Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 05:11 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times

Advertisements

Okay folks - one last warning....this is NOT a debate on religion or morality - it just isn't. This is news. If you'd like to debate God or choice or being born a certain way or race or whatever, Politics and Other Controversies lies directly to the right. You may state why you agree or disagree with the rulings by Arkansas courts, but you MAY NOT proselytize, preach, or condemn others for alternate views....and you cannot hijack the thread into a discussion on religion or God or right/wrong or perceived ignorance, nor can this be turned into a national topic/debate.

The topic is the ruling and subsequent rulings, and we'll even allow in the discussion on whether to impeach Piazza, but that's just about the scope of this thread.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-15-2014 at 06:15 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I could care less who they are - they're not bothering me one bit!
I don't care one way or another. I have more important things to worry about. I'm straight and it has nothing to do with me.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:52 AM

261 posts, read 418,206 times
I never really understood why it was ever against the law for 2 consenting adults of the same sex to marry. The state represents all of it's citizens and they should be treated equally and have the same rights as every other tax paying citizen. The way I see it, if the state is going to sanction marriage, then the state has the obligation to sanction marriage of both same sex and opposite sex marriages.

Now if a church doesn't want to marry a same sex couple, then that church has a right not to. The couple will need to find another church who will marry them, if they want to have a marriage ceremony in a church.

That's my opinion, from a left leaning libertarian point of view.

I could not believe it when I heard Arkansas was going to legalize same sex marriage. I thought I misheard. I would have thought Arkansas would have been one of the last states to legalize same sex marriage.

Way to go, Arkansas, for being not just the first Southern state to legalize gay marriage, but one of the first states in the nation to legalize gay marriage.
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-15-2014 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-15-2014, 08:58 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
I never really understood why it was ever against the law for 2 consenting adults of the same sex to marry. The state represents all of it's citizens and they should be treated equally and have the same rights as every other tax paying citizen. The way I see it, if the state is going to sanction marriage, then the state has the obligation to sanction marriage of both same sex and opposite sex marriages.

Now if a church doesn't want to marry a same sex couple, then that church has a right not to. The couple will need to find another church who will marry them, if they want to have a marriage ceremony in a church.

That's my opinion, from a left leaning libertarian point of view.

I could not believe it when I heard Arkansas was going to legalize same sex marriage. I thought I misheard. I would have thought Arkansas would have been one of the last states to legalize same sex marriage.

Way to go, Arkansas, for being not just the first Southern state to legalize gay marriage, but one of the first states in the nation to legalize gay marriage.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Arkansas becomes the first Southern state to legalize pot.
" Way to go , Arkansas, ........
Why are you seeming to infer it was the people of Arkansas who overturned it?

It was decided by one judge

Give him the credit or blame...................not the state/people of Arkansas.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 AM

100 posts, read 164,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
" Way to go , Arkansas, ........
Why are you seeming to infer it was the people of Arkansas who overturned it?

It was decided by one judge

Give him the credit or blame...................not the state/people of Arkansas.

Why should the people of Arkansas VOTE on a civil rights issue?! That makes no sense at all.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdquarle View Post
Why should the people of Arkansas VOTE on a civil rights issue?! That makes no sense at all.
It was on the last ballot for presidential election on the side. It was about two people of the same sex being able to take care of children ( or something to that effect) ... so I just assumed it was another voting issue. I am certainly glad it's not.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 AM

69 posts, read 117,959 times
mod cut

I think the great compromise should be that all states recognize marriages from other states. So that ultra conservative places like Mississippi or Oklahoma, Utah, etc. would be able to sleep at night knowing they are denying LGBT individuals of their rights, but at the same time LGBT people will just have to take a road trip to a marriage equality state, get married, and not worry about not being able to marry their lover.

I dunno, that's just me.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-15-2014 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted as orphaned

Old 05-15-2014, 11:24 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
If the words "man" and "woman" in marriage law are unconstitutional , wouldn't the word " one " be unconstitutional as well ?

Would the Arkansas judge answer that or would he say........."my daughter only wants to marry one woman so more than one is unconstitutional " ?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
the "trick" of labeling every person not supporting the homosexual lifestyle as "ignorant "........bigoted, or homophobic is starting to get old quick.

Also labeling every church that doesn't sanction gay marriage as........" a church of hate "
Bravo, man.

I got tired a long time ago with, "This is what I believe in and if you don't believe the same you are devil spawn".

I have read where some GLBT group has put a big bucket of money into an initiative to promote their cause in AR, AL, and MS.

I'm thinking about having them out to the farm. I've got a huge hornets nest out in the woods, I'd like to give them an axe handle and watch them swat it.

They're gonna get the same effect.

Most people in this state are "live and let live". Personally, as long as it doesn't come through my gate or over my fenceline, I don't care about it. However, when anybody starts shoving their agenda down peoples throats, especially when it's in contrary to 75% of the states populations wishes.

I personally don't care if some guy wants to marry a woman's handbag, but I don't want to see it as a major news item every single day, and that's what it has become.

You know the old saying, "If you don't like it, there's the door"? Well a lot of people have taken that door over the years. When the door opens and something starts following them, expect discontent.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:23 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Pulaski County Circuit Judge Chris Piazza has declared unconstitutional a law that the state Supreme Court said Wednesday still prevented county clerks from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Piazza on Friday issued a ruling that declared Arkansas' bans on same-sex unions unconstitutional, but it didn't mention one law that still barred clerks from issuing the licenses.

The Supreme Court said that omission meant clerks could not issue the licenses and same-sex marriages that had been granted in several counties came to a halt Thursday.
Judge broadens gay-marriage ruling in new order
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas