Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:36 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times

Advertisements

Since AR is a mostly rural state, most of the power outages are from ice. Sitting here the other evening I had an "Ah-Ha Moment". If the outage is for an extended period, even those who prepared may run out of flashlight batteries, and those who don't may not even have extra batteries. During my "Moment" I remembered that in the Army we had a device called several names including, light stick, glow stick, fire stick, etc., which when activated would provide light for several hours. So if these were stocked as backup after the batteries are gone after a long outage, they could prevent considerable frustration. And they will not "run down" as improperly stored batteries will.

The next day I went to Wal Mart and found they have several different types and colors in their camping supply area. I bought several for our different family homes. The ones I bought were "Coleman" Brand and had two in each package for about $3.00. They were labeled "Ilumistick Glow Stick".

I was concerned about little kids and house pets, but the package says "Non-toxic", but in the same paragraph are several warnings which are only common sense.

Just a thought I think I should pass along. Winter is on the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 02:07 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
My 20kw automatic generator solved my problem.

Your tip is a good one though, and I thank you for passing it on.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:29 PM

I understand the 20kw. A friend who is the last house on his country power line is always the last to get power so he going your route. Other friends have gotten the small "emergency" generators and it seems they always run out of fuel in the middle of the night. Last winter we had enough flash light batteries, and lit our new gas log fireplace, but immediately found out the logs were for looks, not heat , we now have another new gas log insert which will put out heat. Last winter we bundled up and sat in front of the fireplace (for physical reasons I guess) until we finally gave up and went to bed, which was O.K. until we had to change positions, then we had more cold sheets to warm. It was like when I was a kid growing up in the country a long time ago when we had so many quilts on top of us it was difficult to turn over
"The good old days" my I'm happy that is long past.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:39 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
You can get a small generator at Harbor Frieght for $90 with a coupon you can find on the internet.
Just remember to drain the gas out of them before you store, thats how I screwed up my last generator. I think these HF ones are 2 strokes though, maybe more forgiving.
I've got so many of those flashlights they give out for free I could probably make it until spring. I've got one that works on crank power and has a radio too.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Other friends have gotten the small "emergency" generators and it seems they always run out of fuel in the middle of the night.
Sounds like the generator was ok but the gas tank was to small.

If I had the money for a huge generator I'd just fly to Bangkok for the winter, that would solve that. Well if I didn't have school anyways.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
You can get a small generator at Harbor Frieght for $90 with a coupon you can find on the internet.
Just remember to drain the gas out of them before you store, thats how I screwed up my last generator. I think these HF ones are 2 strokes though, maybe more forgiving.
I've got so many of those flashlights they give out for free I could probably make it until spring. I've got one that works on crank power and has a radio too.
Back in my other life when I had garden tractors, chain saws, lawn mowers, etc., I used gas stabilizer and after over-wintering they would start just as they did the past fall. Son lives in St Louis and has the same experience with stabilizer. I messed up several chain saws and lawn mowers though before that stuff came on the market.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:15 AM

Fuel stabilizers probably a good idea too. All I would have had to do was turn the fuel shutoff valve and start it until the gas ran out and it probably would have saved it. Probably will do both if it happens again.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
I also keep glowsticks in the car. Along with a couple of flashlights, and spare batteries. I've got a small air compressor that is also a BIG flashlight, as well. And a broomstick handle with a reg rag tied to it. Beach towels. A warm blanket in the winter. A couple gallons of water. Etc.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
The HF generators are hit and miss. The Survival section at AR15.com has some interesting threads about them along with the part numbers of the ones that work better and how to improve them.

I was at a training class in Boston when the ice storm of '94 hit. I called my wife to pick me up at the LR airport and she said there was no way she could make it. Our flight from Dallas to LR was interesting because there was a thunder ice storm below us. As we approached the runway, the landing lights illuminated the white ground. I could not tell when the runway began. We landed on a sheet of ice and took much longer to stop than normal. I ended up staying at a co-workers house that night.

My family in southeast AR was without electricity for about 2 weeks. Most of Chicot county had power lines re-strung.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM

On Breaking Bad there was a generator that ran on propane, it hooked up to one of those big tanks that you probably need a forklift or a small crane for. I won't say to much more because it could be a spoiler but that would be nice setup, wouldn't have to go outside to put more gas in. I bet even one of the smaller tanks like you can switch out at the grocery store would last at least all night on a portable generator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas