Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:53 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times

Advertisements

Hello, long time lurker on the arkansas forum. My family travels around a loy although we have never been to arkansas. We live in the middle of nowhere in the Arizona High Desert. Completely off grid (solar) 36 miles down a washed out at times dirt road. An hour and a half to a town of anysize. I say this because we love rural areas and the benefits that come with them. So to my question..... what is the most rural woodsy out of the way place in arkansas. From my understanding it is possibly in North Central Arkansas. We want a lot of acreage on the cheap ( with all the problems that may come with it ) and also be within 45 mins- an hour of small hospital. Where is the wildest, most undeveloped hilly ozark type of place in Arkansas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:39 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
First, I have spent lots of time, and owned property near Arivaca, southwest of Tucson, so I understand your high desert remoteness.

But to your question - You would have to look for "pockets" of wilderness in the Ozark Plateau, the Ouachita Mountains, or the Athens Piedmont Plateau (APP) which is south of and really the foothills of the Ouachita's. "My World" is in the vicinity of Mena, Polk County, which has a good hospital. If I was looking for that type of property I would look for some joining the Ouachita National Forest in the Ouachita Mountains. That way, your "back yard" could be thousands of acres. A problem of finding property in the APP is the fact that most of it is owned by the large timber companies so I don't know if any is available. It is remote and isolated though. I spend lots of time exploring there (see the Link here "Exploring Arkansas") and spend an entire day and see no humans. Wild-life, but no humans.

A long non-answer to a short question, but just to give you something to consider. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
36 miles down a washed out road, now that is privacy! congratulations on living that lifestyle off the grid, i admire that.

anyway, i have lived in arkansas most of my life and the nice thing about it (presently) is that you are never too far from medical and most of the time, great medical. helicopters and cell phones have made urgent medical care a lot better in the last decade. i just read today of three rescues, two by helicopter, in the ouachita's this past weekend.

i went on a camping/hiking trip last year, shortly after a hospital stay that was life threatening. while my doctors and i were a little apprehensive, i was never really out of cell service for more than a few hours each day.

little rock has some of the best medical care in the nation, from infants to adults. the most remote areas of the state are about 2 hours by ambulance and 35-45 minutes by air, from little rock. also, there are some great regional hospitals scatter throughout the state and in each of the 4 corners.

while i can't help you with your real estate question, i hope you will find what you want and find that you don't have to worry about medical being an issue. hopefully, you will never need it anyway.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:29 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Madison County.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
First, I have spent lots of time, and owned property near Arivaca, southwest of Tucson, so I understand your high desert remoteness.

But to your question - You would have to look for "pockets" of wilderness in the Ozark Plateau, the Ouachita Mountains, or the Athens Piedmont Plateau (APP) which is south of and really the foothills of the Ouachita's. "My World" is in the vicinity of Mena, Polk County, which has a good hospital. If I was looking for that type of property I would look for some joining the Ouachita National Forest in the Ouachita Mountains. That way, your "back yard" could be thousands of acres. A problem of finding property in the APP is the fact that most of it is owned by the large timber companies so I don't know if any is available. It is remote and isolated though. I spend lots of time exploring there (see the Link here "Exploring Arkansas") and spend an entire day and see no humans. Wild-life, but no humans.

A long non-answer to a short question, but just to give you something to consider. Good luck.
I have to agree. I live in Mena, Polk County. In the Ouachita Mtns. At the bottom of the second tallest mountain in Arkansas. If you drive 45 minutes to the west you will be in Oklahoma. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess a road trip is in the works. I would like to see the quality of some of the cheaper parcels I find on the internet. I have learned that all land is priced accordingly so am not getting too excited. In arizona it is usually cheap because of no water and poor access and questionable neighbors. Sometimes all three lol. Hopefully, I can make it that way in the fall..... Solar is big out here im the off grid ranches out here mainly because there is no other choice. Is solar a common thing in the "boonies" of arkansas or is power pretty kuch everywhere in the state. I am amazed by the amount of small towns and roads arkansas has. In arizona outside the phoenix metro area, there arent a whole lot of towns of any size and certainly not nearly as many roads. One thing I do enjoy is camping and hiking in non crowded places and hoping I could transfer this hobby to arkansas. Looks like I need a boat as well you guys have so much water. My family of four uses 200 gallons of water a week. Maybe in arkansas I will finally stop taking navy showers lol.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 04-22-2014 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 PM

Also are these rural places alternative construction friendly with permits and inspections? I have a 24 foot portable geodesic dome and composting toliet that in most places is a big no no..... hence the reason for leaving arizona. Even in my extremely rural location its becoming ridiculous with permits and inspections.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:29 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
my bad, those rescues i mentioned above, were in the ozarks. (newton county area)

Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Madison County.
I have to agree with that one. Sheesh, I never use to have any phobias but I just can't hardly go out to Madison County anymore. The more buildings and people, the better for me. When I had my 4/w Tacoma, I'd go out there and every time I came back, I had to get a four wheel alignment. That's some rugged terrain or can be.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Also are these rural places alternative construction friendly with permits and inspections? I have a 24 foot portable geodesic dome and composting toliet that in most places is a big no no..... hence the reason for leaving arizona. Even in my extremely rural location its becoming ridiculous with permits and inspections.
If you are out in the boonies on your private property, I see no problem, but to be sure I would check with the County Judge and if he/she doesn't have the answer, you can be directed to the proper contact. Using solar, here, will depend on the quality of your equipment because we do have frequent cloudy/overcast skies. Water depends on the area. Some have artesian wells which flow constantly, but in other areas you will have to drill a hundred feet or so to get to a dependable water table. Also, with a drilled well you may run into a mineral problem of acid or iron. The acid water will turn everything green and eat up copper plumbing, and iron will turn everything orange. Of course both of the problems can be filtered out, but that's another expense and bother. Just giving you a heads-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas