U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:19 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times

Advertisements

Icing heavily in Russellville now - temps dropping. 4:18 a.m. Doesn't look so good for the home team. We've stayed in a pocket of just rain for the past day but the ice looks like it is almost stalling out over us. Ugh. Just ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Icing heavily in Russellville now - temps dropping. 4:18 a.m. Doesn't look so good for the home team. We've stayed in a pocket of just rain for the past day but the ice looks like it is almost stalling out over us. Ugh. Just ugh.
wow, you can look at it this way: we are all stuck inside so we have no excuse for not getting the Christmas gifts wrapped, the house cleaned and some baking done, just so you guys don't lose your power. Ours has been mostly snow. I don't think it is falling right now, but I am going to try and get the paper in a few minutes, then I will know for sure.

My daughter said, one of her daughters went to Walmart at 5am yesterday and it was packed. Then our daughter went to $ General, just near here about 8am, same story...I did all the shopping I needed to do on Tuesday, thank goodness. if we run out of something, oh well!!!!

Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,434,819 times
It appears we have (so far) dodged the bullet here in west LR. It rained all night but no icing of the trees or power lines. About 8 this AM sleet came and covered the ground and streets but the streets were warm enough it turned to slush but will turn to ice tonight. It ain't over yet 2:20 PM and I just looked at the live radar and everything has moved east of us. We are in the clear except for the streets freezing tonight, but with tomorrow being Saturday, maybe the traffic will be light.

Last edited by Old Fossil; 12-06-2013 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 12-07-2013, 11:42 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,606,664 times
You guys were lucky.

We got close to a foot of snow, *after* freezing rain Thursday. There ain't nothing moving. The wife has been out chipping ice off her SUV all day today, and the lockout hubs on my truck are froze, so no 4WD.

At least the power stayed on.

They shut down U.S. 63 because of a collection of jackknifed semis.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:14 PM

2,002 posts, read 2,867,740 times
All of my trees are history. Two HUGE Hackberry's. One Dogwood and a Crepe Myrtle. My garage and backyard are covered with large limbs. Our power was out all day Friday. I have enough work with the chainsaw to keep me busy til the fall of next year.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:34 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,434,819 times
My nephew who lives at Ink had to cut a tree out of his drive before he could get out to go for more gas for his generator.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 PM

733 posts, read 1,537,224 times
I cannot believe how much snow/ice is still on the roads..more than 24 hrs after the last snow fell! I realize that Arkansas doesn't get as much snow as the Northern states, so they typically wont spend as much on clean up and ice melting solutions, but what happens when we get storms this big? I was on the streets for roughly 45 minutes today and saw a total of one truck out treating the roads. Even the main roads are still nearly completely covered, and this is in Bentonville where we didn't even see much ice.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:26 PM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
I cannot believe how much snow/ice is still on the roads..more than 24 hrs after the last snow fell! I realize that Arkansas doesn't get as much snow as the Northern states, so they typically wont spend as much on clean up and ice melting solutions, but what happens when we get storms this big? I was on the streets for roughly 45 minutes today and saw a total of one truck out treating the roads. Even the main roads are still nearly completely covered, and this is in Bentonville where we didn't even see much ice.
wow,that surprises me: yes, you are right, we can't expect to have the same equipment that you get in the upper Midwest and other areas with heavy snow, but here in Bella Vista, even our little street in forn to our house, in the middle of nowhere had snow removal today.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:35 PM

733 posts, read 1,537,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow,that surprises me: yes, you are right, we can't expect to have the same equipment that you get in the upper Midwest and other areas with heavy snow, but here in Bella Vista, even our little street in forn to our house, in the middle of nowhere had snow removal today.
That is interesting. I live along Highway 12, 1/2 mile from XNA and the road was covered. I'm not sure if they pretreated the roads here, but I saw on that news that Springdale did not. Eh, oh well. At least it's a weekend so there will be less people on the roads, but I just hope that they do extra work on Sunday, because Monday could be tough driving.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,972,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
but what happens when we get storms this big?
They wait for it to melt. Sometimes it takes a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or