Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:09 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Deckard View Post
Are we living in a free country? If we call a Police Officer a derogatory name or question them in any way we are arrested and thrown in jail. If we don't pay taxes we are arrested and thrown in jail. We are monitored 24/7 by video cameras (every intersection has cameras in my town) not including who is watching us online. We can be sued for slander or defamation and be arrested and thrown in jail. If we don't pay child support on time every month we can be arrested and thrown in jail, etc, etc.

Is this what you call a FREE COUNTRY?
Lol, your complaining about all the video cameras now.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
yelling at cops hitting them and trying to grab their guns is not "standing up" to anything. its trying to get yourself killed for nothing.
think im kidding??? try doing any of that with the latin kings see what it will get you.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:18 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Guy is an idiot.
Plus a Dousch Bag Idiot.

If that guy worked for me I would fire him for public stupidity

Last edited by PDD; 12-16-2014 at 06:28 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 06:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
This young man is everything that is wrong with America today plus he does not understand the laws.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:45 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Are we living in a free country? If we call a Police Officer a derogatory name or question them in any way we are arrested and thrown in jail. If we don't pay taxes we are arrested and thrown in jail. We are monitored 24/7 by video cameras (every intersection has cameras in my town) not including who is watching us online. We can be sued for slander or defamation and be arrested and thrown in jail. If we don't pay child support on time every month we can be arrested and thrown in jail, etc, etc.

This is what I call a country you have total disdain for as well as scarce understanding of and respect for the laws and Constitution. I suggest a relocation. I hear North Korea is looking for new residents and you won't be bothered by protections whatsoever.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
The guy was a jerk, yes, but he is protected by the first and fourth Amendments. Educate yourselves before making useless comments not backed by the U.S. Constitution.

Wake up and read about your Rights!
there are rights and there are rights; you need to understand the difference. If you are right, what is wrong with screaming in public: bomb or if near the President yelling: i am going to shot the President. There is free speech, that is something we have that most countries do not have, but in this case all the cop did was question the guy and ask for his Id. End of story!!11

Old 12-16-2014, 07:26 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,077 times
Quote:

There are responsibilties for your actions and you don't get that. A child is dependent on you, so don't attack a child because the child didn't ask to be here. You want to play? Life is not a game. And don't teach that child that is okay to treat police officers like trash, becasue it's not okay.

My kid could have been in a car wreck at the exact time and location of the officers that were wasting time on your garbage. Your disrepect of people and your own shallow principals are going to sink you on a larger scale, eventually. I would have fined you, if I was the judge and it was presented in a court of law. I would have sued you if the above example would have happened.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,987,651 times
"Can" and "Should" have different definitions in every dictionary I've had the pleasure of reading. Typically, the variables that separate the two, are common sense and intelligence.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:41 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,145 times
I’ve read this thread from the beginning. There’s a good deal of miscommunication taking place. The issue is not whether or not the individual calling out to the officers was a fool, speaking out inappropriately, acting in a socially unacceptable fashion or was simply a jerk.

The question is; was that person in violation of the law and were the officers response to his obnoxious verbal taunts appropriate?

For the record, I’m a retired police officer with forty-one years active service in two departments (twenty years apiece in one very large, one very small agency. Retired as a lt. in one and chief of police in another.). I am most sympathetic to the officers in the video. None the less, they were wrong (legally) in their interaction with the person doing the catcalling and videoing.

We don’t know why the woman was stopped and arrested. The search of her outermost garments by the male officer, using the back of his gloved hand, was proper and correct.

When the obnoxious individual called out to the officers the only correct action they could have lawfully taken was to ignore him. The scene played out on the video is the common opening gambit to a successful federal violation of civil rights lawsuit (42 USC 1983). They had no probable cause to arrest this person. Their demands for identification were clearly a response to their annoyance at his abrasive verbal taunts. In a federal court, should this matter get that far, they would be toast.

Fundamentally, a person has the right to say nearly anything they wish to an officer (yes, we could come up with limitations and bizarre hypotheticals that might cause one to question that assertion, but, as a rule, what I stated is correct.).

I repeat my earlier comment; the officers should have ignored Mr. Cretin. They should not have approached him, trespassed on his property (they were put on notice by Mr. Cretin he wished them off his property. No exigent situation existed that mitigated this demand.). By coming up to him they put themselves in a difficult and unwinnable situation. They will win the battle (the arrest) but lose the war (the lawsuit). This may be unpleasant to hear for some, but that is the legal system we live under in our nation.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:01 PM

104 posts, read 115,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
The question is; was that person in violation of the law and were the officers response to his obnoxious verbal taunts appropriate?

For the record, I’m a retired police officer with forty-one years active service in two departments (twenty years apiece in one very large, one very small agency. Retired as a lt. in one and chief of police in another.). I am most sympathetic to the officers in the video. None the less, they were wrong (legally) in their interaction with the person doing the catcalling and videoing.

When the obnoxious individual called out to the officers the only correct action they could have lawfully taken was to ignore him. The scene played out on the video is the common opening gambit to a successful federal violation of civil rights lawsuit (42 USC 1983). They had no probable cause to arrest this person. Their demands for identification were clearly a response to their annoyance at his abrasive verbal taunts. In a federal court, should this matter get that far, they would be toast.

Fundamentally, a person has the right to say nearly anything they wish to an officer (yes, we could come up with limitations and bizarre hypotheticals that might cause one to question that assertion, but, as a rule, what I stated is correct.).

I repeat my earlier comment; the officers should have ignored Mr. Cretin. They should not have approached him, trespassed on his property (they were put on notice by Mr. Cretin he wished them off his property. No exigent situation existed that mitigated this demand.). By coming up to him they put themselves in a difficult and unwinnable situation. They will win the battle (the arrest) but lose the war (the lawsuit). This may be unpleasant to hear for some, but that is the legal system we live under in our nation.
Finally we get someone who has some brains! Rich Cape Cod is a retired LE and he is telling the truth so all you nay sayer Morons can go to take a hike down jail house lane. So the bottom line I am 100% correct Rich is backing me up.

Thank you RichCapeCod for manning up and telling the TRUTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas