U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:07 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,439,381 times

Advertisements

File:2010 US rice production.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm surprised norcal grows so much rice

Arkansas was supposedly the first state where Edemame was grown commercially http://farmflavor.com/us-ag/arkansas...-commercially/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 08:16 PM

16,087 posts, read 38,439,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
File:2010 US rice production.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm surprised norcal grows so much rice

Arkansas was supposedly the first state where Edemame was grown commercially http://farmflavor.com/us-ag/arkansas...-commercially/
I guess I'd heard of rice produced in California, and I always assumed they could grow almost anything anyways, and partially attributed it to Asia influences.

Arkansas took me by surprise, and even moreso seeing that map, that it's almost a third of Arkansas growing rice as well.

Edemame is very interesting. I used to teach English in Japan, and a guy from southwestern Missouri moved back to his home region to grow Edemame among other crops.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:55 PM

448 posts, read 638,766 times
Arkansas is the leading rice growing state. If you drive through east Arkansas in the summer you can't miss the rice fields and they do bring a lot of mosquitoes. Stuttgart "The rice and duck capitol of the world" is sick with mosquitoes.

And when they don't grow rice they grow soybeans so edamame is a natural segue.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:09 PM

16,087 posts, read 38,439,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Arkansas is the leading rice growing state. If you drive through east Arkansas in the summer you can't miss the rice fields and they do bring a lot of mosquitoes. Stuttgart "The rice and duck capitol of the world" is sick with mosquitoes.

Does the rice get in any local cuisines? I would imagine that rice farmers have got to be making rice dishes for their families, for example?

Or is it mostly for export?

Old 01-10-2015, 01:32 AM

620 posts, read 1,037,900 times
My grandpa used to get so upset growing up when we would have bad flooding in the springtime on the white river..... around Branson. He would curse every rice farmer in Arkansas and tell me that is why they weren't releasing the water...didn't want to flood the rice fields.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:23 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,386,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post

Mosquitoes are drawn to any irrigated field. There was little rice in Chicot county but we still were overrun with skeeters every summer. So much so that there would be a crop duster about once a week spraying for bugs over the entire town. That made for a fun evening of baseball when it would fly over and it would feel like a late afternoon mist in the outfield. To cool off we would ride out bikes behind the mosquito truck that misted different parts of town at night.

Arkansas has a different feel when you get out of the delta. It was a night and day difference just 20 miles away in Monticello. It's the same on this side of the river as well. I'm about 20 miles from the delta in northwest MS.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Does the rice get in any local cuisines? I would imagine that rice farmers have got to be making rice dishes for their families, for example?

Or is it mostly for export?
I don't think it has much impact on the local cuisine. People eat rice but nothing special, just straight southern style rice (with sugar sprinkled on it). There is an annual "Miss Fluffy Rice" contest where teenage girls compete by presenting the best recipe for a rice dish.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Mosquitoes are drawn to any irrigated field. There was little rice in Chicot county but we still were overrun with skeeters every summer. So much so that there would be a crop duster about once a week spraying for bugs over the entire town. That made for a fun evening of baseball when it would fly over and it would feel like a late afternoon mist in the outfield. To cool off we would ride out bikes behind the mosquito truck that misted different parts of town at night.
The difference is that rice fields are flooded most of the summer and mosquitoes breed in that stagnant water. If you live in the country next to the fields you definitely noticed the difference when there is rice next to your house vs another crop.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:12 PM

2,894 posts, read 7,123,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting. Makes sense, that Louisiana would reflect that same 'feel' along the Delta. So, is western Louisiana significantly different in feel then?
Well I think so. Farming in the delta is much bigger over in NE La and eastern Arkansas. Much more farmable land. Even a more intense hunting culture with much more game found there. But much less timber and petroleum industry.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:33 AM

124 posts, read 167,040 times
Born in and have lived virtually my entire life in Memphis. Biggest attraction of western Arkansas to me is the hills and lower humidity. BUT, you trade chiggers for mosquitoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas