U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:45 PM

22 posts, read 24,549 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I will be driving south to north through Arkansas in late March and was looking for a cool place to stay. I'd like to find an old hotel/inn in a town square setting, or downtown across from a park. Not really interested in a B&B, as I have to leave the next morning pretty early. Small to medium town would be great. Anything come to mind? I have no route planned, sky is the limit as I'll be coming from NOLA. So far I've found the Downtown Inn in Piggot. Not interested in Eureka Springs, btw (nice place, but want to try something new)
Thanks!

Last edited by Mangosan; 02-07-2014 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:29 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,712,006 times
These are both pretty cool. I've only stayed at the Arlington and I really liked it. Plus, Hot Springs is an interesting town.

Capital Hotel | Historic Luxury Hotel Accommodations in Little Rock, Arkansas

Arlington Hotel

Old 02-07-2014, 10:11 PM

Hmmm... both very nice, and thanks for your message, but I'm thinking small town square type place. Did you see Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? Kinda like that, although I'm not trying to find the Savannah of Arkansas or anything.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,434,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrainak View Post
Hmmm... both very nice, and thanks for your message, but I'm thinking small town square type place. Did you see Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? Kinda like that, although I'm not trying to find the Savannah of Arkansas or anything.
I'm afraid most of those hotels have been replaced by motels. After reading your original post I started "brainstorming" to remember those hotels in my past traveling days all over Arkansas and east Tennessee and find every one of them are gone, as stated above. Good luck, and if you find one/some I think most readers of this post would appreciate a report.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 AM

41,397 posts, read 25,653,808 times
This isn't an old hotel, but it is off a square, near parks and trails, good restaurants. You might want to check out 21 C in Bentonville.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:02 AM

4,817 posts, read 7,092,624 times
Jasper is sort of off the beaten path and may take too much time to swing through, but they have a little inn on the square called The Front Porch Inn. I've never stayed there, but the pictures look nice and breakfast at the Ozark Cafe (a local landmark) is included, and people say it's good. (They may be open early enough to serve you something to go, but even without the breakfast the prices on the rooms aren't bad, in my opinion.) And the drive into and out of Jasper is just beautiful. The web site is sort of hard to find because it's in with the Ozark Cafe's, so I'll post it here for you.

Ozark Cafe - Front Porch Inn Summary

Jasper also has the Gordon Motel in the downtown area, close enough to walk everywhere. It was a little dusty and run down the last time I was there, which was admittedly about 7 or 8 years ago.

Gordon Motel & Canoe Rental

Neither of these are actually "hotels", and I haven't seen the movie you named so I don't really know exactly what you're looking for, but it may be the closest you can come to an old hotel in a small-town downtown area. I know that many people use the words "hotel" and "motel" interchangeably, so maybe you're not being that strict about it, as most small towns are not going to have "hotels" in the strictest sense of the word.

If you go through Jasper, you will be seeing one of the most beautiful parts of the state....in my opinion, of course.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Here is an example of the kind of place I'm looking for:

Historic Blackhawk Hotel Located In Cedar Falls Iowa

.. in Cedar Falls, IA

In any case, I appreciate the suggestions. NWA is a possibility, but I've been to the area many times (beautiful) and it might be a stretch from NOLA in one day.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,782 times
Default Northwest Arkansas but...

How about the Hotel Seville in Harrison?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,434,819 times
Have you checked out Texarkana? There was one like you are looking for downtown on State Line, but it may be closed by now.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,598 times
Smile Hardy, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrainak View Post
Hi everyone. I will be driving south to north through Arkansas in late March and was looking for a cool place to stay. I'd like to find an old hotel/inn in a town square setting, or downtown across from a park. Not really interested in a B&B, as I have to leave the next morning pretty early. Small to medium town would be great. Anything come to mind? I have no route planned, sky is the limit as I'll be coming from NOLA. So far I've found the Downtown Inn in Piggot. Not interested in Eureka Springs, btw (nice place, but want to try something new)
Thanks!
Hi, will you be going through Hardy, AR? This may be out of your way, depending where you are coming from in Northern LA. A small, quaint town on Highway 62/412 & Hwy 63 (between Memphis and Springfield, MO. During the Summer, it is a very busy with antique shops and other interesting touristy type places, but like Eureka Springs. There is a b&b there that is very nice. It is:

Old Stonehouse Bed & Breakfast Inn
511 Main St, Hardy, AR 72542
(870) 856-2983

It has been several years since I stayed there, but enjoyed the stay a lot. Great food. I might also suggest that you continue on toward Mountain Home, AR on Hwy 62/412. A nice town between Norfork Lake and Bull Shoals Lake. Many resorts to choose from. Enjoy your trip. M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or