U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 AM

4,817 posts, read 7,092,624 times

Advertisements

I was looking yesterday on google maps street view at a little town in the sticks in Arkansas in response to a posting (Ravenden Springs), and the photos were the old, grainy ones. I went back today to look around a little more and they've been switched to the new ones. Which makes me wonder.....

If they can have up-to-date street view of every little street in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere (and also of some really out-there backroads all over Arkansas), why in the world can't they get it done in Hot Springs Village? Do you think the Village won't let them, maybe, since it's gated?

I have just been dying to get a look "inside the gates" of Hot Springs Village because it's a possible retirement option for us, and I've never been there and don't anticipate being able to go any time soon. I've driven by the west gate several times, but not in the last 10 years, probably.

I've found some really cute, inexpensive homes for sale and wonder if there is a reason they are so inexpensive (besides being a little dated). I'd really love to be able to get on street view and check out the neighborhoods of the ones I've been looking at.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:39 PM

2,857 posts, read 3,528,354 times
"cute, inexpensive homes for sale"....??? inside HS Village proper ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-05-2013, 01:40 PM

Yes. The ones that were built in the 70s and have the little "chalet" feel with the vaulted ceilings in the LRs. I think they're cute....you may not. They're plain and boxy, but could be very cute with just a little detailing here and there. There is one on realtor.com right now that is in foreclosure and it says it is rough inside, but the outside looks ok, even has a little stone veneer on it. It has a little more room than most (of that style and era), something like 1600 sq. ft., and is listed at around 35,000, IIRC.

Anyway, just go to realtor.com and do a search and you'll see them.

Now, "inexpensive" may mean something entirely different to you than it does to me, but I'm talking under, say, around $75,000. (I'm looking for something small.) There are several in the 40-60K range that are cute also. This is all "in my opinion", of course.

Just wish I could get on street view and see the neighborhoods. Guess there really aren't any "bad" neighborhoods in the Village, but I'd like to see how hilly the place is, how close together the houses are, etc. Sometimes you can see that the houses are right next to each other in the realtor pictures, sometimes you can't tell.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:44 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,434,819 times
Luvv, I suspect you are correct in thinking that HSV "locked out" the Google street view surveyors. If you will go to Google Earth sky view and zoom in, you can see about anything you would like, except street view. If you haven't tried it, it shows the street names so you could zoom down onto "your house" and get a pretty good look-see.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:30 AM

2,857 posts, read 3,528,354 times
"I think they're cute....you may not"...

hey, I was just commenting on the fact that they even existed inside the gates....older houses can be "cute", they happen to my preference...says I who owned a "built in 1905" log home in the Ozarks, and a current project 1940 adobe home in Yuma. However older homes do come with a set of unique challenges.

The places I've been inside HSV are hilly, treed and semi private.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,799,221 times
HSV roads are privately owned. I believe Google only goes on public roads. The Google view of most of those roads would not be very interesting, anyway. You can't see all that much from the road, mostly just trees. Many of the homes are hidden behind trees, others are built into the sides of hills, and what you'd see from the road is unimpressive (the top floor is all that might be visible from the road).

If Google could get views from a boat, that might show you a lot more of what the homes look like.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Luvv, I suspect you are correct in thinking that HSV "locked out" the Google street view surveyors. If you will go to Google Earth sky view and zoom in, you can see about anything you would like, except street view. If you haven't tried it, it shows the street names so you could zoom down onto "your house" and get a pretty good look-see.
Yes, I've done that (on just google maps, not Earth....haven't downloaded Earth), but with all the trees, it's hard to get a look. Also, in the HSV area the "sky" images haven't been replaced with the newer, sharper ones. You get in close and everything starts to get fuzzy.

Is it clearer on Earth? I may have to download that. I think it's free, isn't it?

Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I think they're cute....you may not"...

hey, I was just commenting on the fact that they even existed inside the gates....

The places I've been inside HSV are hilly, treed and semi private.

Regards
Gemstone1
I wasn't being snotty or anything, just pointing out the fact that people are different.

I love old houses too....live in one, actually (late 20s), and really don't want another one. As you said, they come with their own set of unique challenges. I never want to live in one again, if possible, or at least not one that hasn't already been fixed up with some sort of low-maintenance siding, thermopane windows (or whatever they're called), new wiring and plumbing,and a metal roof. I still like looking at them, though, especially in Eureka Springs. But now when I see them, I no longer long to have one. haha

Hilly, treed, and semi private sounds great to me. That's one thing I can tell that I like from the realtor pictures....lots of trees!

I found a new listing on realtor.com yesterday that I really liked, and it was on the side of a hill with trees all around, no grass to mow....looked great!

Old 12-06-2013, 12:47 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,434,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Yes, I've done that (on just google maps, not Earth....haven't downloaded Earth), but with all the trees, it's hard to get a look. Also, in the HSV area the "sky" images haven't been replaced with the newer, sharper ones. You get in close and everything starts to get fuzzy.

Is it clearer on Earth? I may have to download that. I think it's free, isn't it?
G.E. is very clear right down to the roof tops of HSV. As much "exploring" as you do on the Web, I think it would be worth the effort. Also, BING is great but not quite as good as G.E. The big difference is that they (usually) are shot in different seasons which helps with my archeology work.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:12 PM

316 posts, read 342,965 times
Send me the address(es) that you are interested in, I'll check it out and take some pics for you.

We moved to HSV this summer, and have seen a lot of disinformation put out by people who have never been here. We love it and have yet to find many negatives.

Another thing you'll learn is that Garmin's GPS are programmed that the west gate is the only way in and out of the Village. In fact there are two manned gates and 3 or 4 unmanned (card access) gates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas