U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:44 PM

602 posts, read 1,338,482 times

Advertisements

Having lived through the Big Ice storm Fayetteville had in 2009 (no electricity for 101 hours!), I've learned to ALWAYS keep a good supply of firewood (someone had yet to call our supplier ). We would not have made it without our natural gas grill and water heater.

I had a small "cigarette lighter" inverter in my van that we used to charge cell phones and other small items. I've since purchased one that has four plugs and could be contacted directly to a battery.

For flashlights, I've tried to keep a supply of the hand-crank ones.

Guess I'd better start getting prepared for this winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 01:06 PM

971 posts, read 1,245,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
On Breaking Bad there was a generator that ran on propane, it hooked up to one of those big tanks that you probably need a forklift or a small crane for. I won't say to much more because it could be a spoiler but that would be nice setup, wouldn't have to go outside to put more gas in. I bet even one of the smaller tanks like you can switch out at the grocery store would last at least all night on a portable generator.
I lived here in SW Missouri all my life in the 30's and 40's before there was electricity brought in by the REA and we had a Delco generator with a bank of batteries for our fishing camp. We even had dc fridgs in the cabins. So we have always had an automatic backup generator that goes on when the electricity goes off and then turns off when the power is restored at my residence even though we no longer are in business. My generator is connected to a 300 gal. propane tank which I keep filled to 70%. I starts and runs every week for 15 minutes just to keep ready. Once it ran steady for two weeks during an ice storm. It is big enough to power my heat pump and 220 V. well pump should both run at the same time. It works if I am here or not. Good insurance to keep my all electric house from freezing and bursting the water pipes. IMHO

Old 11-17-2013, 04:15 PM

124 posts, read 155,927 times
Ice storms are a fact of life in the entire midsouth area, even here in Memphis,Tn we average a big one every 20 years or so - last one was over 6 days no electric in my neighborhood, worse in some areas of the city, but with natural gas (hot water), propane camping appliances, charcoal grill, and cooler(s) and ice did survive with only real loss being contents of deep freezer.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 PM

971 posts, read 1,245,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmiii View Post
Ice storms are a fact of life in the entire midsouth area, even here in Memphis,Tn we average a big one every 20 years or so - last one was over 6 days no electric in my neighborhood, worse in some areas of the city, but with natural gas (hot water), propane camping appliances, charcoal grill, and cooler(s) and ice did survive with only real loss being contents of deep freezer.
Ice storms can happen most anywhere edmill. My grandparents had citrus orchards in Harlingen, Texas for over 50 years. He sold them in the 80's and that year an ice storm destroyed the orchards. The new owner sub-divided and built spec. houses. I have been snowed in in Waco, Texas on one occasion. I spent the day today watching the tornados In Illinois and Indiana. Bad stuff can happen anywhere at anytime. IMHO.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:12 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,968,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Ice storms can happen most anywhere edmill. My grandparents had citrus orchards in Harlingen, Texas for over 50 years. He sold them in the 80's and that year an ice storm destroyed the orchards. The new owner sub-divided and built spec. houses. I have been snowed in in Waco, Texas on one occasion. I spent the day today watching the tornados In Illinois and Indiana. Bad stuff can happen anywhere at anytime. IMHO.

Yes, ..........it can happen anywhere at anytime.......... but two key words are severity and frequency

All places are not equal in regards to those two descriptions.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 PM

28 posts, read 43,549 times
Back during the big ice storm in the early 90's a neighbor had a generator leaving it run all night long. One morning when he woke he hit the light switch the 1st thing but the light did not come on. He thought, that's strange, I can hear my generator running so I know I've got power. He stepped outside & looked in his garage where he had his generator. His generator was gone, his riding lawnmower was setting there singing a pretty tune for him just as his generator did before it was stolen.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 AM

2,002 posts, read 2,867,740 times
To get everyone in the mood. Mena, Arkansas.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 AM

4,388 posts, read 4,273,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
In the last 30 or so odd years, Houston has had a rare ice storm. My wife was trapped there in a hotel during both. Once as a teenager (we were not married then) and once a couple of years ago.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 PM

733 posts, read 1,537,224 times
I have heard about the connection between Arkansas and ice storms, but how many exactly have you all witnessed? The only significant ice storm that I have heard of here is the 2009 ice storm. Having one major ice storm in the last 20 years doesn't really make an area prone to ice storms. Having a coating of 1/4th inch of ice on the roads doesn't exactly qualify as significant.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,968,480 times
it sure is if the roads are in the Ozarks !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or