a halt because of legal red tape following the firing of the original contractor. To date, no replacement has been named. The latest re-opening target date is now early 2014. More at... www.MyPulseNews.com

Old 09-25-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Update: The weekly paper, The Polk County Pulse, reported today that all remodeling on the lodge has come to a halt because of legal red tape following the firing of the original contractor. To date, no replacement has been named. The latest re-opening target date is now early 2014. More at... www.MyPulseNews.com
Thanks for that Link slingshot. I didn't know about it.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:39 AM

836 posts, read 686,450 times
it is a great day trip from hot springs, to go and drive the mountain on a beautiful autumn day.

(several years ago) we had breakfast in hot springs, lunch in mena, rode up on the mountain and made it back to hot springs in time to watch the razorback game on tv. we had a convertible at the time and made a nice memory that day!

put it on your list.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
it is a great day trip from hot springs, to go and drive the mountain on a beautiful autumn day.

(several years ago) we had breakfast in hot springs, lunch in mena, rode up on the mountain and made it back to hot springs in time to watch the razorback game on tv. we had a convertible at the time and made a nice memory that day!

put it on your list.
Lots of "memories" have been made on Rich Mountain

Old 09-30-2013, 03:56 PM

Hey ArkansasSlim, I was wondering if you'd care to share some of those memories with the rest of us?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Hey ArkansasSlim, I was wondering if you'd care to share some of those memories with the rest of us?

AIN'T NO WAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas