Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
Having lived through the Big Ice storm Fayetteville had in 2009 (no electricity for 101 hours!), I've learned to ALWAYS keep a good supply of firewood (someone had yet to call our supplier ). We would not have made it without our natural gas grill and water heater.

I had a small "cigarette lighter" inverter in my van that we used to charge cell phones and other small items. I've since purchased one that has four plugs and could be contacted directly to a battery.

For flashlights, I've tried to keep a supply of the hand-crank ones.

Guess I'd better start getting prepared for this winter
Our granddaughter and her new husband lived in Fayetteville then. They were just about to try to venture up to our place when they got the power back. I don't think they were quite that long without power. We had a lot of ice here, no one would think of leaving their house unless they had to (mainly because of our windy roads) for about 3 days, but I will say one thing, they sure are pretty...That was our first winter here. I expected the storms to be yearly, but luckily we haven't really had a big one since then. Yes, it might be time to remember it can happen any year. We had them in Texas as well, but not as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
it sure is if the roads are in the Ozarks !
That is foe certain. It is bad enough driving some of these roads when it is mid summer, any ice or snow at all can be pretty scary. I remember all the snow we had a few years ago< I am guessing it was Jan/Feb 2011. In fact I am sure of it. Most of use were stuck days in the house, we didn't think it would ever stop and no, it wasn't as bad as the east coast for instance, but then, we are not as accustom to that much, many of us do not have cars that handle ice and snow and how do I know? Hubby got stuck twice in one day.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:49 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,396,594 times
We have enough here in Mena that I have just invested in a 4x4 Jeep.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
We have enough here in Mena that I have just invested in a 4x4 Jeep.
I know you seem to get a lot of the junk that sometimes misses us.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,884 times
Default ice storms

OK Guys, you're freaking me out here. I'm planning a week vacation to H.S. in early Jan. I plan on a trip to wine country (Altus), staying in Ozark, and coming back through Mt. Magazine. I know all about ice here in NW Iowa, but how are the roads maintained? What are my odds of getting iced out of my wine adventure? Thanks!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,721,204 times
You're staying for a WEEK in Ozark???

I had to say that. Sorry.

The weather is unpredictable in January, there may be ice, or it may be warm and sunny so that people are out golfing. Odds are that you won't be here during an ice storm. If you somehow beat the odds, you don't want to try to drive on iced-over roads. Wait until the ice melts.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryoke View Post
OK Guys, you're freaking me out here. I'm planning a week vacation to H.S. in early Jan. I plan on a trip to wine country (Altus), staying in Ozark, and coming back through Mt. Magazine. I know all about ice here in NW Iowa, but how are the roads maintained? What are my odds of getting iced out of my wine adventure? Thanks!
We have lived here for close to six years and have only had that one really bad storm, plus a few yeats, when, yes, there has been a lot of snow. But it isn't that often, I am guessing the odds are about 5 to 1 you will be just fine. Jan is the coldest month, just like it is everywhere, with Feb being similar.

No one can predict what will happen, but freaking out would be like saying, because we have had a couple of tornados or threats of them in April and May, no one should vacation here that time of the year.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryoke View Post
I would be a lot more concerned for a person from Arkansas taking a week vacation in NW Iowa in January than an Iowan taking a vacation in Arkansas in January.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,884 times
I may have overreacted by saying "freaking out". And only 1 night in Ozark. I thought maybe after 4 wineries, I might not want to drive back to H.S.

I like to "over research" my vacations. I get a lot of info from googlemaps, but it doesn't tell me if they sand the roads to Mt. Magazine Lodge in January. Also, is fog a big problem in that area? I realize this is "off season", but yes, it's got to be better than Iowa Thanks!

Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,209,729 times
I seriously doubt the road to Magazine is sanded when it ices. It isn't a state highway or anything - but I don't know that for sure. Might want to call the lodge and ask. Fog shouldn't be a problem since that's warm meeting cold air, and the "warm" part is pretty much gone by January unless we have an Arkansas weather "occurrence", in which case it's break out the light sweaters and forget the polar overcoats - but if there's any ice pretty much anywhere in Arkansas you'd best just stay put and ride it out. The ice is treacherous and way too many people think they are a good enough driver to maneuver it. Those same people are delusional and end up making guest appearances on the 5 o'clock news and being besties with their insurance agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas