Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,072 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Jonesboro, AR in the fall of 2015, or sooner. We don't know what area yet, but are considering the university area. We are a family of six, teens ages 12-18, and would like to know what are the high school and middle school ratings. We would also like to know about rental properties. Who could we inquire about this? I would like to know what the employment situation is like. I work for the USPS as a Rural carrier, and my husband is retired and like to hunt and we both enjoy fishing. I feel Jonesboro will be a very good town to live and finish raising kids.

Last edited by redfox2005; 12-25-2014 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Had to add some info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 03:52 PM

369 posts, read 1,302,444 times
In general: Fast growing Arkansas Delta town(population well over 70,000 now). It along with Marion, AR are the only two towns in the Delta that are doing very well(granted that Marion's success is due to it literally being a nice suburb of Memphis). I haven't lived there in years, but I go back often, mainly for A-State football games, and I can tell you that it is a great community for raising a family. General rule of thumb is to stay south of Johnson Ave. Everything north of Johnson Ave(North Jonesboro) has become very ghetto, but even North JB is Disneyland compared to the big city ghettos. Jonesboro has four school districts(Jonesboro, Nettleton, Westside, and Valley View). Valley View School District is in Southwest Jonesboro and it is considered the best part of town. Jonesboro and Nettleton school districts are on par to each other in my opinion, and Westside is considered the redneck school district(sorry, but it is westsiders). As always, there are going to be good and bad schools within each school district, so you'll just have to do your research and see what school you're zoned for, because it is adjusted occasionally. The area around the Mall at Turtle Creek is the main shopping destination for Jonesboro and Northeast Arkansas, which is on the intersection of Red Wolf Blvd and Highland Dr. Downtown on Main Street is where Jonesboro's main entertainment district is located, which has several bars and restaurants and has been built up tremendously over the last few years. There are occassionally live shows and concerts on Main Street as well. Jonesboro is technically in a "dry" county, but it is considered the wettest dry county in America. If you want to drink at a restaurant or bar, just sign a card to "join" and you can drink just like you would anywhere else(weird formality that will likely change after the residents votes to officially make Craighead County a "wet" county). Jonesboro is also very bible beltish, and has many many churches, and still has more churches per capita than any other city in America, which is why it is sometimes called "The City of Churches". NEA has a pretty diverse economy, mainly due to the university, so finding a career in your field should not be an issue especially for someone like yourself that has a lot of experience. Just use the traditional channels to find jobs in your area, and I'm confident that you'll be contacted fairly quickly. Let me know if you have any specific questions about Jonesboro, because that city is like my second home.

Last edited by North Pulaski Player; 12-25-2014 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas