U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,741,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I had done a lot of research in many places of the United States for retirement relocation.

If everything you posted is accurate, that is a good DEAL for ANYWHERE in the US ( IMHO )
I did the same as nmnita. Me and the wife bought a travel trailer and took two winters and drove all over the south. We bought a book on where to retire in the USA. It is still a very good book, it does not list places in the north due to most people do not want to live in much snow. We looked at Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and Tennessee. We decided that Hot Springs was by far the closest to our home state of Michigan minus the snow. It was located not far from one of our fav places to vist NOLA, and its a day trip to go to Memphis and walk Beals st. We are not far from our family in Wichita either and its just so beautiful there. We sold our home and have regretted it since. Our home is now in foreclosure and a family that the owner rented to before losing it has been squatting for over 6 months. I would look at buying but my money is tied up in real estate here in Fla. I have a home and one condo rental in Sarasota. I think now is the time to buy at a price that is fair.

We tried to buy property in Mt. Home in 2007 and I was aghast at how much had changed form when I went in to the Real Estate office from 06. There was in 06 hundreds of listings on the wall and in 07 there were 3 not a type O 3 listings the office had. Land and homes were selling like hot cakes in Ethiopia. I can see that happening in a few years again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 11:02 AM

833 posts, read 682,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
We live in Florida now and its not bad, but it has its draw backs, oppressive heat in summer, rain every day in summer, winter is great but people up the wazoo and more coming. [this is a double edged sword. It makes it difficult but it also makes for good selling of your property.] That said we love Arkansas. Hot Springs is the place we like most. Eureka Springs is too much of a tourist town that drys up in winter and is wall to wall people in summer. Hot Springs has things all year round. Festivals in summer and horse racing in winter. Winter is light and it runs from Jan, to about the end of Feb or first week of March and its getting warm. I love the hills and trees. Its just a great place. It reminds me of my up north Michigan home town minus the 5 feet of snow and winters that go from Oct to May.

thanks for the nice post about hot springs.

so many people have the misconception that hot springs is just a one season town. we find any weekend in hot springs to be enjoyable. it is a four season town!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
thanks for the nice post about hot springs.

so many people have the misconception that hot springs is just a one season town. we find any weekend in hot springs to be enjoyable. it is a four season town!
Eureka Springs is more of a two season town. But HS has something going on all year. As far as the poster who said its hot in summer, well come on down to Fla in July.

The only thing I wish would happen in HS is for more of a renovation in the down town district. But I know a lot of things took a hit when the economy went south, so maybe in the next few years as things improve.

I did an exhaustive search of our property and found it last sold for 17000. So 14000 is less then they paid for it and that was in 2005, so I think we are getting a good deal. Even if we have to sit on it for a few years till we are ready to move. I doubt taxes will be much more than 70 bucks a year on vacant land.

Nice thing is the person at the end of the street [a cul-de-sac] bought the acreage across from my lot and to the side so he would have more privacy. That makes my lot even more valuable to me. I don't have to pay taxes and I get the benefit of the barrier.

Lots to do in LR also. We used to go once a month to the Looney bin, market st and the Argenta dist. Have a brew at the flying saucer and just chill.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:42 AM

316 posts, read 342,965 times
I think you'll like the HS area, we moved here this summer (job relocation) and are loving it so far.

We ended up buying a house in the village, we got a lot of misinformation from folks who have "heard about" the village, but people who have lived here almost all love it.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
I think you'll like the HS area, we moved here this summer (job relocation) and are loving it so far.

We ended up buying a house in the village, we got a lot of misinformation from folks who have "heard about" the village, but people who have lived here almost all love it.
I used to work around the village a bit. Its great, the problem some have with it, is they come from a home where you can jack up your car and drain the oil on the lawn if you like. Its more restrictive there but it keeps the place very nice. If you want to have junk cars and an engine hanging form the oak tree you will need to buy a few acres outside the village.

If you don't know about them, take some time to go to what was the old Brau Hase now its called Steinhaus Keller, go have a beer and watch the Itinerant locals play. You won't be sorry.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:55 PM

52,338 posts, read 41,134,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post

My parents moved there about a year ago and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. And in fact, my husband and I plan to retire there within the next ten years ourselves. What a fantastic place! I can't wait!

Old 10-29-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My parents moved there about a year ago and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. And in fact, my husband and I plan to retire there within the next ten years ourselves. What a fantastic place! I can't wait!
It really is. I think the big thing is to not over expect from the area. Some people think of Arkansas as a hillbilly, no shoes and can barely speak area. That is under expectation of the area. Some look for what they left like the one couple I knew that after moving did not like it because they left California and it was too slow and did not have enough stores. If you want to move to Arkansas and make it California light you are SOL, thats not what it is. But for people like me, who know that its very light winters in HS, they may get an inch a year or season, and gets hot in summer but that only lasts for about two or three months, and winter is the same, runs colder from Jan, to Feb, and in March the buds pop, has beautiful hills and mountains, streams and lakes, with a fair amount of things to do summer and winter, it may be for you. If you don't go there with the attitude of I come from where they do things right, you will fit in just fine. Too many times people have a superior attitude when moving in to an area because they do things a bit differently and it make for friction. I have never had a hard time fitting in there. I don't feel that just because there is a southern accent that many people have makes them any different than me. If you like to shoot, hunt, fish, boat, and all of the out door sports other than snowmobile its a good fit. Its not far to Memphis and Branson for day trips and your about 9 hours or so from NOLA. We sat and watched the sun set at the Lake Ouachita park and it was as beautiful as when I sit on Venice Beach to watch the sun set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or