Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:00 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times

Advertisements

or is it just retirees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 11:35 AM

87 posts, read 119,096 times
Default Northwest Arkansas is the Place to Be

I've been doing research, and it seems best place to be in Arkansas with Kids and for Recreation is in Fayetteville or possibly Bentonville. Fayetteville seems to be one of the best overlooked communities in America. I am considering a move from LA.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:46 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
Thanks. Fayetteville is on our short list, and we plan to visit it along with some other midwestern cities. But I kept on hearing about Hot Springs so I was curious. We love college towns.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
If you love college towns then Fayetteville seems like the most likely place for you. I am just responding from research and visiting a few times, but remember Hot Springs is pretty much a tourist town. Hot Springs village does have kids. Like bella Vista they have more families moving in all the time even though originally they were both pretty much retirement communities or areas for second homes.

Nita

Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 PM

288 posts, read 1,079,085 times
Hot Springs Village is covered by two school districts, Fountain Lake and Jessieville. From the 2000 census data for zipcode 71909 (which includes some areas just outside the Village):

Total population 12,800, approximately 9.4% is under 20.

Under 5 years 258 2.0%
5 to 9 years 277 2.2%
10 to 14 years 345 2.7%
15 to 19 years 319 2.5%
20 to 24 years 179 1.4%
25 to 34 years 525 4.1%
45 to 44 years 736 5.8%
45 to 54 years 1,101 8.6%
55 to 59 years 1,023 8.0%
60 to 64 years 1,759 13.7%
65 to 74 years 3,813 29.8%
75 to 84 years 2,102 16.4%
85 years and over 363 2.8%

Old 12-26-2007, 06:54 PM

9 posts, read 37,652 times
Yes there are families with kids in the village, But if you move there with your kids you will find a lot of little rules made up by the Property Owners Association that are not kid friendly and these are enforced by the village" Gestapo" Police. noise ordinances, where to play.... And then you get the retirees who complain about anything the kids do. ( they seem to resent anyone not retired living there) My wife worked at a golf course restaurant there and was always besieged by complaints about non- retirees and non- natives working and living in the village. Yes we lived there for a while until the neighbors started complaining and saying the kids 12 and 15 should be in inside and in bed by 5:00 pm because that was when they went to bed. And outside the gates Jessieville is for the most part con-artists,liars, scammers, schemers and meth cooks,There are some good people in the area but one must really be selective about choosing their friends in that area. You can drive through Jessieville on weekends and play cool games like "spot the tweaker" and the old classic "where's the dopehouse" It is amazing what you can see. When we moved away from the area the village was almost that bad.Which is really a shame because it is one of the most beautiful areas in Arkansas. Hope this helps, The school district is good,Classes small enough that the students all get the extra attention they need in problem areas and Jessievilles athletic program is excellant with winning teams in every sport.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:02 AM

45 posts, read 176,074 times
Default kids are welcome

Contrary to the charlescamden post, there are many young people in HSV and they are welcome. My next-door neighbor has a teenager and I've loved watching her grow up. Our church has a thriving youth group (which often meets at the house next door). There's a daycare center and a great playground for smaller kids, as well as all the tennis courts, golf courses, etc. In the summer, kids swim in Lake Balboa -- everyone from teenagers to babies.

We have the same problems with kids that all communities do -- there are always some who want to push the envelope. Noise and misbehavior are not common but they are occasionally here -- just like in the subdivision I raised my kids in, in Louisiana. Some of the problems come from renters, whose kids are here briefly, try to see how far they can go -- and that's usually all that happens. It's not a chronic situation by any means.

Families with children, no matter what age, are welcome here. Come see.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescamden View Post
Yes there are families with kids in the village, But if you move there with your kids you will find a lot of little rules made up by the Property Owners Association that are not kid friendly and these are enforced by the village" Gestapo" Police. noise ordinances, where to play.... And then you get the retirees who complain about anything the kids do. ( they seem to resent anyone not retired living there) My wife worked at a golf course restaurant there and was always besieged by complaints about non- retirees and non- natives working and living in the village. Yes we lived there for a while until the neighbors started complaining and saying the kids 12 and 15 should be in inside and in bed by 5:00 pm because that was when they went to bed. And outside the gates Jessieville is for the most part con-artists,liars, scammers, schemers and meth cooks,There are some good people in the area but one must really be selective about choosing their friends in that area. You can drive through Jessieville on weekends and play cool games like "spot the tweaker" and the old classic "where's the dopehouse" It is amazing what you can see. When we moved away from the area the village was almost that bad.Which is really a shame because it is one of the most beautiful areas in Arkansas. Hope this helps, The school district is good,Classes small enough that the students all get the extra attention they need in problem areas and Jessievilles athletic program is excellant with winning teams in every sport.
Don't you think you are over-reacting some and being a little overboard; kids in bed at 5pm, get real. Maybe your kids did make too much noise, maybe you had a bad neighbor. I don't know, but I think what you are saying is very unfair.

the area was originally, like, Bella Vista designed for seniors and weekend resort escapes, but the years have changed all this.

Nita

Old 02-14-2008, 01:49 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescamden View Post
Are these not utterly contradicting??? Good schools and excellent athletics with winning teams but they're also a lot of meth and dope fiends??? If the town is full of low life scum and meth heads I doubt their winning many ball games.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,728 times
I have a toddler and live in the village. There are many more kids here then there were even 8 years ago when I moved here. They are having a survey on the Poa website this month to decide what can be done to be more accommodating to the influx of family's with young kids. The discussion taking place right now is whether they should start gymnastics, swim classes, dance classes, sports, or build bigger and better playgrounds. They are trying. We just need to keep pushing the issue and putting our in put in to inspire the change we want to see. It's a beautiful, safe, quite place to live... But it can be a little boring and finding work here is REALLY HARD. most people have to drive into Hot Springs or Benton for work... But it's just the price you have to pay to live a quite life out in the boons. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas